Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3457 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Telechron Motor Type B2

For what it's worth, in my opinion, it is more practical to replace the entire Telechron field assembly with a salvaged assembly rather than to attempt to disassemble the assembly and replace the coil.

That being said, there are one or two servicers that re-wind clock motor field coils.

You stated that the rotor assembly is a style B2. The other numbers you proviced, M1, No 596541-A, I assume might be the numbers on the field assembly plate.

It would be helpful if you could state the Telechron or GE model number of the clock in addition. Jim Linz's GE-Telechron book is an excellent resource for identifying GE and Telechron clocks by photo and model number.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Telechron Motor Type B2 (RE: Eckmill)

Not tryin' to put you on the grill but, are you certain the coil is bad and how did you determine that?

These coils were made in different wattages. The higher the wattage, the higher the torque and the higher the temperature rise. An alarm clock requires minimal wattage and provides minimal ventilation. A Revere chiming grandfather clock, for example, requires higher torque and has more air space around the coil. In other words, you would want to avoid a situation where the replacement coil could overheat.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Larry, the best field test I found was put a srewdriver close to it and test for magnetism. If no magnetism, the field is bad. And by the way, wecome to this message board. Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Paul FM TX

Larry... Timesavers has coils in their catalog #30, latest issue, on page 33. 'H'-coils & 'S'-coils @ $10.

Paul

That's very probably a valid test Harold if the power cord is KNOWN to be good and it's connections to the coil are ALSO good. (see PINENEEDLE)

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Scottie, good points. I tend to forget that not everyone has an electrical background. If I had a dollar for every rotor and field I have thrown away over the years, shocking. Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"