Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

View Poll Results: What is the most expensive watch you wear?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • < $500

37 25.52%
  • $500 to $5,000

72 49.66%
  • $5000 to $20,000

25 17.24%
  • $20,000 to $50,000

6 4.14%
  • > $50,000

5 3.45%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Question The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak)

In the European Pocket Watch Forum, the subject of the Freak came up and the position was expressed that such an expensive watch would, of necessity, not be worn. I think that may not be true. It really depends on the attitude of the owner.

I have an Omega Manhattan first edition that I wear every day and have had to have almost all the bracelet pins replaced over the last 15 years I have been wearing it. I also have a first edition Co-Axial DeVille that I wear on most special occasions.

I wonder how many here have wristwatches in the Freak's price range (>$50,000) that they wear on a regular basis. On a statistical basis, we should have around 20 billionaires using the Message Board for whom such a watch would be a nice thing to wear.

I will set up an anonymous poll in case people do not want to identify themselves.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Nardin Freak (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    In the European Pocket Watch Forum, the subject of the Freak came up and the position was expressed that such an expensive watch would, of necessity, not be worn. I think that may not be true. It really depends on the attitude of the owner.

I have an Omega Manhattan first edition that I wear every day and have had to have almost all the bracelet pins replaced over the last 15 years I have been wearing it. I also have a first edition Co-Axial DeVille that I wear on most special occasions.

I wonder how many here have wristwatches in the Freak's price range (>$50,000) that they wear on a regular basis. On a statistical basis, we should have around 20 billionaires using the Message Board for whom such a watch would be a nice thing to wear.

I will set up an anonymous poll in case people do not want to identify themselves.
    Since I became interested in the Freak, I have been checking its prices all the time, I think the Freak will not exceed $30,000 easily, so please do not see it as an expensive monster.

And, my apology for making trouble in your forum this time by crossing the border in a pocket watch section.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nardin Freak (By: nomorewatch)

The retail asking price on the new Freak Diavolo appears to be $163,000. Even if that is keystone, it would be difficult to buy one under $80,000. The older model and second hand examples could be much less expensive and Asian knock offs will be much cheaper at under $300 for something that looks like one on the wrist.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    The retail asking price on the new Freak Diavolo appears to be $163,000. Even if that is keystone, it would be difficult to buy one under $80,000. The older model and second hand examples could be much less expensive and Asian knock offs will be much cheaper at under $300 for something that looks like one on the wrist.
    I only aim the version 1.5, which market price is around $25,000 to $30,000USD, I firmly believe that the later versions of the Freak are just black-holes of money----they are almost worthless since there are no more major changes to the mechanism but only changes of color or unnecessary complications.

BTW, are there really any competent replica of the Freak? I thought it's quite technically impossible to copy it without the right equipment and material.

If they made a version of the Freak that was <40 mm I'd wear it. Some of DeBethune's models are freakin' awesome too (pardon the obvious pun), and I had a Richard Mille RM035 on at last years Timekeeper show in NYC that felt like it was built around my wrist. If I ever get to that level of income, I could see myself wearing something like that as a day off / casual watch. The ones I've just mentioned are too avante garde for me to ever wear to work with a suit & tie since I waver from the strict dress watch code only slightly by maybe allowing a second hand.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nardin Freak (By: ulackfocus)

I made this thread sticky because polls that are active do not get bumped back to the top of the thread list. I will unstick it when we have a reasonable number of poll votes.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Tom McIntyre)

I like compact chronograph w.w. so a yellow faced very bright luminus dial Seiko quartz with worn gold plating has seen 90% use for last ten years. Came with good battery at house sale for $3. As an indiscriminate collecter I have fine Omega, Lemania others that are seldom used.

Sieko and nice compact alternate Marcel seldom used. have $5000+ Omega as most expensive but never used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8124az.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	151421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	151422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1184.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	151423
    Last edited by artbissell; 11-05-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Tom McIntyre)

My previous posting seems obnoxious wiseguy comment although it was intended to be merely a report about my actual w.w. use. I recently bought the latest Seiko chronograph of reasonably compact size with similar movement to replace my old one, but it is so far unused. Noticed Seikos are being discounted heavily lately.
    At my 4 score age I seem to have some superstition and unease about giving up such a personal, usefully dependable, item. Sort of like my now gone wife.
    Much pleasant circumstances in last few years shared with it; so perhaps as well a good luck charm. ----strangely sentimental about a $3. watch------

Blog Entries

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: artbissell)

Not snarky at all Art. I seldom wear my $5K plus Omega, but it seems I have worn it enough that the strap is starting to crack and will need to be replaced.

I am surprised that so few readers of this forum wear watches at all. (Only 24 poll responses the last time I looked.)
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Tom,

Especially puzzling considering the 482 views of the thread! The percentage responses indicate the preferences for above average to expensive watches as preferred by frequenters of this MB which are quite different to the preferences of John Q Public who seems to prefer watches up to about $ 100.00! I wonder if there might be more interest in the thread if you "dropped" the names of makes and models of the watches reported in the survey. Look for PMS from anyone who wanted to name the watch they included in your poll. Look for a PM from me.
    Last edited by doug sinclair; 11-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: doug sinclair)

I wear a Citizen quartz during the week and an American Waltham pocket watch on weekends. The one on weekends is a 7 jewel 1883 that keeps time within a couple of minutes a week.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: richiec)

Currently, I am wearing a Casio G-Shock which is solar-driven, wave-control, and it's running great.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: nomorewatch)

I will wear this one If I find someone to restore it. Lucky me it is still working but needs some make up. It is a conversion of a pocket watch to a wrist watch so I think there is not many people wearing this And price... I do not know. Hope it is more then restoring
    Tom I am sure it is not in the Freak's price range Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	153338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	153339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	153340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	153341
    Last edited by Angelus2; 11-20-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Registered user.

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Angelus2)

My everyday watch is my Stainless 1000 Series Tag Heuer, brand new in 1987, worn every day and night, and showered with, for the last 25 years, used in the sea whilst swimming and snorkelling, it's had a couple of services and batteries, it's been battered and bashed (at the last service they wouldn't guarantee the waterproofing due to the scratches in the glass), but it's never let me down (apart from when it lets me know it needs a new battery ;-)).

I often try some of the others I've got, but still straight back to the TAG every time, after 25 years the links in the strap have all stretched slightly to fit my wrist, it's not too heavy or light and I wouldn't replace it. I'll buy more watches, but this will always be my everyday watch.

Pete

Default Re: The most expensive watch you wear (was Nardin Freak) (By: Pete Restall)

I wear watches daily, and today am wearing my Wenger GST 27j Chronograph, but usually reach for one of my pocket watches.

I think the reason many aren't replying is they may be scared off by the huge prices being tossed around above. If my Wenger weren't essentially bullet proof, I probably wouldn't wear it either, as last listing I saw on it was around $1700....if you can find them with the 7750 Valjoux movement.

Regards! Mark