Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1573 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Nathaniel Mulliken tall case clock works - PLEASE help me find!

The movement, signed brass dial ("Nathaniel Mulliken Lexington"), weights, finials and crank were stolen from my garage where they were stored during a house renovation in a box marked "Grandfather Clock" in August 2010. Fortunately, the cherry case was not stolen. Our builder stole the works and sold them on Ebay to a swift80808 in VA. He in turn sold them to an Englishman in Pennsylvania who took the train down to VA to retrieve them. Unfortunately, Swift80808 has not been able to come up with any information regarding his buyer. This would have been in September/October 2010. The trail has gone cold.

If I could find who now owns these items, I will very happily compensate him/her generously so that I may have my clock intact.

Any thoughts on how I might identify/locate an English gentleman in Pennsylvania who is knowledgeable about early American clocks? I can be reached at SarahD123@aol.com

Default Re: Nathaniel Mulliken tall case clock works - PLEASE help me find! (By: Taglet)

Quote Originally Posted by Taglet View Post
    The movement, signed brass dial ("Nathaniel Mulliken Lexington"), weights, finials and crank were stolen from my garage where they were stored during a house renovation in a box marked "Grandfather Clock" in August 2010. Fortunately, the cherry case was not stolen. Our builder stole the works and sold them on Ebay to a swift80808 in VA. He in turn sold them to an Englishman in Pennsylvania who took the train down to VA to retrieve them. Unfortunately, Swift80808 has not been able to come up with any information regarding his buyer. This would have been in September/October 2010. The trail has gone cold.

If I could find who now owns these items, I will very happily compensate him/her generously so that I may have my clock intact.

Any thoughts on how I might identify/locate an English gentleman in Pennsylvania who is knowledgeable about early American clocks? I can be reached at SarahD123@aol.com

Bump for attention.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nathaniel Mulliken tall case clock works - PLEASE help me find! (By: Taglet)

Have you contacted Ebay with all this info.
    Based on theft, I think they must disclose (be open) to help.
    Regards and sorry
    A
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill
    Visit here:
    http://highercailber.com/

Default Re: Nathaniel Mulliken tall case clock works - PLEASE help me find! (By: Adam Harris)

Yes, Ebay was contacted by Law Enforcement and released name of buyer. The seller, our former builder was arrested and is awaiting trial. He has already been convicted of other thefts of our property.

It is important to note that the Nathaniel Mulliken works were bought by an honorable and very helpful gentleman in VA. He bought them in good faith, not realizing they were stolen goods. He was contacted by another individual who had seen the original listing on Ebay. That individual we understand to be an Englishman now living in the US, perhaps in his 60's, who traveled by train from Philadelphia to VA to acquire the works. He too bought them in good faith. Whomever bought/acquired/possesses the works now did so in good faith and is NOT part of any sort of criminal investigation. It is my intention to purchase the works so that I may restore my clock to its intact state. It is a cherished family heirloom and an important tie to my family's history.

ANY help, ideas of individuals in PA that might lead to this Englishman would be most appreciated. Thank you! SarahD123@aol.com

Blog Entries

Yes, Ebay was contacted by Law Enforcement and released name of buyer. The seller, our former builder was arrested and is awaiting trial. He has already been convicted of other thefts of our property.

It is important to note that the Nathaniel Mulliken works were bought by an honorable and very helpful gentleman in VA. He bought them in good faith, not realizing they were stolen goods. He was contacted by another individual who had seen the original listing on Ebay. That individual we understand to be an Englishman now living in the US, perhaps in his 60's, who traveled by train from Philadelphia to VA to acquire the works. He too bought them in good faith. Whomever bought/acquired/possesses the works now did so in good faith and is NOT part of any sort of criminal investigation. It is my intention to purchase the works so that I may restore my clock to its intact state. It is a cherished family heirloom and an important tie to my family's history.

ANY help, ideas of individuals in PA that might lead to this Englishman would be most appreciated. Thank you! SarahD123@aol.com
    Have you tried some newspaper adverts in that area. Or try writing to all the Chapters, I am sure the person would be a member.
    How did he pay? If cheque or transfer that is traceable.
    I understand its not his fault, but stolen goods stay the right of the original owner.

Good Luck
    A
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill
    Visit here:

Default Re: Nathaniel Mulliken tall case clock works - PLEASE help me find! (By: Adam Harris)

The movement has been found. Sarah will be updating shortly!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nathaniel Mulliken tall case clock works - PLEASE help me find! (By: MD11Fr8Dog)

Excellent.
    Visit here:

WE FOUND THE WORKS!!!!!! The Nathaniel Mulliken movement that was stolen from us in August 2010 by our builder will soon be returned to its original case that had been its home for over two centuries.

Thanks to 2 years of maniacal and relentless forensic googling on my part, clues found on WorthPoint and Ebay, the attention of The Moore County, NC Sheriff's Office (Det. Whitaker), the recollections of a very honest unknowing original buyer (clock collector/ dealer J. Mac Quann of Fredericksburg, VA), my husband for taking over when I was overwhelmed with 20 pages open on my computer revealing disjointed strings of information and this site for providing the important clues that led us to (NotThatOne) an extremely honest and honorable individual, we have located a most cherished item. Thank you all who responded and offered consolation and advice........ having a site like this truly made a huge difference as the members here could appreciate the historical value of the clock and the importance of maintaining its integrity in its original form.

Thank you!!

Sarah O'Leary
    Southern Pines, NC
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 12-06-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: remove name at request of individual concerned

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Glad to hear a happy ending Sarah. Your persistence definitely paid off for you. And KUDOS to Notthatone for doing the right thing.
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 12-06-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: remove name at request of individual concerned
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

WE FOUND THE WORKS!!!!!! The Nathaniel Mulliken movement that was stolen from us in August 2010 by our builder will soon be returned to its original case that had been its home for over two centuries.

Thanks to 2 years of maniacal and relentless forensic googling on my part, clues found on WorthPoint and Ebay, the attention of The Moore County, NC Sheriff's Office (Det. Whitaker), the recollections of a very honest unknowing original buyer (clock collector/ dealer J. Mac Quann of Fredericksburg, VA), my husband for taking over when I was overwhelmed with 20 pages open on my computer revealing disjointed strings of information and this site for providing the important clues that led us to (NotThatOne) an extremely honest and honorable individual, we have located a most cherished item. Thank you all who responded and offered consolation and advice........ having a site like this truly made a huge difference as the members here could appreciate the historical value of the clock and the importance of maintaining its integrity in its original form.

Thank you!!

Sarah O'Leary
    Southern Pines, NC
    Fantastic. I am most. Happy.
    Enjoy what is yyours thanks the update.
    PS. Who at NAWCC forum responded?
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 12-06-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: remove name at request of individual concerned
    Visit here:

Thumbs up Re: Nathaniel Mulliken tall case clock works - PLEASE help me find! (By: Adam Harris)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Harris View Post
    Have you contacted Ebay with all this info.
    Based on theft, I think they must disclose (be open) to help.
    Regards and sorry
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Harris View Post
    Have you tried some newspaper adverts in that area. Or try writing to all the Chapters, I am sure the person would be a member.
    How did he pay? If cheque or transfer that is traceable.
    I understand its not his fault, but stolen goods stay the right of the original owner.

Good Luck
    A

Adam,

Thanks for your interest and suggestions. Sarah was a relentless and diligent internet searcher for almost the last 2 yrs. She found a picture on the Worthpoint website a few months ago that I compared to our pictures and confirmed it was ours. eBay still needed User IDs and item numbers. So we were still at a dead end. I looked at it from a different angle and found the item# and seller and buyer from eBay feedback listings. That was enough for a local judge to get a warrant for the detective working it the case and eBay gave us the buyer and seller info. The seller info confirmed who we suspected of stealing it, a carpenter that worked for our builder during our home reconstruction the summer of 2010. We got a billing fraud and larceny (we found Sarah's golf clubs at this guys "estate" sale in Feb ) convictions against him in two other cases earlier this summer.

The buyer, a lovely and helpful gentleman in Fredericksburg, Va., unfortunately sold it to someone else a few weeks later, outside of eBay. He recalled enough info - english accent, train trip, saw the auction on eBay, Philly/NJ area - that I was able to dig around on the internet last night, which, ironically, led me back to this site - someone looking for a late 18th century tall-case for a period movement about a yr ago. I took that screename from this site, searched eBay and got a hit. I saw he had purchased a grandfather clock tall-case testing rack within a week of when the eBay buyer in Va. had resold the movement. Through eBay messaging, I asked some questions and over the course of the last 18-20 hrs we determined that he did, in fact have our clock. I have given him the Sheriff Detective's contact info to verify who we are and to verify our case and I hope to be able to go up pick the clock, fully reimbursing him for what he paid, later this week.

Here's the clock as it sat in Sarah's parent's home in 1996, I circled marks that match the picture on Worthpoint below.

here is the picture from Worthpoint

And here is the empty case, as it stands in our living room

The finials are inbound to us, from the original buyer on eBay. He sent them to us today via UPS - which is small tragedy in itself - I fly for FedEx.

Finally, thank you to notthatone (formerly sking48 on this site) for your caution, for verifying we are what we said we are, your integrity and your honor. I look forward to personally meeting you as soon as you give me the okay to pick up and bring this movement home.

Sean
    ps - sorry for the large images.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nathaniel Mulliken tall case clock works - PLEASE help me find! (By: MD11Fr8Dog)

Outstanding. What great persistence and detective work and a happy end to 2012.
    Visit here:

Congratulations and 'nice effort' to all who helped facilitate the movements return. I would be interested to learn of the sentence imposed on the dishonest carpenter when his fate is determined and whether he negotiated a plea bargain to a misdemeanor or exercised his right to a trial. Again...a great story. Thanks for sharing it. Roger in DC