Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3696 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Rod

Default cuckoo clock chain

I have a cuckoo clock that I repaired for a friend a few weeks ago ,some how the ring on the end of the chain came off and the chain ran off and out of the clock.My question ,is there a way to put the chain back on the clock with out the hassle of taking the movement out?I think there must be a way.hope someone may have done this before.......

Rod

Rod

NAWCC # 0058915

Rod

Default cuckoo clock chain (RE: Rod)

I have a cuckoo clock that I repaired for a friend a few weeks ago ,some how the ring on the end of the chain came off and the chain ran off and out of the clock.My question ,is there a way to put the chain back on the clock with out the hassle of taking the movement out?I think there must be a way.hope someone may have done this before.......

Rod

Rod

NAWCC # 0058915

Rod,
    I have turned cuckoo clocks upside down, dangled the loose end of the chain through the proper hole in the case toward the correct sprocket and "fished" the chain around. I use a dentist tool to reach in and guide the chain and to advance the wheel. As I advance the chain over the sprocket I tip the clock to let gravity help keep it running true. I will usually tie off the chains that are still in place with a piece of wire or a "bread tie" to keep them from falling off or fouling.
    I do not think there is an easy way.
    Best Regards,
    Dick Feldman
    Berthoud, Colorado

Rod

Thanks Dick,I agree,there is no easy way I will give your method a try...It seems that with a little fiddling it will work..Again,thanx

Rod

NAWCC # 0058915

rcoffman

I worked in the office machine industry and became intimately acquainted with a device called a spring hook. The best is an IBM style Ames Supply This will allow you to reach far into the case, and all you have to do is get the chain draped over the top of the wheel, hook it with the spring hook, and pull it down. I have done this oh... probably hundreds of times. If you don't want to buy the spring hook, you can grind a long taper on a piece of coat hanger wire, and form it into a hook. Obviously this is soft, but it will work. Also the "pusher" end is very handy.

-rc ‚Ņ‚
    Roscoe Coffman
    roscoe@cowtownclockworks.com
    www.cowtownclockworks.com

Rod

Thanks for the help guys,I have the chain back in the clock and it took only about 5 mins ...what I did was take a 6 inch section of the same chain and magnitize the last two or three links and then I dropped the chain into the clock as Dick said to do,the chain attached itself to the winding assembly and then I just used a dental pick to rotate the thing around untill I could use the pick to pull the chain down and out the bottom of the case...It worked great..........All I did then was attach the chain to the small piece and pull it thru..Job done

Rod

NAWCC # 0058915

David Holk

I hesitate to use anything magnetised around any delicate mechanism. This can increase the force required to cause it to move.

David

Rod

David,I would agree but the amount of magnitized chain was so little and the time involved was so short that I really doubt that if would cause any problem with a cuckoo clock movement..A watch probably would suffer but the cuckoo,I do not think so.....

Rod

NAWCC # 0058915

ladutka

I've been doing Cuckoo Clock repairs for almost 10 years and inverting the clock and feeding the chain onto the pulley and taking a fine screw driver and pushing the teeth till the chain ends feeds theough the holes as I rotate the clock is the most simplest method I know and it takes a few minutes.

Sometimes taking a soda straw and slitting it lengthwise and place the chain inside it will help get the chain right over the click pulley and work it back to nornal. Good luck.

Les

Registered user.

Hello all,
    Just did a search and found this. I needed to rethread a chain as well. After fiddling with it for a short time, it dawned on me. "Check the message board". So I did and this method worked great. I did have to reverse the hook and ring after I got finished as the hook was the one off of the chain not the ring. NAWCC Msg Bd to the rescue again.

Registered user.

I have always done it this way - putting the chains on after I have cased the movement.
    A bit of blue steel with a hook on the end is indeed useful, as is a friendly dentist who occasionally discards such things.
    I have never needed to 'magnitise' [sic] the chain; however, I would not class a cuckoo as a 'delicate mechanism' and AFAIK there is nothing in it that would be affected by being magnetized.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

MIKE! How could you be so insensitive? The bird might have cheap fillings in her teeth.