Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 713 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Need a new bell scheduler. Any suggestions?

I have an old Lathem clock ringing bells at a high school. I need a replacement. I'm looking at the American Time and Signal Allsync master. It has the schedule capacity that I need and has an ethernet interface. The would be a real plus. The principal could edit schedules right from a computer.

An ethernet connection or at least a wired connection to a PC would be great. Ethernet would be best. The allsync master also has NTP to set the time. That would be another plus.

The minus. It's fairly expensive. Ethernet, 6 signal circuits & no clock circuits for about $900.

Does anyone have any alternatives? Suggestions?

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Need a new bell scheduler. Any suggestions? (RE: lmester)

Hi, Luke. Tough choices. If you are only using this clock to ring bells, check out a Simplex 6100 program clock. Advantages over ATS: cheaper, proven, easy to learn programming, more likely to find local service in the event of a problem. It has no computer interface capability (unless they have changed it). It can be used to control slave clocks (wired sync type), has 4 circuits, each with 4 possible schedules, and no limit of the number of times to be programmed.
    I haven't had much experience with new products over the past 10 years. School boards here for the most part have switched to using their PA system to ring bells, mostly using DuKane systems. If your school is also in need of a PA system, this is something to look at.
    I have had a few problems with ATS over the years, but haven't dealt with them in the past 12 years or so, so my experiences may no longer be valid.
    Hope this helps.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

The school changed to a rotating bell schedule. Three different schedules used during the week. That's one of the problems I have with the Lathem. It only has 8 schedules. I'll need more than that just for the snow delay, early dismissal and assembly schedule. Also the keypad is going bad and the worst problem is that the principal can't learn how to program it. Guess who inherited that job?

I was looking for Simplex on the web. All I could find was SimplexGrinnel. I guess they must have merged with another co. They had no master clocks listed on their site. Only some slave clocks. It looks like master clocks are becoming a rare item It looks like most suppliers are going to POE NTP Ethernet clocks. There are also a few wireless clock systems for sale.

I do need to replace the PA too. Also becoming rare. Most everyone is using their phone system for paging.

A master clock is really overkill since I don't need to set clocks. Not very many good choices out there.

I decided to go with the Allsync master. Right now it's sitting on my desk. I'll probably install it over the thanksgiving holiday. The web interface is really nice. It's much easier to program the schedules than using the keypad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ATS AllSync 001.jpg   ATS AllSync 002.jpg