Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1651 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Who made these clocks?

Years ago as a child I owned a small square green glass clock. It went missing and ever since I have been searching for one. Finally bought one on ebay today. Have not received it yet but here is a picture from ebay. Who made them and are they rare as it has taken me fifty years to find one!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	153051

On the dial it says 'Tit Bits Clock'

Default Re: Who made these clocks? (By: BILL1953)

I've seen these before and the material was called lucite? Correct or not, I can't say. I never really paid much attention to them. Possibly they are by New Haven, who made a great number of novelty clocks or at least furnished movements for them. But there again, that is a just a guess. As for rare, I would hesitate to use that term, which has a habit of raising $$$$$ before the eyes. These are just inexpensive little hairspring movements housed in a curious looking case. Nice to use as a paperweight, perhaps.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Hi for that. It's made from uranium glass. Where did you see them before? I have searched hundreds of markets, shops websites for five decades and not seen one.

Honestly $$$$$ mean nothing to me. I paid a lot for this clock because to me it's priceless and when I want something I get it regardless of the cost.

Will check out the works for names and marks when I receive it. Coming to Ireland from Australia so may take a few weeks. Cheers.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

I've seen this same design clock in a multitude of colors . . red, blue, green, yellow, orange, pink, etc. All were 100% glass but I don't think they were uranium glass since they have all been perfectly clear and transparent; all the uranium glass I've seen appears translucent.

There were a multitude of styles and designs of glass-case clocks using the same kind of movement as in your clock that were made from around the 1880's through to the 1950's. Most were time-only but quite a few were time and alarm. I collected these for a while and still have about a dozen of the better examples but don't have any photos to post today. Movements were made by most of the American companies; also by several German, Italian, and British companies that I've seen.

Interesting you mention Australia, I bought quite a few of these glass case clocks in Sydney and Melbourne while living there in the '70's and '80's. All of them were found in antique market shops. Dowling St. and Paramatta Rd. in Sydney; Malvern Rd and Toorak Rd in Melbourne.
    Last edited by John Hubby; 11-20-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Default Re: Who made these clocks? (By: John Hubby)

Thanks John. I thought uranium glass was always 'cloudy' too. The seller describes it as uranium glass.I don't recall my clock glowing. Oddly enough ebay now has another one minus it's works and very badly chipped.

The one I have bought is time only as was the one I once had. Interesting you mention German works....rings a bell.

german firms like HAC and Junghans produced loads of these "Einsteckwerke"=insert-mvmts.I wouldnt be surprised if You found a german mvmt. in there.I have a little table clock with an identical dial containing a 30hour Junghans mvmt.Lets see what Youve got!
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Default Re: Who made these clocks? (By: Burkhard Rasch)

Thank you Burkhard, I have a feint memory of seeing 'Germany' on it somewhere but it is so long ago I might be getting mixed up with another clock. My mother dealt in antiques and I spent my childhood surrounded by furniture, ornaments and clocks of every description! I will examine it when it arrives and post my findings.

If it is a misspelling on the dial, i.e. "Tit - Bits" instead of "Tid - Bits", then it might be German,
    yes.
    Nah, just joking. We'll wait and see.
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by BILL1953 View Post
    Thanks John. I thought uranium glass was always 'cloudy' too. The seller describes it as uranium glass.I don't recall my clock glowing. Oddly enough ebay now has another one minus it's works and very badly chipped.

The one I have bought is time only as was the one I once had. Interesting you mention German works....rings a bell.
    Uranium glass doesn't glow much by itself. It needs UV light.
    It is radioactive as can be measured by a geiger counter.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Who made these clocks? (By: soaringjoy)

Quote Originally Posted by soaringjoy View Post
    If it is a misspelling on the dial, i.e. "Tit - Bits" instead of "Tid - Bits", then it might be German,
    yes.
    Nah, just joking. We'll wait and see.
    LOL here's some more pics from ebay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	153289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	153290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock4.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	153291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cllock 6.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	153292

Default (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    Uranium glass doesn't glow much by itself. It needs UV light.
    It is radioactive as can be measured by a geiger counter.
    Tinker Dwight

Don't possess a Geiger counter not a paranoid American LOL!

Paperweight? This is a beautiful crafted European clock. Not a toy from McDonalds!
    Last edited by soaringjoy; 11-21-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Well, yes, sure. And you believe in leprechauns?
    No, honestly, although a nice piece of horo-history, these and similar clocks
    were called "Nippuhren" even by the makers in Germany.
    Now, that's a term without a proper translation to English... these range from
    bibelot (art object), over bric-a-brac, to trinkets.
    I believe, the "politically correct" term might be novelty clock, but I'm not sure...
    Anyway, these movements were real economy models and the makers stuck them into
    just about everything from doll house clocks to figurines and "objets d'art". Today, some
    of these clocks would be considered "kitsch" - no, not yours, but see the pic.
    The model name of that one from 1911 definately would be "politically incorrect" today...
    Anyway, the moral of the fable is, they wanted to sell clocks, whether they were needed or not.
    It was that big change in the business - from having one treasured clock in the house, then one
    in every room, and then lots of them in every room...
    Not to forget, these clocks are still being sold today - with quartz movements from China.
    And I luv em! Yours will look great on a desk. Isn't it nice to have fun, every once in a while?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nippuhr.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	153467
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"