Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
    Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Post Your Bulle-Clocks Here

Does anyone know where to find replacement isochronous and contact springs for Bulle Clocks? The isochronous is the larger one that fits between the pendulum and the movement, and the contact spring is the small one that rides on the end of the "Y" contact arbor, also connected to the back plate of the movement.

The originals were made of silver or a silver alloy, I've made some using silver wire but with limited success.

John Hubby

Default Bulle Clock running REAL fast (By: John Hubby)

Good Evening,

I just finished restoring my first Bulle clock and it is now running happily.

However I must say it is running too well as it is gaining 45 minutes or so each hour.

The problem is that the small prawls that are triggered by the pendulum are gathering two teeth (instead of one) on the small crown wheel the majority of the time.

Before I try adjusting this or moving that, I assume someone else has experienced this problem before and can guide me directly to the proper adjustment point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Bulle Clock running REAL fast (By: Lincolnhill)

Michael, you have found the exact reason why your Bulle is running too fast. Here are some suggestions:

First check the depth that the pendulum contact pin is resting in the slot in the "Y" contact yoke. If it is too deep (too low) that will cause the pawl arbor to rotate too far on each beat and thus pick up two teeth instead of one. To correct this, simply raise the contact pin until it's diameter sits about level with the upper end of the slot in the contact yoke.

Secondly . . are you using a 1.5 volt battery? If you are applying more voltage than that, the pendulum will swing too far and will cause the same problem.

Thirdly . . you need to check the isochronic spring adjustment. Remove the battery, and with the pendulum at rest adjust the isochronic spring so that it is "just" at the point of having some tension in it. If it is too loose, the pendulum will swing too far, if too tight it can cause the pendulum swing to be too small and thus cause the pawl to miss picking up a tooth on the contrate wheel.

Hope this will help!!

John Hubby

Default Bulle Clock running REAL fast (By: Lincolnhill)

Thank you for your suggestions John.

I will try them today.

Your thoughts on the pin being too low might be the answer. I lowered the pin a little so that it would make solid contact with the "Y" shaped piece. The clock was not running when I acquired it and part of the reason is that the electrical circuit was not being solidly completed at this junction.

Is there any other way to aid this contact without lowering the pin? The movement has been cleaned so the poor contact is not due to dirt.

Thanks again John,

Michael

proconsul

Default BULLE LOSING TIME (By: John Hubby)

Hello,
    I have a Bulle clock which loses about one hour a day. I think it may be due to the way "wires" are connected. Please bear with me; I don't have the correct terms. There is a wire that goes from somewhere near the escapement down to near the pendulum which does not look like the spring on my other Bulle (see fig. 1). Also there is a wire up top near the escapement which looks kind of home made too (see fig. 2). I have adjusted the pendulum as much as I can without it scraping the bar. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
    Thanks to all.
    http://www.deadzoom.com/uploads/UP420855.jpg
    http://www.deadzoom.com/uploads/UP420856.jpg

Stephen E Marsh

Blog Entries

Default BULLE LOSING TIME (By: proconsul)

You are missing two springs. The first image is a contact spring, part of the circuit to the fork.
    More importantly (since the clock is running) you are missing the ISOCHRONAL spring.
    There are several maladies to make your clock difficult to regulate but until you replace the wire with the correct springs you will not get the clock to regulate regardless of other "problems".
    The missing ISOCHRONAL spring does have the potential to speed up your clock though that is not directly it's function.

Ray Fanchamps
    Candidate for Director NAWCC 2003.
    It's your NAWCC, please vote.
    Ray Fanchamps

proconsul

Thanks for the reply Ray. Do you (or anybody else, for that fact) know where I can get the appropriate springs?

Stephen E Marsh

Blog Entries

Sorry, I don't have them or a place to get them. They are always missing these parts and spares are like rocking horse droppings.
    One day when I get a chance I will try making some along with Eureka switches and contact pins ,balance wheel springs and long list of other hard to find parts.................

Ray Fanchamps
    Candidate for Director NAWCC 2003.
    It's your NAWCC, please vote.
    Ray Fanchamps

sweede

Default Bulle Battery Clock, large style magnet (By: John Hubby)

I have a Bulle that just will not run very well. The pendulum ocillations seem very weak. I checked my rod magnet and the field is not the same as my other Bulle clocks and does not have the "south poles" at each end with a common "north pole" in the middle. Assuming the fields have been distorted, does anyone know where this can be re-magnetized? Source for a replacement magnet? My 3/8" dia. magnet is approx. 6 1/2" long and bent in a gentle arc about 12" radius.

Default Bulle Battery Clock, large style magnet (By: sweede)

The Moulon magnet used in the Bulle clock indeed does have like poles in the middle and at the ends. Test yours by laying a sheet of white paper over the bare magnet, then sprinkle powdered iron over the paper and vibrate the paper. This should reveal the magnetic fields.

Should you discover the magnet has become corrupted, then remagnetizing it is fairly simple.
    Here's how I did it: Wind enameled copper wire, 22 gauge or larger around the length of the iron bar. Keep the turns close together. You may use as much as twenty feet of wire.

Make a "center tap" by twisting up a kink in the middle of the winding. Connect together the ends of the winding. (start and finish ends) You may have to use some paper tape to keep the winding secured to the magnet bar.

Next support the bar magnet and the winding on a brick or some non-flamable material. Connect one terminal of an automobile battery to the ends of the winding, put on safety glasses and with a heavy test lead, momentarily connect the center tap to the other terminal of the car battery. Consult the right and left hand rules of magnetism to get the polarity the way you want.

The wire winding will get hot real quick so don't maintain the connection longer than ten milliseconds! The winding may jump and spring off the ends of the bar and that's good.

The technique works and works well but it's not for the faint of heart.

Les
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

sweede

Default Bulle Battery Clock, large style magnet (By: sweede)

Les,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. Your method worked great. My old Bulle has never run so well!!

Ken

Default Bulle clock questions (By: John Hubby)

A customer has just brought a Bulle clock in for repair. The first I have ever seen "in person"! A couple of quick questions; Are batteries still available? This one has no battery present. The clock mechanism looks fairly delicate, are Bulle clocks difficult to work on? Finally, I see Timesavers has a repair manual for Bulle available. Has anyone had experience with this manual? All comments appreciated.

Doug

Default Bulle clock questions (By: timelyrestorations)

Attempts to maintain the Bulle battery clock without Bob Miles translation of "The Bulle Clock" can only lead to disappointment for the clock repairer and the owner. I strongly suggest that anyone undertaking maintenance of a Bulle clock have, read and understand the book.

The biggest disappointment in the book and the orignal version in French language is that it completely omits reference to the suspension device which is silk ribbon.

The Bulle clock is an amazing invention requiring little maintenance but two small springs, one of silver wire and the other perhaps made of elinvar on the finest examples, are often overlooked but vital to acceptable timekeeping. Both springs are made of pure "unobtanium" and aren't generally available.

The spring made of silver wire has the purpose of assuring electrical continuity to the moving solenoid bob. The other spring, said to compensate for circular error, is the coarse adjustment for rate, the adjustable nut below the pendulum solenoid bob is only a fine adjustment.

/get the idea? Get the book.

Les
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Timesavers now sells the Bulle suspension spring, item20857, page 17 in catalogue#27 - $20 is the charge.

Does anyone know a source for the two little springs that are mentioned in the above post?

proconsul

Hi Phil,
    I think you're right on the money. It says something about being made for the Boston division of the Chelsea CC so I bet it is a Hermle.
    Thanks.

Stephen E Marsh