Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 802 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Schatz 53 anniversary clock

I've acquired a little Schatz 53 anniversary clock from a car boot sale.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07923.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	142719
    Its suspension wire was broken and the bottom block missing, so I've obtained replacements and fitted them. The trouble is, even having done that, it will not go at all. There is no life in it whatsoever. I can turn the hands round and the wheels move, but I am thinking that there must be a problem with the mainspring. I bought a key at the same time as the other bits and the clock seems fully wound.

I've repaired another anniversary clock in a similar state and it started to tick once it was reassembled, so I know what ought to happen -

Any suggestions please, or do I buy a new mainspring?
    Last edited by chockychocky; 08-25-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Adding photo

Blog Entries

Default Re: Schatz 53 anniversary clock (RE: chockychocky)

I dont know how much experience you have in clock repair so my answers might sound odd to you.
    Do you know for sure its fully wound.Is there power all the way to the escape wheel.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: Schatz 53 anniversary clock (RE: Kevin W.)

I tried winding it up and it only went one notch further. Having said that, the other anniversary clock I have wouldn't wind up at all - it really was fully wound when I got it, but it was ok.
    I'm not sure about the term escape wheel, but is that the last wheel before the escapement? I haven't taken the clock right apart. I suppose that if the clock movement was ok that all the wheels would revolve as they should, if the pivot thing was not there? I've seen that with other clocks -

Blog Entries

Chocky this is what i would do, step number one, let down the main spring.Take it all apart and clean and oil and inspect all pivots. Without cleaning and a examination one can only guess why it won,t run.
    The pallets work on the teeth of the escape wheel.

Hello. I agree with Kevin. Take the clock apart and clean, and check for any damage on the way. When putting it back together don't put the pallets back in and wind the clock a couple of clicks and see if you have motion.
    Too many clocks and not enough time, Tony

Default Re: Schatz 53 anniversary clock (RE: Tony10Clocks)

There's at least a dozen things it could be. Is the pin in the fork? Is it really tight (should not be)? Does the escape wheel move when you move the pallets? Is it in beat? Does it clear the bottom locking device (did you know it had one)? Is the suspension spring touching the guard? Did you perhaps catch the spring with one of the screws with you put it back on? Is it level? Check on those first, and let us know if you find anything

Blog Entries

Default Re: Schatz 53 anniversary clock (RE: shutterbug)

I suggested a clean and oil first, to rule out possibilities of what might be wrong.It could be many, but i still would do a clean and oil first.

Registered user.

Hi everyone
    Thanks for all your suggestions: I guess I must be brave and take it apart!

Registered user.

Default Re: Schatz 53 anniversary clock (RE: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    There's at least a dozen things it could be. Is the pin in the fork? Is it really tight (should not be)? Does the escape wheel move when you move the pallets? Is it in beat? Does it clear the bottom locking device (did you know it had one)? Is the suspension spring touching the guard? Did you perhaps catch the spring with one of the screws with you put it back on? Is it level? Check on those first, and let us know if you find anything
    Is this clock as picky as the Schatz 400 dayer?? If it is there are probably 10,000 things that can keep it from running!

Jim

Registered user.

Default Re: Schatz 53 anniversary clock (RE: Minutehand)

Well I've been brave and taken it right apart. I let down the mainspring - not done that before, but it was fine with the key (thanks M&P for how to do this). I cleaned the wheels with clock cleaning fluid, and the plates (is that the right word?!) with turpentine because I didn't want to strip off the lacquer which was all right. I oiled the pivots with clock oil and put it back together. And now, after a lot of tweaking...and reading posts on this forum and Terwilliger's 400 day clock book .....thanks for all the advice I've read....eventually after a lot of trial and error....it's going again and keeping pretty much perfect time. The mainspring was just fine, the movement also, it was the fork which was a bit tight. Once I freed that up a little, just pried the tines apart a fraction, the clock started to move properly: You could see it release somehow. I could hear it start to 'tick' regularly. At least the pallets are not adjustable,but I had to adjust the escapement so it didn't jam and get the beat right. I think I must have done that because it's kept on going really well now like it knows what it's supposed to do... These clocks have personalities don't they?

So now it's sitting there quite happily and working again. I wonder when it went last....and there's no way of knowing is there?

I'd like to make its cover nice and shiny again: the brass is very tarnished. Is it ok to dip the lid (just the brass plate part) in clock cleaning solution, polish it and then lacquer it again? Please can someone tell me what is this lacquer I hear so much about? I'd like to use the right stuff.
    Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

It sounds like you've got it running. I'd recommend just enjoying if for a while, because to shine it up you're going to have to take it apart again There has been a lot written on different lacquer preferences, and some swear by car wax for the same purpose. Use your search function under 'lacquer' and see what you can find.