Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 767 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Early Swiss National Park Stopwatch with Excelsior "J" movement

I recently purchased a Swiss made stopwatch with National Park on the dial. I did some reading on this brand and know that it was first used in 1891 by Gallet. I also know that these watches were used to time cars and horses in the old days. I think the movement is an early Excelsior movement--part of the movement is shaped like a "J," for Jeanneret & Freres, who patented the movement. While browsing the internet, I came across a picture of the movement that was patented--this one is just like it. Later ones have a small compartment holding spare parts, which this one does not have.
    I was wondering if this watch could possibly be one of the earliest or even first made? The only writing visible on the movement is the number 3364 with a cross (Swiss?). Others I have seen have the parts compartment and two numbers on the movement--the other being the patent number(?)--388992 or DRP 388992. I don't know if it helps or not, but the dust cover is inscribed with the number 191311, with no name. The case, I believe, is nickel.
    Any information you could give me on this watch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Early Swiss National Park Stopwatch with Excelsior "J" movement (RE: dyb225)

I have heard of Excelsior Park, but never National Park. I have never seen a dial marked Excelsior Park. Given all of this, I might understand a dial marked National, with an Excelsior Park made movement in it. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this.