Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3697 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Michael Vala

Default Cuckoo with two cuckoo birds-1930s Schmeckenbecher

I have a very old (guessing 1920s-30s) Schmeckenbecher Cuckoo clock with 2 cuckoo birds, 3 bellows, 3 chains, rather heavy weights (I think 875 gram, possibly heavier). Its a fairly large clock and a very heavy brass movement. I'm just getting into it now to see if I can get it to run. Does anyone know this clock, and how the cuckoos operate. It also has two strike hammers/gongs.

Michael Vala

Default Cuckoo with two cuckoo birds-1930s Schmeckenbecher (RE: Michael Vala)

I have a very old (guessing 1920s-30s) Schmeckenbecher Cuckoo clock with 2 cuckoo birds, 3 bellows, 3 chains, rather heavy weights (I think 875 gram, possibly heavier). Its a fairly large clock and a very heavy brass movement. I'm just getting into it now to see if I can get it to run. Does anyone know this clock, and how the cuckoos operate. It also has two strike hammers/gongs.

Hi Michael,

This is called a quail and cuckoo clock. Can you post pictures of it here?

Andy

<span class="ev_code_RED">Try to make the Message Board a fun place to visit again! </span>
    So many clocks, so little time.
    The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168, Global Horology Chapter 192.

Michael Vala

Here are a couple of photos. Thanks for the reply--I have heard of those cuckoos and never knew that's what they were. Are these kind of rare?

Michael Vala

Here is photo of the front--traditional carvings--a rather large clock. Still do not know how it cuckoos. When and how does second bird cuckoo. I will be removing movement to check it out.

Michael,

Your's does look like an older one, 1940s or earlier. They do still make them today, but the quail and cuckoo is a lot higher price when new than just the cuckoo, the reason you don't see many of them.

The quail makes a single note, like "he-he-he" every quarter hour. It does that once for every quarter, so 4 sets on the hour. Usually they cuckoo once on the half hour after the quail has sounded, and they count the hour. So they are very noisy. Twelve o'clock has a gong and He-he-he 4 times, then a gong with cuckoo calls 12 times! That is 52 seperate sounds just at 12! You don't want to run one of these in your bedroom!

Andy
    So many clocks, so little time.
    The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168, Global Horology Chapter 192.

Michael Vala

I got the movement out and not only does it work great, I figured out the sequence. It also has two chimes and hammers--why I'm not sure--they are the same sized gongs and similar sound--seems pointless. But, whoever first developed this clock was probably a little cuckoo! Thanks for the info