Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 755 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock

I have a Howard Miller wall clock that has a clock dial face attached to the movement by 4 posts. I can't figure out how to remove the face.
    I also can't seem to remove the movement without removing the face first.
    Any help will be most appreciated.

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: maskedman)

Hello and Welcome to the NAWCC message board.

I am not familiar with the model number of your clock. Did you look on the inside of the clock plate where the four post go thru and see if there is some type of fastener or a tapered pin that holds it all together? Quite often there is a "catch" that can be rotated to allow the dial/post to be removed. In order to give you good information it would help if you could post some photos of your clock, especially of the area that is under discussion. Other photos of the general area and clock movement would also be helpful.

Again, welcome and we look forward to seeing photos of your clock.

Best,

Richard T.

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: Richard T.)

Yep. It's going to be one or the other .... unless it screws on. If it has nuts, they'll turn and the dial will unscrew and come off that way. A pic would help us know what you need to do.

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: shutterbug)

My bet is that the movement has to come out first, in order to remove the taper pins from the dial posts. Look and see how the movement is secured in the case. Is it screwed to the back by mounting feet?

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: bangster)

And----

If you need help to get the movement out of the case, you will likely also need help putting it back into the case. Going back in is usually a tougher job.

Why do you feel it necessary to remove the movement from the case? Is it broken?

Best Regards.

Dick

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: Dick Feldman)

On many, you have to slip off the bezel ring and pry off the dial plate. The dial is held on with double sided tape and usually difficult to get off. Tips: Heat the dial with a hair blower (on hot). Pry the dial (carefully using a long thin knife. Go very slowly or you might put dimples in the soft aluminum dial plate.

Good luck, a picture would be a good thing.

Willie X

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: Willie X)

Quote Originally Posted by willie x View Post
    on many, you have to slip off the bezel ring and pry off the dial plate. The dial is held on with double sided tape and usually difficult to get off. Tips: Heat the dial with a hair blower (on hot). Pry the dial (carefully using a long thin knife. Go very slowly or you might put dimples in the soft aluminum dial plate.

Good luck, a picture would be a good thing.

Willie x
    EEK!

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: bangster)

I did have one modern wall clock with the dial held on with double sided tape. It took a long time to determine how it was held on and then about the same amount of time to get it off. The designers probably never considered that it would have to come off.

Best,

Richard T.

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: Richard T.)

If I had to safely remove something like that I'd probably use a knife like this to slice through the foam tape, leaving the adhesive and 1/2 the foam stuck on both sides. Stick the blade all the way out and the blade is long, thin, and flexible enough to slip in unless you bend it far enough to snap at the scored lines. Remove the stickum later with goo-gone or some such.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap-off knife.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	142178
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 08-19-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: Bill Stuntz)

A thin strong blade is better. The tape doesn't have much thickness so you will never be actually cutting anything. It is the thickness of carpet tape or masking tape. Little pressure is used but you have to be slow and patient.

OP, some use little black screws at the quarters alone and some use the screws and the tape to hold the dials on.

Willie X

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: Willie X)

Yep, come to think of it, I've encountered taped on dials too. A pic would sure clear things up.

Quote Originally Posted by bangster View Post
    EEK!
    If I might add,firstly I have done this a number of times-the cautions about going SLOWLY are very good advice. Secondly and probably the best tool for the job is a Sloyd knife. That's the one that does not have a pointed blade.The end is squared off. Also a little mineral spirits will also help to break the adhesive bond.
    Hope this helps.
    tom

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: tom427cid)

We haven't heard back from the OP. I wonder if we've scared him off?
    Tom, I've never heard of a Sloyd knife, do you have a photo? The tip of the knife I pictured is maybe 30 degrees, sharp on the long side, not the end. It's scored to break off every 1/2" or so to expose a fresh tip. It's fairly flexible when extended past several scores, and takes quite a bit of pressure parallel to the score to break it off. I have to use pliers to break it.
    The mineral spirits sound like a good idea - any chance of staining if the dial is paper?

Registered user.

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: Bill Stuntz)

Sorry everyone for not getting back sooner. And thanks for all your suggestions.
    I don't even want to consider there might be double-sided tape. Sounds like you could do a lot of damage.
    I want to clean and oil the front of the movement, and I can't get to it the way it is. Also the movement can be removed from the back board holding it in the case, so I can remove it, but the whole clock face stays with it.
    I am going to take some pictures of the movement to help you understand how it is assembled. I will post them asap.

Registered user.

Default Re: Help to Remove Howard Miller Clock Dial Face Model 612-575 wall clock (RE: maskedman)

Picture enclosed.
    There are pins on the posts where attached to the movement. But the posts also have slots for a screwdriver on the inside of the movement plate, but I can't get a screwdriver in there without disassembling the movement, which is not anything I am prepared to do.
    I have tried to remove the pins, but not quite sure how to do that either without damaging them.
    The movement is Hermle 1051-030A.
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails facepost1.jpg