Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 714 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: ATO clock

Registered user.

Default ATO clock

Picked this up Sunday, runs well and is very heavy. Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ATO 001.jpg  

Default Re: ATO clock (RE: Steve Murphy)

ATO is a very well know French clock maker, known for it's slave and master clocks. They also made a variety of "Bulle" clocks and I think that's what yours is. They are very collectable.

Default Re: ATO clock (RE: Ticktocktime100)

Steve, it´s an ATO-electrical clock. The system has been invented by Léon Hatot (*1883, +1953), a french clockmaker. (There is know english Wikipedia-site about Léon Hatot, but yo can translate this German site: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A9on_Hatot)

Your clock is a French ATO-clock.

Hatot sold licenses of this system to several German firms: First Haller & Benzing (Schwenningen), later Hamburg-Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik (HAU/HAC) and last but not least to Junghans (both Schramberg). After the end of the patents other German factories, like Kundo also made clocks in System ATO.

May be Hatot also sold licenses to other factories, but I don´t no more. Propably most of the ATO-clocks have been factured in Germany

albra

Default Re: ATO clock (RE: Albra)

...needless to note, that Léon Hatot gave his name to the system ATO, because the French don´t pronounce the "H".

albra

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: ATO clock (RE: Ticktocktime100)

Quote Originally Posted by Ticktocktime100 View Post
    ATO is a very well know French clock maker, known for it's slave and master clocks. They also made a variety of "Bulle" clocks and I think that's what yours is. They are very collectable.
    TTT, you have correctly identified Steve's clock as made by ATO. However, there is no evidence of any association or cooperation between Leon Hatot (ATO) and Maurice Favre-Bulle (Bulle-Clock), so it is not appropriate to infer that ATO made a variety of "Bulle" clocks. While the external appearance of this ATO clock may be similar to some of the Bulle-Clock models, that is where the similarity ends. The two companies operated in France in the same time frame but to the best of my research info there was no cooperation between them; each company had their own unique and patent-protected designs. ATO did license their designs to other companies as stated by Albra, however there is no evidence that Bulle ever did so.

Quote Originally Posted by Albra
    May be Hatot also sold licenses to other factories, but I don´t no more. Propably most of the ATO-clocks have been factured in Germany
    Albra, I would agree that it is possible that more of the ATO-system clocks were made in Germany than the originals that were produced in France. However, to the best of my knowledge only the original company clocks made in France had the "ATO" logo on their dials.
    Last edited by John Hubby; 12-15-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Default Re: ATO clock (RE: John Hubby)

Quote Originally Posted by John Hubby View Post
    Albra, I would agree that it is possible that more of the ATO-system clocks were made in Germany than the originals that were produced in France. However, to the best of my knowledge only the original company clocks made in France had the "ATO" logo on their dials.
    Steve´s clock has the typical French ATO-logo. German factories had their own ATO-logo, but not all of them. Kundo f.e. didn´t have one.

albra