Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3126 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kevin S

Default White metal repair (RE: Kevin S)

I posted this on Early electrics but it may have to be a repair if I can't find the part. Had a small white metal bracket support on a Tiffany neverwind break in shipping to me. Clod packed the pendulum bob in with the clock and clock was packed with loose paper. Some people will not take any suggestions on shipping...but anyway, anyone have any success repairing white metal? Thanks, Kevin
    Broken part

Kevin S

Default White metal repair

I posted this on Early electrics but it may have to be a repair if I can't find the part. Had a small white metal bracket support on a Tiffany neverwind break in shipping to me. Clod packed the pendulum bob in with the clock and clock was packed with loose paper. Some people will not take any suggestions on shipping...but anyway, anyone have any success repairing white metal? Thanks, Kevin
    Broken part

Kev,White Metal or Pot Metal,whatever you prefer to call it is usually a zinc or aluminum based alloy that is great for casting because of the material economics but a b**** to weld because of the alloy content.I taught welding for thirteen years and welded for thirty seven and my experience with pot metal has always been a weld and cross your fingers and hope it holds approach,especially the zinc based pot metals.They do make a welding rod specifically for pot metals but I personally haven't used it and I would tend to look at it with a jaundiced eye being that pot metal is not a true alloy .
    My own suggestion.In these days of space age two part epoxies I would clean the hell out of the broken area and put a bevel around both circumferences of the broken ends.Apply your epoxy and let it cure and dress it down.I don't think that quality of repair would insult you.I have heard of some folks who have used J.B.Weld with some success on pot metal.Personally I have never tried it.
    Best of luck with your repair.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Hello Kevin

Sometimes I get lucky and it solders really easily. Sometimes. File it up well to clean it.

I try it in an inconspicuous area on the part first. If it won't take then try JB weld or other epoxy as Robert suggests.

Stewart

I don't know the function of this piece. Yes, with some imagination and a myriad of products ( loctite any good here? ) - yeah. I think you can mend it. HOWEVER. If it doesn't have a load bearing function. If it must support a load, then successful mending is improbable. Decorative? No problem-O

Blog Entries

I am with Rob on this one, i would go with epoxy, i do some welding but white metal i would avoid to weld, it,s the bottom of metals for me, like a catfish compared to bass, boy i am off subject here.
    P.S My name is Kevin also, looked odd to see my name posting.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Kevin S

Thanks for all the input, luckily the piece does not have to hold the weight of the pendulum, which is a "beefy" one. I did use JB weld in the past on a car with great results. Didn't think of that one. My only comment for Kevin in Canada is that you have obviously never eaten catfish prepared in New Orleans. Possibly the best fish I've ever eaten! Thanks again, Kevin
    George Tiffany Electric Torsion

I've seen on the web an item called Super Alloy, which is supposed to be a solder for white metal etc. I've never tried it, but thought you might like the info in case you're adventuresome. Check out this site..

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

"yeah" Try it, let us know how it works and if it's good, BONG'll buy some!

Blog Entries

Kevin S, it,s not i don,t like eating catfish, it,s the catching part.Ugliest fish i ever caught and it has a voice.
    I was not intending to put down catfish as a whole.They are good, i have eaten them, fillets of catfish go for around 3 dollars here.

Kev,I take exception to your post.Everyone in Georgia knows that the best deep fried catfish around is at the Lighthouse in Orchid Hill,Georgia.All you can eat for $9.95..I'm in Delaware and all you can get here are Mrs Pauls Frozen Fish Sticks. Sorry for deviating so far from the original post but you're talking about something close to my heart and stomach.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Kevin S

Seems I've opened a can of worms...some pun intended. Didn't realize catfish spurred such emotion. Guess I'll have to make a detour through Orchid Hill, Ga. to critique your meal Bob. I am partial to cajun cooking therefore I'd expect the Lighthouse would lose out.

Blog Entries

I said, i like eating them, not catching them, and i do like cajun food.I like the spicy stuff.Bob if i ever get a chance i will go south for some good catfish eating.
    I just find as a fish, they are not what i would keep if i caught one, and i have only caught about 4.
    But eating them is another story, mmm.

I hear tell that catfish guts are excellent for repairing white metal. Simply bind them around the wound and leave in a warm place for 72 hours or so.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Registered user. Mike306p/Ansoniaman's Avatar

I have used JB Weld for minor jobs. The guys that use a torch have to be very careful as the spelter melts heating it up to melt the solder . DUH ...I goof it up and do not want to destroy a good piece. Warning if you are going to use heat.Try it out on a not so good or a broken down statue that is of no use anyway.There is a low temp solder, I think Timesavers sells it. For what this is worth. Nothing I spose. Back to the original post by Kevin S. JB Weld would seem to be perfect for that small job , as heat would destroy the rest of that piece.My opinion. Thanks to bangster for the tip on Super Alloy. I will look for some of it, and try it out . Mike
    Former New Clock Acquisitions Moderator AKA Mike 306p/Ansoniaman