Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy What a shame - absolutley sickened

First, let me say that my wife packs VERY well. Over 500 packages, many of which were glass or clocks. One bowl got smashed and now this.

The clock had packing inside the case, was wrapped and wrapped with foam pad. Surrounded by bubble wrap and put into a sturdy box with Styrofoam added to all sides. There was PLENTY of room betwixt packed clock and the box sides.

What a terrible loss. We immediately refunded all money and shipping costs, letting the buyer keep what could be salvaged. The buyer was understandably disappointed - my wife cried over it and I was sickened. I really thought long and hard prior to letting this one go on the block..... and now this nice clock is junked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	156709_4717725658342_642049523_n.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	154591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59117_4717716538114_1587284513_n.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	154590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	305686_4717711377985_452293357.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	154592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	399334_4717713298033_267944186_n.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	154593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480155_4717708497913_2107349438_n.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	154594  

Last edited by bajaddict; 11-30-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    The clock talked loud. I threw it away, it scared me what it talked. ~Tillie Olsen, Tell Me a Riddle

Default Re: What a shame - absolutley sickened (By: bajaddict)

That really sux. Hopefully the package was insured. It can't undo the tragedy of the loss of the clock but at least it can help offset the monetary issue.

My sympathies,
    Walt
    So many clocks to love.....So much time on my hands!

That is sad. Unfortunately it happens all the time. Once you have observed the inner workings of a shipping or moving industry, it is easy to understand that they are just playing the odds. Speed is the priority, if your package is the unlucky one that flies off a high speed conveyor into a bottom of a big container, that's it, even worse when a big heavy box lands on it. Boxes are routinely tossed up to 20 feet, sometimes with a good catcher, sometimes not. That's just the way it is. It' just the luck of the draw.

Willie X

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Wow, that's really a shame. Did you not insure the shipment? You should ask for the dial, gong and movement, as they may be salvageable. The case, definitely a write-off.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Default Re: What a shame - absolutley sickened (By: Willie X)

Hi
    I had a heavy package I had to pick up at there center. It was clearly
    marked fragile. It was heavy and had an old piece of electronic gear
    in it ( a tube analog computer ). The fellow walk out with it and right
    in front of me drops it three feet onto the counter.
    I explain to him that the reason it is marked fragile is that it is an
    old piece of tube electronics that may now be damaged.
    He did look guilty.
    It did have some minor damage. Where the transformer was, the chasis
    was bent and a couple wires snapped that were routed tight.
    I've come to the point that I don't consider a box and packaging to be
    safe unless it can be dropped from 4 feet and I can stand on it.
    Safe packaging requires plywood and structure. Cardboard is a
    game of craps.
    When I was shipping thing that could not be replaced, I had a reusable
    plywood box. There would be a deposit on the box so that it would be
    returned.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: What a shame - absolutley sickened (By: Walt Wallgren)

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Wallgren View Post
    That really sux. Hopefully the package was insured. It can't undo the tragedy of the loss of the clock but at least it can help offset the monetary issue.

My sympathies,
    Walt
    Thank you, Walt.... I am just saddened that the clock survived thru so many years, only to die an ignoble death. The money was not that much. I felt really bad for the buyer as he was terribly disappointed, and rightfully so. He requested special packing instructions upon winning the auction, probably from bad experiences..... which my wife followed and exceeded. This was bound to happen, sooner or later. Murphy's Law requires that it happen to the guy that was most specific about packing instructions, of course.
    The clock talked loud. I threw it away, it scared me what it talked. ~Tillie Olsen, Tell Me a Riddle

Default Re: What a shame - absolutley sickened (By: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Wow, that's really a shame. Did you not insure the shipment? You should ask for the dial, gong and movement, as they may be salvageable. The case, definitely a write-off.
    Thank you, Harold.......

I am going to take heat for this, but we did not insure it. Why?

My wife had packed and shipped presents previously to family that were insured and were stolen. The P O made claims such a hassle that we just wrote it off. We buy and sell to learn of old items and for fun. We always said that when it stops being fun we will quit doing it. Life has been so hectic that neither of us has the time or inclination to fight the P O - we (she) spends countless hours now fighting medical billing departments, insurance, and privately-paid disability as it is now (I had back surgery last year) .... not to mention the bank hassles that have befallen us from ID theft.

We don't really sell high dollar stuff. We agreed that if (when) something arrives damaged we would just refund it all. I have also read many other seller's auction description clauses that put the return of funds, back to the buyer, from insured shipping damage contingent upon payment of the claim by the P O and on their timetable. We don't want bad feedback and have 100%. A good percentage of that feedback mentions the great packing job that she does. On top of the feedback issue, we want the buyer to be happy and the items to go to a good home.

We would rather return all of the funds than have an unhappy deal. I try to get these clocks to the "right" owner by being very critical of all flaws. I always mention that "if you cannot completely break down the movement, replace-service-repair-reassemble-adjust-etc., and would have to pay someone to do this..... this is not a good deal for you". Heck, I could not even sell my GTB because I highlighted it's explosive nature...... and these clocks always go for 80 bucks or so without this warning. I can't fix all of these clocks.... but I have a responsibility to see that they end up somewhere where they won't be turned into a birdhouse or something.

I truly hoped that the buyer would be able to use the salvaged parts to breath life into another clock. Funny thing, the glass did not break! I did not have immediate use for the movement, etc..... and I hoped it offered consolation to the buyer (and avoid bad feedback on my wife's account).

Sorry for the diatribe - I am just venting here.

Blog Entries

I am sorry to see this damaged clock, i too have seen postal workers throw things.I shipped a watch once and watched as it was thrown about 6 feet into a cart, it could have missed it and landed on the floor.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: What a shame - absolutley sickened (By: Kevin W.)

Yep, boxes fall all the time - sometimes from as high as 15 feet! This time of year it's worse. However, when I do ship, I use at least one box within a box. Both are cushioned against potential impact. I always photograph the packing process for insurance reasons, and ALWAYS insure for the replacement value. In my humble opinion, the USPS is the worst and Fed Ex one of the better shippers.

I choose not to insure because most of what I sell is either low dollar or I really didn't care what I got for it anyway; we just wanted it out of the house. If I insured everything, it would add to my costs and I have only had maybe 1% of what I ship explode. With the money I saved on not buying insurance, I am happy to provide a full refund. I totally agree, one hates to see an old friend crushed in the mail.

Default Re: What a shame - absolutley sickened (By: Brian Smith)

I spend the money on insurance hoping that the "insured" sticker will prompt the handlers to be more careful. If they don't have a dog in the fight, they're less likely to care about the outcome

Default Re: What a shame - absolutley sickened (By: shutterbug)

That's just awful, I'm sorry to hear of your wife's distress. I'm not surprised you were sickened. What is going on?? Shouldn't these shippers be treating cargo like it was there own package?
    shimmystep.

Registered user.

Hi SBug
    That would be true if the person handling the package actually had
    some risk for the package being damaged.
    For the most part they don't. About the only way they would get in
    trouble is if they had a maul in hand and a bunch of packages ripped
    up.
    The package had something heavy dropped on it. It looks like single
    wall box as well. Without internal structure, I would have said it was
    not properly packed. I've seen worse but I've also seen better.
    Tinker Dwight

It is really annoying when this happens, I always put a fragile sticker on my parcels. However it's a sad fact that there are a lot of postal workers ( not all postal workers ) who couldn't give a s**t about what they handle. They go to the warehouse with no interest in their job and just sling the parcels about. Apart from that the management team have strict deadlines to make and puts the pressure on the postal staff to get it done as quick as possible
    Too many clocks and not enough time, Tony

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bajaddict View Post
    Thank you, Harold.......

I am going to take heat for this, but we did not insure it. Why?

My wife had packed and shipped presents previously to family that were insured and were stolen. The P O made claims such a hassle that we just wrote it off. We buy and sell to learn of old items and for fun. We always said that when it stops being fun we will quit doing it. Life has been so hectic that neither of us has the time or inclination to fight the P O - we (she) spends countless hours now fighting medical billing departments, insurance, and privately-paid disability as it is now (I had back surgery last year) .... not to mention the bank hassles that have befallen us from ID theft.

We don't really sell high dollar stuff. We agreed that if (when) something arrives damaged we would just refund it all. I have also read many other seller's auction description clauses that put the return of funds, back to the buyer, from insured shipping damage contingent upon payment of the claim by the P O and on their timetable. We don't want bad feedback and have 100%. A good percentage of that feedback mentions the great packing job that she does. On top of the feedback issue, we want the buyer to be happy and the items to go to a good home.

We would rather return all of the funds than have an unhappy deal. I try to get these clocks to the "right" owner by being very critical of all flaws. I always mention that "if you cannot completely break down the movement, replace-service-repair-reassemble-adjust-etc., and would have to pay someone to do this..... this is not a good deal for you". Heck, I could not even sell my GTB because I highlighted it's explosive nature...... and these clocks always go for 80 bucks or so without this warning. I can't fix all of these clocks.... but I have a responsibility to see that they end up somewhere where they won't be turned into a birdhouse or something.

I truly hoped that the buyer would be able to use the salvaged parts to breath life into another clock. Funny thing, the glass did not break! I did not have immediate use for the movement, etc..... and I hoped it offered consolation to the buyer (and avoid bad feedback on my wife's account).

Sorry for the diatribe - I am just venting here.
    I've had pretty good luck with insurance on items shipped from here. I recall sending back a customer's movement, and having it badly damaged in transit. After explaining that I am a clock repairman, they agreed to pay me a fair amount to make it right, which with the extra shipping both ways, was just slightly less than the insured amount. Kind of a win-win situation.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"