Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default New Haven Ganges Clock

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of a pair of weights for a New Haven Ganges. Typical round ogee weights are physically too large to travel down the channels. I "believe" that the original iron weights were square. This is a 30 hour clock. If someone has a pair of weights available, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks,

Kelly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ganges.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	142421  

Default Re: New Haven Ganges Clock (By: Orgelbear)

Hello Kelly,

Timesavers, part number 26000, is a square cast iron weight with bottom dimensions of 2 1/8" x 2 1/8", which is less than the diameter of round ogee weights. At 4 pounds, they should run your 30 hour movement with no difficulty.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Orgelbear View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am in need of a pair of weights for a New Haven Ganges. Typical round ogee weights are physically too large to travel down the channels. I "believe" that the original iron weights were square. This is a 30 hour clock. If someone has a pair of weights available, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks,

Kelly
    Nice clock. A rare clock. One of those odd ball things New Haven did. A small weight driven clock. Also another model called the Indus. There's pix in Tran's New Haven book. I once owned an example of the miniature weight driven ogee shown. I believe that the actual weight drop is only about 22 inches.

I've previously posted another Ganges . See this thread with associated links. You will have to scroll down a bit.

The pendulum in mine is different and it does match the catalog illustration shown in Tran's book, but I've seen other examples with yours as well.

Unfortunately, this is one of those clocks were it's a bit of a pain in the keester if you don't have the original weights as they are nonstandard.

Here are pictures of the original Ganges weights.

The one on the viewers left (I had it on the strike side) is (all approximate) 3 1/2 inches tall, about 2 3/8 inches wide at the base, tapers to just under 2 1/4 at the top, and is 1 3/4 deep at the base tapering to 1 5/8 at the top. The one on the viewer's right (time side) is the same height, same width, but the depth is 1 5/8 at the bottom and tapers to 1 1/2 at the top. I have no idea what they weigh.

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4716.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	142535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4717.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	142536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4718.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	142537  

Hello Everyone,

I have a question that I am sure someone will be able to answer. I do not possess the Tran book for New Haven. When were the small OG, Indus and Ganges clocks offered? I have now been able to snag the OG---this only leaves the Indus for me to find. This photo was the "sellers" photo on eBay...but I suppose that it is safe for me to use since I purchased the clock. A little work, but the first I have been able to find.

Thanks!

Kelly

Trans book list them all as 1881 - so a few years either side of that date.

Hello Everyone,

I have a question that I am sure someone will be able to answer. I do not possess the Tran book for New Haven. When were the small OG, Indus and Ganges clocks offered? I have now been able to snag the OG---this only leaves the Indus for me to find. This photo was the "sellers" photo on eBay...but I suppose that it is safe for me to use since I purchased the clock. A little work, but the first I have been able to find.

Thanks!

Kelly
    A ha, so you snatched that one up!

I have seen the mini weight driven NH ogees in 2 versions. One is just like yours.

I owned the version of your clock pictured in Tran's book on page 307, figure 1221. It's a bit different. It was called the "O.O.G. Extra V.P." The V.P. indicated "visible pendulum".

Rather than having a single divided door, it had a single transfer decorated glass which permitted watching barrel pendulum in action. The dial mounted to a dial matt that then mounted to the case...kinda like what the Ganges does.

I believe the inner backboard was painted black to contrast with the pendulum.

It was a great little clock in original finish.

Dumbo here sold it...would rather have that clock now then the few bucks profit I made which is long ago flittered away.

Good luck finding an Indus. That's the one I want, too.

Have had a couple come my way. They all had condition issues including that those turned wood button decorations are always missing.

RM

Default Re: New Haven Ganges Clock (By: jacks61fd)

Thank you very much! I really appreciate having this information. Have a good evening.

Default Re: New Haven Ganges Clock (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Hey RM,

I guess we all have a few regrets about a clock that we foolishly sold. I know I do! Would love to see the version of the NH OG that you mention.

I appreciate your response. Hope we don't end up in a bidding war over the Indus.

Peace.

Hey RM,

I guess we all have a few regrets about a clock that we foolishly sold. I know I do! Would love to see the version of the NH OG that you mention.

I appreciate your response. Hope we don't end up in a bidding war over the Indus.

Peace.
    PS: if you're interested in info about the movement in these clocks, see http://www.nawcc.org/images/stories/...2/232_531a.pdf , particularly pages 553-5.

RM

RM
    Could you repost the link to the story you referenced above? I can't find it or access it. Thank you!

Default Re: New Haven Ganges Clock (By: DN4911)

Quote Originally Posted by DN4911 View Post
    RM
    Could you repost the link to the story you referenced above? I can't find it or access it. Thank you!
    Are you logged in to the main website, nawcc.org.?
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: New Haven Ganges Clock (By: Steven Thornberry)

Yes it shows I am logged in but I still get the message that I am not. When I log in separately and try to paste in the link it still doesn't work.

Default Re: New Haven Ganges Clock

Quote Originally Posted by DN4911 View Post
    RM
    Whoops, sorry about the delay in responding. Things got buried and I missed your posting from the 13 th.

Give this a whirl...just tried it and it worked for me.

http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1980...2/232_531a.pdf

What seems to have been working for me is I sign in to the main site first and then open the MB.

RM

Awesome thanks RM I can read it now!