Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

View Poll Results: What is the most expensive watch you wear?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • < $500

38 25.85%
  • $500 to $5,000

72 48.98%
  • $5000 to $20,000

26 17.69%
  • $20,000 to $50,000

6 4.08%
  • > $50,000

5 3.40%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: M. Cross)

The idea of saying wear instead of wearing daily or some other phrase was to find out if others have "special occasion" watches that they wear from time to time.

I normally wear my quartz Omega Manhattan model but on special occasions, I will wear my Limited Edition Omega Co-Axial the I did pay over $5,000 for. I don't wear it very often.

If I dealt in high end wristwatches like Patek and Rolex I would occasionally wear one of my top end examples for at least an hour or so at a trade show I think.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Tom McIntyre)

I generally only wear my virtually NOS Rolex Daytona (circa 1985) at an NAWCC event such as a regional or a National. I've had it since new. I have resisted many very tempting offers on this watch over the 25 years I have owned it! Likewise my 1933 Rolex Prince Observatory duo-dial of which I am the second owner.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: doug sinclair)

My most expensive watch is this 1931 Hamilton Pinehurst valued about $5K. Due to number of watches in my rotation, its turn comes up about 3 times a year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mpine1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	155281
    Tom Diss
    The harder I search, the luckier I get

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Tom Diss)

love that pinehurst.

Jeff

But fotta tell you , everytime we sell a Freak or an El Toro, I am amazed.We are lucky to have a Naridnbotqie in ours store, but still...it amazes me when we sell them. And more over the 3k to 9k Seikos

RADO D-Star 200 is the most expensive watch in my current collection with a MSRP of $1,795, street price of $1300.

Name:	IMG_20120725_104512.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	160189

Name:	IMG_20120725_154104.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	160190

Registered User prideofmatchingham's Avatar

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: CurseWord)

Well, the costliest watch I wore was Rolex Oyster Royal with a sub second costing roughly 2.5 K USD

Name:	DSC02415 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	160284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02418 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	160285

The most regularly used watch is a humbler Roamer give below costing upto and within USD 500

Name:	IMG_7894 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	160286

Other three most frequently used watches are Venus calendar with sub second with mystery dial (it has a Venus De Milo figurine on the dial which I havent found across anywere), Nicolet with Sub second and Crawford calendar-all well within USD 500 range.

Name:	DSC01802 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	160287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02050 (1024x768).jpg 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	160288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7823 (1024x683).jpg 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	160289

Name:	DSC01804 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	160290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01805 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	160291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01807 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	160292

Any help on mystery dial of venus and Venus De Milo? Something to do with Venus De Milo Festival in Rome in 1950s? Limited edition? Or I aam optimistic as usual?

POM

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: prideofmatchingham)

Quote Originally Posted by prideofmatchingham View Post

Name:	DSC01804 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	160290
    I really, really like this, it's just gorgeous!

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: CurseWord)

Thanks!

But aam not able to date it or find out about its history. Tried contacting Venus but there was no reply.
    Write ups on net show that Venus company celebrated that festival in Rome in 1950s to promote Venus brand. Breznev made the brand 'popular' by wearing it during his times. But I FIND NOT AA SINGLE SUCH WATCH ON NET HAVING VENUS DE MILO ON THE DIAL.

Would appreciate any feedback from learned friends here.
    POM
    PS: (Everybody has liked this watch. However no one has said that it can be worth more than 500 USD. And I honestly dont know its value! But it goes real well on formal dresses.)

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: prideofmatchingham)

It is, or would be, very nice to own a very expensive watch but in my opinion it's like the man of the 1970's wearing a heavy gold neckchain or large medalion, nothing more than a 'look at me' symbol. The majority of modern £20 watches will accurately tell and keep time just as well as a £20,000 watch and in my profession an expensive watch would be trashed in a matter of minutes. I have to be careful wearing watches as the materials they are made of reacts against my skin, stainless steel, gold and silver is ok but base metals like nickel will take my skin off after just a matter of a couple of days wearing. If you're looking at a watch for its engineering and pedigree then I can appreciate the 'top names' but there are a huge amount of very functional good looking watches out there that have street cred at an affordable price for everyday use and reliability nand if it does go wrong a lot easier and more economical to chuck it and buy another. I think that if I had that sort of disposable income I'd buy a house and rent it out, far better investment and use of finances.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Oldfathertime)

I suspect that the great majority of us who need to know where the money is coming from feel pretty much the same. I own one expensive watch because George Daniels showed me the prototype at the Longitude Symposium. When they became available at a price I could pay I bought one.

People who regularly wear $20,000 watches are generally saying that they have no concerns about money and they want others to know that. This is especially true of those that wear something unpretentious like a Patek Phillipe perpetual calendar. They want their junior associates to see the watch and then go look up what it cost. Others who sell such watches also wear them from time to time as a promotional activity. I think both of those motivations are reasonable
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Tom McIntyre)

I have my take on it and will try to marshal my thoughts for whatever it is worth.

Recognition is a primordial need, after security, food, and sex comes need for recognition. Kind of Maslow Hierarchy of Needs. Same applies to watches in some ways. Watches are different from gold chain, diamond ring or jewelary. These items (gold chain, diamond ring or jewelry) are conspicuous and can be seen by the other person or shown off easily by person wearing it. Watches can be 'seen' but cost cannot be ascertained unless one can see and read the brand.

Hence what submit is this:

A very costly antique watch is worn by rich man not because he is seeking attention or 'look-at-me's', but possibly because he wants a 'piece of history and class' and wants the stamp of approval that he is/was a man borne in class. There have been examples in history where warriors or even slaves who have assumed 'kingship' have chosen names to show that they have had great lineage. For example, Balban, who was a royal slave and claimed descent from mythical Afrasiyab of Turan and thus pretended on this ground to an innate right to superiority and rule. Point being sought to be made is that association with culture, heritage, fine arts, history, antiquities and lineage bestow upon the person a kind of 'halo' and distinguishes him apart. A person of lineage wearing an antique 50000 USD watch is that NOT trying to bring attention to himself (more often than not), but a noveau riche doing it may, in all probabity, be doing so. A noveau riche is doing what Balban did, albeit, by 'culturising his money' whereas normal process is to 'monetise the culture'. He is seeking 'recognition and lineage by association with pricy aspects and things'.

Did I make sense, Tom? Or am I confused?
    "Be nice to the people on your way up because you will meet them on your way down."

This seems like a nice long-lived thread with an on-going and interesting discussion. Most expensive watch I own? What it is worth and what I paid are two different things. Monetary value for four watches all come in about the same: just under $500. Did I pay this much? No. One was a gift that I would never have bought for myself but was received when I got married. She gave me a nice modern Hamilton. I nearly wear it daily which is not always a gentle or clean affair. I own two gold watches: A Longines in 14k white gold (have posted about it before) which was practically a gift from the watchmaker I bought it from (under $200 with the service); I have seen similar sell for 3 times that price. A recent purchase also a 14k gold watch which I acquired at an estate sale for the near-embarrassing price of $40; its current scrap price is 10x that. Finally one watch came to me because of someone's death. An inevitable fate for us all but it is a cost to me if I'm allowed to measure this way. I would gladly trade back to have the person. I also know that won't be the last watch 'passed' on to me. I don't look forward to those days. Although now that I think of it, most of the watches in my collection I am sure are 'some dead persons' watch.

A morose thought maybe but whether the watch cost $3 or $30,000, eventually it will become the remains of a 'prior owner'. We can't take it with us.
    I like Longines and Gruen. Currently learning...
    -JackW

Hi there members and dedicated horologists,

You may find this tidbit amusing...

The most expensive watch I "WORE" (Note the past-tense) actually originally cost me nothing to acquire. I actually found it in a discarded can full of screws, nails and bolts I "liberated" from a scrap metal collection container at my (then) local trash transfer collection station.

It was a lovely old Girrard Perigeaux (?sp) whose stem and crown had some strange "hook-in" kind of thing going.

I had brought it to my friend who is a retail jeweler. He in turn had a watchmaker overhaul the thing and replace some parts. This cost me the better part of $200. I also purchased a fine quality watch strap (being a closet megalomaniac) for another $150 and wore it home.

2 days later, while washing dishes in my sink I discovered I had forgotten to remove the watch (not water resistant) from my wrist. It made a lovely portable fish tank! I was so infuriated with myself I just tossed it on the counter and there it stayed until I could manage to calm down. (Two weeks and a scotch or two later)

So back to the jeweler it went, this time costing around $350 for restoration and rust removal. As the strap was still okay I elected not to delve further into my wallet at that time. When back, I had it on all of about 3 or 4 days when I somehow lost the crown! Back to the jeweler for another $45 genuine GP part.

Then, as autumn had set in I was wearing my "free" watch and enjoying life... until I decided to split wood manually. This pretty much scattered the guts into horological hodgepodge.

Some 5 years (and a divorce) later I managed to find the freebie again. I brought it back to the jeweler who sent it back to the watchmaker who sent it back to me with a $225 repair bill. Now I jumped off into the deep end again for another fine watch strap costing $###. (You remember I mentioned a divorce here...)

Well 3 days later, at the home of my (then girlfriend) wife it was time for bed. Up to our bedchamber we went, only to discover "Benny", one of our retired racing Greyhounds had "Benny-ated" my GP! The crystal had a hole in the base at the 6 o'clock position (where the sub-dial for the second sweep was) and there was little more than a stub where once there was luxurious genuine reptile strap. The case... a goner. "Tempus et morte". All I could do was to laugh. It was better than screaming.

So that's my story of a free watch that turned out to be probably the most expensive watch I'll have ever owned. (I've had a few Rolex's but that's another story for another time)

Keep smiling!

Jeff at Lumpkin & Beas

Blog Entries

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Lumpkin & Beas)

Good thing you don't own one of those guns with a large magazine, who knows what would have happened to girlfriend and dog. Sorry to hear about the demise of the "free" watch.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: richiec)

I almost always wear a pocket watch, but when I need to wear a wristwatch (due to no watch pocket in some pants) I have a few from which I can choose. What would probably be the most expensive one is this International Watch Co. calibre 82 from around 1920. It is in an 18K Cressarrow case. I will wear it for weddings or other fancy occasions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IWC_c82.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	168205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IWC_c82m.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	168206  
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174