Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 712 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Mastercrafters starlight #146

Looking for some guidance in removing the hands from this clock.
    I tried turning the brass tip Clockwise (reverse thread) ...no good.
    I need to detach the motor from the glass and can't do that without getting the hands off.

I've read conflicting information posted.
    Someone said, pull them off.
    another said the tip is reversed threaded.

I need the definitive answer.

Thanks for any help

Default Re: Mastercrafters starlight #146 (RE: sjt1803)

It depends on which motor was used in your Mastercrafters electric clock. Mastercrafters used several maker's motors; Sessions, Sunbeam and earlier one marked with their own name. Some might be threaded as you assert, other versions are pressed on the shaft.
    You may have to resort to a "hands puller" tool which in principle is similar to a mechanic's "gear puller" but in miniature.
    Last edited by Eckmill; 12-14-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: Mastercrafters starlight #146 (RE: Eckmill)

Quote Originally Posted by Eckmill View Post
    It depends on which motor was used in your Mastercrafters electric clock. Mastercrafters used several maker's motors; Sessions, Sunbeam and earlier one marked with their own name. Some might be threaded as you assert, other versions are pressed on the shaft.
    You may have to resort to a "hands puller" tool which in principle is similar to a mechanic's "gear puller" but in miniature.
    The version of Clock motor assembly on my Starlight 146 does have a pressed on brass cone. This Cone has got to be removed (pulled) to reveal a small brass nut holding the Minute hand in place. Below that is the pressed on hour hand, then finishing up with a brass nut and fiber washer holding the clock assy to the glass. On the other side of the glass are 2 foil covered paper discs between the motor assy and the glass, these discs form the reflective center area of the clock.

Steve