Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 497 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default French Marble Slate clock broken - help needed to put it back

Hi Everyone:
    My friend recently bought this clock from Ebay, which broke during transit. He was able to get his money back eventually, but not very happy with the process of claims and waiting for the refund. He finally gave me the broken clock, and now this is an excellent change to save & restore a broken clock. Luckily there is'nt much damage to the marble or slate pieces (not sure but I think it is slate), except for some minor chips. But all the pieces need to be glued back. The front and rear glass was also cracked, and I mailed the bezels to AA Glass for replacement.
    I am thinking to use JB Weld to put back pieces together. It seems that the clock pieces were originally help together with some sort of orange glue, varnish, but not with Plaster (Of Paris)

I want to get advice from all the wise & experienced folks on the board. Here are my two questions/concerns

1) I am hoping if some one can tell me about a suitable glue or epoxy to use, and the source or brand name , or some alternative.
    2) Do I need to remove the old glue ?
    3) The clock compartment sits on a large marble base, which is shiny and polished. Should I use abrasive on the (selected areas of ) marble base to roughen it (tighter bond for the glue) before putting the clock compartment on the top,.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $(KGrHqV,!pEF!YYD59E3BQ(L!iDvm!~~60_57.jpg   d2 - Copy.jpg   1.jpg   d6 - Copy.jpg   4.jpg  

Default Re: French Marble Slate clock broken - help needed to put it back (RE: aka)

Clean the bonded surfaces so they are even and regular.

I can see from the photos that you have some damage to the marble - that should be repaired before re-assembly.

Then re-assemble the case using a suitable marble-glue, e.g. from Tenax. Plan how you wish to hold the parts in their correct positions while the resin sets before starting.

Default Re: French Marble Slate clock broken - help needed to put it back (RE: Talyinka)

Id re-glue the case in at least two periods:The center piece back on the base first,and after it is firmly set the "roof" and the side volutes.Ive used AKEMI (used by stonemansons here) with succes in such cases.The surfaces to gue should be flat,even and clean,but need not to be rough.HTH
    A wonderfull clock btw.looking foreward to its salvation!
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Default Re: French Marble Slate clock broken - help needed to put it back (RE: Talyinka)

Quote Originally Posted by Talyinka View Post
    Clean the bonded surfaces so they are even and regular.

I can see from the photos that you have some damage to the marble - that should be repaired before re-assembly.

Then re-assemble the case using a suitable marble-glue, e.g. from Tenax. Plan how you wish to hold the parts in their correct positions while the resin sets before starting.
    Hi: Thanks for the tip. Any specific product from Tenax? They have a couple of models for stone filling and repair. Need to find which models are available in US.

Default Re: French Marble Slate clock broken - help needed to put it back (RE: aka)

Quote Originally Posted by aka View Post
    Hi: Thanks for the tip. Any specific product from Tenax? They have a couple of models for stone filling and repair. Need to find which models are available in US.
    For shaping or moulding missing parts and details I often use Tenax Crystaliquid mixed with crushed stone of the colour I want. If I need to build details up in thin layers, e.g. to simulate the ores in certain marbles I use a UV-setting resin tinted with mineral pigments. This allows me to create the depth of colour you find in the natural stone.

To clue marble pieces together I just use their marble mastic.

It seems that the orange stuff on the slate pieces is Shellac, I removed some and I was able to melt it with my lighter. That brings the question if Shellac is a good adhesive for marble and was it used to bind marble/slate pieces in clock industry?

I can't answer your last question - I have never seen it used as a glue. However, several types of glue melt on heating but are not shellac...