Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    proconsul

Default Bulle clock questions (By: timelyrestorations)

Hello,
    The last time I inquired about a source for the two small springs everyone seems to need for their Bulles, Ray Fanchamps said he did not know of a source. You might be able to cannibalize what you need from a junker Bulle bought on eBay.

Stephen E Marsh

Default BULLE LOSING TIME (By: proconsul)

Att; Ray Fanchamps

Re; your post regarding springs for Bulle clocks
    I have found a company in CA that can make up Isochronal spring for these clocks. They would be made from 316 SS and would cusom made to our specs.

What do you think about using 316 SS for the springs, and could you furnish me with the wire size ,OD. length and wether it is wound with pre-tension or spaced windings.

My email is swolf369@aol,com

Thanks

Blog Entries

Hi Sherm,
    I have not done much experimenting with manufacturing these springs. Thus far I have been able to get by with parts purchased over many years. There have been repair notes made on making the spring, I will see if I can find them. The spring has a sensitive role in the timekeeping of these clocks. I will see what I can dig up.

Ray Fanchamps
    Candidate for Director NAWCC 2003.
    It's your NAWCC, please vote.
    Ray Fanchamps

I've found the diameter of the contact and isochronism springs to be .005" and have ordered silver spring material from the UK but it came in .999 silver. Nice stuff but it won't hold the spring shape. I believe the silver is alloyed with another material which allows the contact spring to maintain its springiness. There's 100 meter minimum and at this point I'm not willing to invest more on an experiment. If anyone knows the exact composition of these springs (contact and isochronism) I'd be willing to try again.

Stevev

Hi all
    I have made the springs successfully by harvesting balance wheel swings and rewinding them to the required diameter. They have been running well for some time now and the clocks keep excellent time.

Michel, Iwould appreciate a copy of the Bulle spring specifications.
    I think there are a few people who would appreciate this information,so please post it on this site.

Sherm

HI, I have a book on Bulle clocks, I bought it in 1998 from Rita Shenton, book seller. It was translated from the original French in 1995. you can make contact at, www.shentonbooks.demon.co.uk
    It is great for fault finding, and if your into Bulle clocks you should have one. I might add I have no connection with this seller. Regards, GED.

Learner

Default Bulle Clock (By: John Hubby)

Hej,
    What would be the proper material of the pendulum suspension "spring" for a Bulle Clock that I'm currently working on. I've tried different isolating materials including silk fabric, but have a problem with the durability of the materials. After a couple of months they all seem to wear through.
    Peter

Default Bulle Clock (By: beta21)

The Bulle suspension "spring?" isn't.

As you wrote, they are cloth. I've had some luck using the silk from a necktie but the best I've made used a strip of Mylar from a floppy disc! Now Timesavers lists them in the catalog.

Some have opined that the suspension must be an electrical insulator. Examine the circuit closely and I think you'll agree that it doesn't matter.

The Bulle clock suspension is, by design, not elastic. The "compensation" spring serves to dampen pendulum motion; compensating for variation in the battery voltage. It's the one that's often missing and if present, can callenge one's patience to adjust. It is the coarse rating adjustment. If it's missing, the clock will never keep a constant rate, no matter how much lead get's poured into the fine rating nut!

Les
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Thanks, Les!
    I'll try the floppy disk. Is it the material from the disk proper that's called Mylar?
    Peter

Horolovar makes a replacement suspension.

...Les, I would like to see your circuit diagram. A quick look at my Bulle, looks like the suspension should be insulated.

Cheers, Ralph

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

I've been using 1/4-inch wide woven polyester ribbon to rebuild these suspensions for many years. The main advantage of the ribbon is that the edges are finished and there is no tendency to fray whatever. Two pieces are required for the suspension, one either side of the blocks. If you put in only a single piece of material (cloth, plastic, whaterver) you will find the pendulum will tend to wobble and that can affect the running of the clock.

I certainly agree with Les about the Isochronous spring adjustment. It is critical and not all that easy to bring into time, but once it is adjusted these clocks run very well.

Regarding the question of the Bulle circuit and the need for insulating material in the suspension, it depends on which model you have. Some have the ground connected to the frame that holds up the suspension, pendulum, etc, and for these there is no need to have an insulator. Others have the ground connected to the back plate of the movement, and on these you definitely need to have the pendulum insulated from the frame.

John Hubby

John,

Thanks for the clarification..

Ralph

The responses to "beta21's" query regarding repair of the cloth suspension used with Bulle clocks has piqued my curiosity.

I agree fully with Hubby that certain models of Bulle clocks and those made by others under license may require an insulated suspension. However, my experience and the illustrated references I have, all reveal a conductive spiral or other jumper bypassing the insulated cloth suspension.

I wonder why the inventor discarded the "time-tested" elastic steel suspension in favor of the non-elastic silk?

Which styles of Bulle clocks specifically require an electrically insulating suspension and have no need for the bypass jumper?

Les
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Hi Les,

On my large model of the Bulle, the conductive spiral spring connecting to the main pendulum rod, has it's other end connected to an insulated terminal going to one end of the power source.

The second part of the circuit is made by the lever horn/fork contacting the insulated (from the pendulum rod)contact, but electrically connected to a rod running down the length of the pendulum rod and connecting to the other end of the coil of the electromagnet.

The lever horn/fork is connected through a coil spring to the frame of the clock, which is connected to the other end of the power source.

Ralph