Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 627 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User prideofmatchingham's Avatar

Default Nicolet Watch Identification

Got myself an old used watch. I hadnt heard the name of the watch compaany earlier but the understated steel hue, almost subdued platinum like hands and marks on the dial and a perfect matty spotless white dial stole my heart. Steel is neither shiny nor is the back. I didnt have the heart to open the watch for the fear of disturbing the movement as I had done earlier in Venus watch. In some ways, it remindd me of the Venus watch which I have posted on this forum: same type of dial, same sunken sub second, same understated elegance and same minimalism!

Any opinion friends, if the money was well spent or not? And some idea about the company's history of craftmanship? Though it has just been a few hours I have worn it, I seem to have gotten fascinated with it. Its manual wind and in three hours, is running perfect to second.
    Regards
    POM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02050 (1024x768).jpg   DSC02051 (1024x768).jpg   DSC02052 (1024x768).jpg   DSC02053 (1024x768).jpg   DSC02054 (1024x768).jpg  

DSC02055 (1024x768).jpg   DSC02056 (1024x768).jpg  

Default Re: Nicolet Watch Identification (RE: prideofmatchingham)

The Nicolet Logo on your dial was registered in July 1945 by Nicolet Watch Co. in Tramelan-Dessus, Switzerland.

Default Re: Nicolet Watch Identification (RE: Squite)

The scratch you see in the second last photo is not the scratch on the dial but on the glass! By the way, Squite, some more info and praise please!!

Is it 17 J, most probably? Possibly how old? But on a scale of 1 to 10 on for elegance (10 being highest) how much would you give?
    POM

You'll need to open it and post photos of the movement ans inner case surfaces in order for us to be able to answer any other questions. It's only a stainless steel case, you won't harm it any. It's no older than the date I gave you on my first post, probably made in the 1950s or 60s I would guess.

Default Re: Nicolet Watch Identification (RE: Squite)

Squite
    You guys are slowly making me stronger in heart!! Again I put a knife to my heart and the watch and opened it! GAWD!! Its a real beauty and original, ofcourse! Am putting the three photos here for the benefit of the community.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02057 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	151249 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02058 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	151250
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02059 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	151251

The inside of steel has Swiss and Nicolete Watch TRAMELAN embossed. It is 17 J as thought.
    I am telling you Squite, it is a beauty, if ever there was one! A regal and elegant beauty! What say you?
    Now how much for beauty and elegance on a scale of 1 to 10? Please be liberal friends!
    POM

Blog Entries

Hi
    Without disappointing you the inside of the movement and case is very standard and not so 'rekal' as we often see. BUT that said, I am VERY glad you are impressed at what you see. Quite correctly you should.

I would put this watch pretty early, no later than 1950. It has no Incablock shock protection that was patented 1933. By 1950, it or similar protection was being fitted. Hope that helps.

STOP PRESS: Actually I think it may have an alternitive shock protection like rubyshock
    So 1950 or 60ss
    Last edited by Adam Harris; 11-04-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: My ERROR shock protection
    NAWCC seeks to encourage and stimulate interest in the art and science of timekeeping.
    www.nawcc.org

Default Re: Nicolet Watch Identification (RE: Adam Harris)

Hahahaha Adam, you just gave me a reality pill injection!

I am very glad because of the overall beauty and elegance-how it looks and all. Inside movement is 17 j and original. Certainly not antique and worth a fortune!

But why are you and Squite not rating it on beauty and elegance quotient?

POM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prideofmatchingham View Post
    Hahahaha Adam, you just gave me a reality pill injection!

I am very glad because of the overall beauty and elegance-how it looks and all. Inside movement is 17 j and original. Certainly not antique and worth a fortune!

But why are you and Squite not rating it on beauty and elegance quotient?

POM
    Its a 'nice' watch, and I love when other can appreciate a mechanical time piece. But when you have studied and seen so many, your falls about 2 out of 10.

Kind Regards
    NAWCC seeks to encourage and stimulate interest in the art and science of timekeeping.
    www.nawcc.org

2 out of 10 means I am just ging to jump out of my floor! Fortunately, I stay on the ground floor!
    Adam, you are very hard to please. Hope you are not some principal of a High School, I would prefer to remain uneducated than enrol myself in a school where the standards would be so high!

And now it makes me curious Adam. If this watch gets 2 on elegance quotient ( we are not talming about movement here), would you like to post some pictures of those mechanical watches or give their links which would be high on such elegance quotient? (And before anybody misunderstands, I want to see it to keep my eyes open for those watches in future, should I be lucky to get them at bargain price in whatever condition).

Hope Adam and Squite would give their likings. I will also post a separate thread posting My Elegant Watches".
    POM

PS: This forum is a great reality check and a great learning exercise. I find that I have just started on my learning curve!

Blog Entries

No, I am anything but a "high school teacher" - but after studying Horology for 7 yrs, I have seen such outstanding pieces many from before 1900. Noy just the cases, but the guilloche dials and movements with Damascening that would make even a hardened man say - that IS OUTstanding.

I will try to post some examples.

Regards
    www.nawcc.org

Greeeeaaattttt Adam! That would be the gem.

I am sure you and Squite know that you have got a student in me! Though rather dumb but I make up for that with my enthusiasm! ( And I agree about the elegance of pre 1900 watches. Just see two or three weight driven gustav Beckers with enamel dial and engraved weights, pendulum and centre piece and one would salute the craftmanship of those people!)
    POM

Regards
    POM

Blog Entries

Inside case pocket watch 1880 - Enamel Dial

LOOK at this movement - Made bt THE GREATEST ever watchmaker - the famous Marie Antoinette watch:

Or this Fusee English watch early 1855?

Or these Cloisonne cased watches.

Chronograph - Ratropantte 1946

Really I could go on and on AND ON. My passion gets greater each time. Finally these OUTSTANDING pieces:

Gallet watch in Niello and a Gallet Art Deco piece:

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Best adam
    www.nawcc.org

Blog Entries

so what you think?
    mark 1 out of 10 where 10 is the highest
    www.nawcc.org

Adam, the pocket watches are beauty-on beauty and elegance quotient. Intricate and detailed. Those are more of jewelary than watches-in good sense of the term.so No, not 1 out of 10 for them! I will deduct a few marks for intricate craftmanship bordering on gaudy, bright, shiny,loud. To reiterate, I am no mechanism expert. I am rating it on elehance alone.

You have posted only two wristwatches-one ladies and other may be unisex.while the mechanism may be awesome, which I am no expert of, on elegance quotient I will rate it after I have posted one similar simple and minimalist Roamer.

NAWCC forum doesn't seem to be Blackberry friendly. Hence will post further from laptop after sometime.

BTW, 6 /10 for laddies wrist watch.
    POM

I disagree. Pocket watches are amazing to me because they are the perfect blend of fantastic engineering and elegance. I'm not a fan of the gaudy, ornate and overly complex, either, but I can appreciate their merits and the skills required to pull off such a feat, especially considering many pocket watches were made well over 200 years ago, without the use of machines save for foot powered lathes. It's staggering not only that they made any, but how many they made under those circumstances.