Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 495 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Identifying Antique French Pendulum Mantle Clock.....

Greetings All:

I've been collecting clocks for years now, with only an appreciation for things built that can last as long as a well made timepiece. I don't have any particular training or experience in the field, but something seems to continually draw me to clocks.

I just met an old clockmaker who is winding down (apologies for the terrible pun) his collection. I purchased two (at least for me) marvelous antique clocks. One is a French Bronze and Marble Figural mantle clock. It has a pendulum (with the number 1775 stamped on the back of the pendulum) and the mark on the works is a circle, with the standard "Patented without State Guarantee" written in French at the top or the circle, "PARIS" at the bottom of the circle, and two "R's" the first backward and the second forward with sun-rays between the two R's. I have (crudely) drawn them best I could below.

Can anyone help identify the maker? I am near certain the clock was built around 1850, but only by visual comparisons to other known dated clocks. If you have a different opinion as to the date I'd welcome hearing it as mine is admittedly limited.

Thanks much for any assistance and I'm thrilled to be a new member; best wishes for a Happy Holidays,

Bob R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-12-02 11.39.20.jpg   french clock scan.jpg  

Default Re: Identifying Antique French Pendulum Mantle Clock..... (RE: Bobdrfl)

The stamp belong to Victor Reclus, Paris.
    Can't stop thinking..even during sleeping..

Registered user.

Default Re: Identifying Antique French Pendulum Mantle Clock..... (RE: ClockFanatic)

Dear Clock Fanatic:

Thank you so much; I just looked him up and found a German sight (my German is so rusty it squeaks) that shows all the marks Victor used; this one dates from 1850-1860. I just set the clock up today and we all keep listening for it to chime.

I appreciate you enlightening me; thanks again,
    Bob R.

Default Re: Identifying Antique French Pendulum Mantle Clock..... (RE: Bobdrfl)

No problem. I used to have one by Victor Reclus but with different stamp as shown in the photo. It's a very nice and quality movement. Would be nice to have it service and clean for longer life. But normally the cost might be higher than the price of the clock itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VR Brevete Paris (13).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	155091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VR Brevete Paris (6).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	155090
    Can't stop thinking..even during sleeping..

Registered user.

Default Re: Identifying Antique French Pendulum Mantle Clock..... (RE: ClockFanatic)

Dear Clock Fanatic:

I'm not so sure on the cost benefit for your clock. It may well be worth the effort. Recluse is an early maker, with a bit of notoriety (patents, inventions), and seems to have made a lot of interesting pieces. I don't know what you paid for it, and I'm certainly no expert on price or worth, but you could take a look on liveauctioneers dot com. They have results from all of the larger and better known auction houses nationwide; and it's free to sign up. You may not get anything that's been sold (due to it's rarity), but it might give you some idea of worth.

Good luck and thanks again for identifying the mark for me.

Bob R.