Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

View Poll Results: What is the most expensive watch you wear?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • < $500

36 25.17%
  • $500 to $5,000

71 49.65%
  • $5000 to $20,000

25 17.48%
  • $20,000 to $50,000

6 4.20%
  • > $50,000

5 3.50%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Tom Diss)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Diss View Post
    My most expensive watch is this 1931 Hamilton Pinehurst valued about $5K. Due to number of watches in my rotation, its turn comes up about 3 times a year.

Attachment 155281

amazing to me a newe olde collector of Gruen and Hamilton w.w. Your pinehurst is my exact age and I would have valued it at less than $500. Just got a big platinum and diamond 1944 recase with 1936 680 mvnt. Little more than scrap value. Preserved condition. Not a real Hamilton, but certainly an exotic Gruen Curvex beater and embarrassment to use. Prefer an old Seiko chronograph and fine ss and gold $1200. Speedmaster. I really appreciate the Pinehurst, actually. Not the vaaluation. I am learning reluctantly about the Hamilton w.w. reputation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1585a.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	170427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1576a.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	170428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1580a.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	170429 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8172ax.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	170434
    Last edited by artbissell; 03-21-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Jeff Hess)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hess View Post
    love that pinehurst.

Jeff

But fotta tell you , everytime we sell a Freak or an El Toro, I am amazed.We are lucky to have a Naridnbotqie in ours store, but still...it amazes me when we sell them. And more over the 3k to 9k Seikos
    My 90% use for 15 years Seiko chrono was garage sale $3.00 with good battery. art b

Name:	IMG_1184a.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	170436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1177a.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	170435
    Last edited by artbissell; 03-21-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: artbissell)

One of my newest and by far my most expensive purchase to date.

1919 IWC in 18k screw (borgel design) case.

In the world of IWC this was cheap.. being in the lower section of $500-$5000....

My ww2 Omega W.W.W. issued watch is a close second (in terms of value/cost).... and both get worn just as much as any other watch in the collection (that said, I would not wear them to a site meeting - building sites that is)

Marc

Registered user.

Default Re: Nardin Freak (By: nomorewatch)

My wife and I bought a used Daytona to celebrate our anniversary. After that, most expensive is a no-date Sub, which after all the trade-ins and so forth was a couple grand.

Registered user.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Tom McIntyre)

"People who regularly wear $20,000 watches are generally saying that they have no concerns about money and they want others to know that. This is especially true of those that wear something unpretentious like a Patek Phillipe perpetual calendar. They want their junior associates to see the watch and then go look up what it cost. "

I think it's fair to say some people just want terrific stuff --whether it be a high-grade watch, fancy car...-as you only live once.

Default (By: Tom McIntyre)

I carry a 1907 Hamilton PW... But I wear a Casio atomic solar G Shock. Hey, it's 2013, i hate setting and changing batteries and the only one besides me that i have to impress is my 9 year old boy. I gave up impressing my wife

Registered User prideofmatchingham's Avatar

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Accujohn)

There is someone here who wears watch worth more than 50000 USD!
    May I request him or any other member, whether owner or not, to upload a few pictures of how a watch costing over USD 50000 looks like! And its functionalities. Am just curious.
    "Be nice to the people on your way up because you will meet them on your way down."

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: M. Cross)

I usually wear one of my 2 Citizen Eco-Drives that cost me $105 and $90 respectively. Both were discounted by 40% from MSRP. The most expensive watch I own is my Crescent Street pocket watch that cost me $175 on eBay. $200 is the absolute maximum I will pay.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Dch48)

Until yesterday (Saturday) I wore a Seiko that was given to me. It didn't run, and the previous owner declined a repair estimate, I was told. But it was virtually un-used. So I put a $7.00 movement in it, and I use once in a while. Today, I am wearing my Omega Speedmaster automatic, steel and 18-karat rose gold, with rose gold sub-dials. Made for the European market for only one year, I have been told. Somehow, quartz watches of any description simply don't excite me. Not to say that the quartz watch is not the right watch for the 21st century. How can hundreds of millions of quartz watch wearers be wrong? Maybe that is why they don't excite me. Of all the disposable "stuff" that many of us use every day, I don't feel watches should be disposable.

Registered user.

Maybe not be strictly relevant but this is a wee tale about the most expensive watch I ever wore and did not know.

My elder brother insisted in giving me a Rolex Submariner which he had been given during the Falklands war, it was broken so
    had to be replaced. When he got back to the UK he had it repaired.

The normal UK military procedure was to scrap broken watches so this was due to be smashed and tossed. I genuinely did
    not want the watch but ended up wearing it for about 5-years and put it through some fairly ignominous use and pretty rough work.

One day I unexpectedly got a call from my bother's wife, an unusual occurrence itself, with a question "Had I seen the article in the paper
    about a Rolex watch that she was sure matched the watch my brother had given me", I hadn't but from her tone my heart sank.

Sorry this story is turning out longer than I thought it would be. Bear with me almost there.

It turned out the Rolex he had given me was quite rare, a military submariner 6612. When I visited my brother and had a quiet word
    with him, it was pretty obvious he was in the really deep stuff with his wife for giving me the watch. (Dragon is too kind a description)

"Please sell it and lets split the difference" he pleaded. I really had no option since I could not afford the 50% to buy the watch and satisfy
    "Satan's Daughter".

Result and this was back in the days when you could quite a few Dollars for one £ Sterling, $90,000 and it saved my brother from purgatory.

And that is the most expenisve watch I ever wore without realising it, which in turn stimulated my interest in watch history which has been fascinating,
    (My wife says "Obsessive").

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: NeilA)

Tom: I wear an Omega co-axial DeVille. It is caliber 2500. It is stainless and has a black dial and strap.

Registered User Fritz Katzenjammer's Avatar

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Jerry Freedman)

most expensive?..... toss up, I'm about the same money into two watches.

1968 Omega Constellation, nice clean plain stainless on a black leather band.
    OR
    1948ish Ball 999B, gold filled railroad pocketwatch made by Hamilton.

neither one would cover the cost of a tune up on Mr.Nardin's freaky machine but they do keep really good time.
    Beware of smiling weasels.... you never know what the little bugger is up to!

Registered user.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Fritz Katzenjammer)

For everyday wear I have my Rolex Date. Stainless on stainless with a gray stainless dial it is so unpretentious that no one really notices it.

My wife wears her 2 tone Datejust every day as well. It's a bit more fancy and stylish than mine. People notice hers all the time (Is that a real ROLEX?)

I bought my watch new in 1988 because I was tired of buying a new (cheap) watch every year. At $150/yr per (cheap) watch, my Rolex has been less expensive to own and it still retains its original value.

I wear it with both suits and jeans day in and day out.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Rob P.)

I didn't open this thread for quite a while as the title semed to reflect some sort of area for bragging. I voted.
    Darrah
    Chap. 15, 124, 139, 149, 168

My work watch is a SMX Diver with a white face. Its robust, easy to read and water resistant (obviously being a divers watch) and my weekend watch is my stainless steel Rolex submariner (no date)

Name:	smx.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	221639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rolex.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	221640
    "Time stays long enough for those who use it."