Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738

Default 4624 - another early one (By: Mistyoptic)

This one is housed in a round top mantle case. As much as it is a basket case, all the important parts are still there so I'm optimistic about it chances of returning to the land of the living.

The coil has paper as its outer shell versus the colored twine I see on virtually all the early ones. Was the twine just used on the domed versions to jazz them up, and the hidden movements were given paper since no one was going to see the movement?

Peter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	325584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	325586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	834.0 KB 
ID:	325587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.png 
Size:	625.3 KB 
ID:	325588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	325589

Default Re: 4624 - another early one (By: mopydick)

Interesting - I would have expected a smaller XC or XA movement in a tambour case like that. I suspect that the paper and tape on the coil is from a previous repair; most of the movements I've seen where the pendulum bob is not visible were covered in silk ribbon (as opposed to the silk or cotton cording used when it would be seen). Others with far more experience than I will hopefully add their information to the thread.
    Si non caste, tamen caute...

Registered user.

Default CD about Bulle clocks. Opinions please (By: Ingulphus)

Hi all

Periodically my ebay notifications try to offer me a CD about Bulle Clocks "all about this interesting electric clock"

Is it worth it? I have the Robert Miles translated book. Will the CD add anything useful to my knowledge?

Thanks

Ian
    Last edited by Mistyoptic; 01-29-2017 at 07:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: CD about Bulle clocks. Opinions please (By: Mistyoptic)

hello,
    I have a bulle clock.
    The clock is very important to me and I've been looking for parts for a few years already.

I'm looking for two specific parts of my clock.
    - Driving click
    -Back click

http://postimg.org/image/5vuhcvmkx/

If you can help me find some parts I would be very happy with!
    Even a complete mechanism is obtained.

roi

Registered user.

Default Re: Same case, different movement (By: -roi-)

Same case, different movement.
    since my first post about mother in law's clock (post #480) I have acquired another in the same case but with a BC movement. I've just trawled all through this thread again without finding another similar. The serial is 68405.
    if John Hubby is still reading this thread, any idea of date? Has anyone else seen this movement type? I looked at Pete Smith's restorations on horologix.com and he has not detailed one like it. Seems to be a 'cheaper' option with less brasswork.
    Cheers
    Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	344077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	413.5 KB 
ID:	344076  
    Last edited by John Hubby; 05-18-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Registered user.

Default same case, different movement (By: Mistyoptic)

Sorry, the above post has the wrong title because I did a "quick reply"
    will try to do better

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: Same case, different movement

Quote Originally Posted by Mistyoptic View Post
    since my first post about mother in law's clock (post #480) I have acquired another in the same case but with a BC movement. I've just trawled all through this thread again without finding another similar. The serial is 68405.
    if John Hubby is still reading this thread, any idea of date? Has anyone else seen this movement type? I looked at Pete Smith's restorations on horologix.com and he has not detailed one like it. Seems to be a 'cheaper' option with less brasswork.
    Cheers
    Ian
    Ian, thanks for posting your clock, I've edited the title per your comment. I've documented several with this movement and magnet configuration, all in the mid-late 1920s. As I recall it has a 120 bpm pendulum length but could be faster than that. Based on the serial number your clock was made about March 1925.

Actually this case was used for three movement versions that I've documented. This one is labeled "BC", however when the pendulum design changed from the cord-wrapped coil case to the black metal coil case it was labeled "Modéle BG". A standard movement design mounted on a post having a crossbar near the bottom with posts at the end to hold the magnet was also used. The case design is quite nice and has been found in mahogany and walnut versions.

Registered user.

Default Re: Same case, different movement

Just stripped it down today. With the oil removed and some insulating washers it might even work - lol
    Last edited by Mistyoptic; 05-19-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Emoji didn't work

Registered user.

Default Re: Same case, different movement (By: John Hubby)

Quote Originally Posted by John Hubby View Post
    Actually this case was used for three movement versions that I've documented. This one is labeled "BC", however when the pendulum design changed from the cord-wrapped coil case to the black metal coil case it was labeled "Modéle BG". A standard movement design mounted on a post having a crossbar near the bottom with posts at the end to hold the magnet was also used. The case design is quite nice and has been found in mahogany and walnut versions.
    Thanks John
    The other interesting thing to note is that whereas the other one had a veneered case, this one appears to be solid wood. Sadly, at some time I think it was dropped and so the case is cracked in a couple of places and the movement seems slightly out of true. The bevelled glass window seem original so must have survived the fall.

Default Re: Same case, different movement (By: Mistyoptic)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistyoptic View Post
    Cheers
    Ian
    That is very interesting. I have the same case with an "A" movement. Photos of it before restoration are in POST 503

Default Re: Same case, different movement (By: agwat1111)

I finally got around to finishing this clock which I bought in 2015 and it is now happily running on my desk at work. I bought the clock from Peter Smith in England and it was missing many parts. The case was very dark when I received it and I believe it was covered in nicotine. XA Model, serial # 68239. The case is a bit worn so I took care to simply clean and wax it. The Isochron spring was replaced, silver contact spring was replaced, suspension was missing and replaced, hand collet washer was missing and replaced, hands were missing and replaced, and there were no bolts to retain the movement.

The dial has a cool feature to help in properly setting the back foot of the case which will insure proper position of the pendulum in relation to the permanent magnet (looks like I still need a proper pin to retain the hands)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	353088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	353089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	353090