Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 746 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Gedeon Thommen pocket watch

I just inherited a pocket watch which I believe was manufactured by Gedeon Thommen. It has GT within an oval marked on the case and on the movement. I am interested in knowing the quality of the movement and if it is possible to date the watch, since I can see no serial number, except on the .800 silver case. The dial of the watch has no name on it. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Default Re: Gedeon Thommen pocket watch (RE: dyb225)

It's a bit difficult to determine the quality of the watch without a photo, wouldn't you say?

Default Re: Gedeon Thommen pocket watch (RE: MartyR)

You're absolutely correct.

Certainly it's a Thommen. I'd describe this as a run-of-the-mill movement - the design is found in very large quantities.

Gedeon Thommen founded his company in 1853 and I guess it could have been made any time from then but probably not much after 1880. It has a solid brass balance wheel and compensated balance wheels were the norm by the 1880s I believe.

The movement certainly looks in very good condition!

This Thommen movement contains a 10 jewel cylinder escapement, most of which did not use compensated balance wheels. My guess at dating would be the last quarter of the 19th century.
    Ed Ueberall
    The Escapement Home Page - Vintage Watch Restoration

Default Re: Gedeon Thommen pocket watch (RE: rrwatch)

Looks familiar...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin4_GT_Mvmt.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	148011
    Maybe the hallmarks on the case can help you date it more accurately?

Default Re: Gedeon Thommen pocket watch (RE: Squite)

Thanks so much for the information. I'm new at watch collecting, so please excuse my stupidity. Does "run of the mill" mean that it is poor quality? For Squite--here is a picture of the hallmarks on the case. Sorry for the delay in responding--was out of town. Thanks again.

The casemarks are virtually identical to mine. The grouse is Swiss and was used after 1882, the Crown/Moon are German and used after 1886, so your watch was made by Thommen and cased in Switzerland (also by Thommen) for the German market sometime after 1886, just like mine

I actually love this little watch - mine's almost a US size 12. I got it for around $20 online (the picture posted by the seller was horrendous and the second hand was off, but it was included & I popped it back on 1st try).

I wouldn't consider 'run of the mill' the same as 'poor quality'. 10 Jewels is pretty much as 'fully jeweled' a cylinder escapement as you'll find. Cylinder escapements had to be considered fairly reliable for their day as they were pretty commonly used for most of the 18th and 19th centuries. They just aren't considered to be very special, and as a result they aren't of much interest to many collectors. They get dirty easily and are somewhat more fragile than the lever escapements, but more accurate than the duplex. That's my take on them, anyway. I've never paid more than $60 for a working and cased cylinder escapement movement, and over the years I've gotten quite a few of them for around half of that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin4_Engr.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	148074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin4_Fc.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	148075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin4_Hlmrk.jpg 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	148076
    Last edited by Squite; 10-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Default Re: Gedeon Thommen pocket watch (RE: Squite)

Thanks so much for the information. My case looks exactly like yours (monogram area), but yours is fancy around the edges--mine's plain. Yours looks to be in fantastic cosmetic shape. The dial on mine is perfect, but the silver needs cleaning.
    No one has answered my question about the quality of the movement. Should I be happy that it's still working and leave it at that?

Thanks for your edited reply. I really appreciate your time.
    Last edited by dyb225; 10-08-2012 at 10:06 AM.

I also have a smaller, plainer example, though it's not a Thommen (I don't think):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin7_Engr.jpg 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	148077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin7_Fc.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	148078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin7_Hlmrk.jpg 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	148079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin7_Mvmt.jpg 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	148082
    I haven't found a maker attributed to the 'daisy' mark stamped on this movement yet, but it's so similar, it's like a mini version of the Thommen, in almost as good a shape.

Quote Originally Posted by dyb225 View Post
    Does "run of the mill" mean that it is poor quality?
    I used the term, and what I mean is that it's a high-volume mid-price (in its day) dependable movement. So not at all "poor" quality, but rather average quality.

Incidentally, "galonne" is the name for the material of the case. From memory, it's silver gilt or silver with gold plate ... I can't quite remember.

Default Re: Gedeon Thommen pocket watch (RE: MartyR)

Quote Originally Posted by MartyR View Post
    Incidentally, "galonne" is the name for the material of the case. From memory, it's silver gilt or silver with gold plate ... I can't quite remember.
    galonne = 'striped' in french

Not so much the material as the application. Some galonne cases are clearly rose gold wash or plate over silver, but others I'm not sure. I have yet to dismantle one to find out for certain. I'm guessing if any banding was done in solid gold it'd probably have to be hallmarked somehow as such. No doubt they must have plated the rims before attaching them to the case.

The French had another name for a similar treatment...double d'or...double (layer) of gold, ie, gold-filled.