Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 812 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grandfather clock won't chime

Hello everyone,

I apologize but I could not seem to get this in the right forum. I'll try it this way....

Yesterday, I purchased a Ridgeway grandfather clock (model 201 Lakemont) for $250. It is a one owner clock and the previous ownder had all of the original manuals, warranties, extra parts, etc, to go with it. My husband did a great job moving it the correct way and setting it up in it's "new" location. I started it and it tick-tocked fine. The first time it chimed it only chimed 6 times at 8 o'clock. I followed the instructions in the owners manual to "synchronize" the clock (move hour hand to last number of chimes...turn minute hand). It has not chimed since...that was 12 hours ago. Does anyone know what I could have done to make it stop chiming? Is there anything that I can do to troubleshoot or should I try to find someone to repair?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lynn

Registered user.

Default Re: Clock won't chime (RE: beaser3)

Hi
    Something has stopped the strike train in mid strike sequence.
    It is most likely that the clock has not been service since
    new. This would mean it was over due for cleaning and oiling,
    as a minimum.
    The part that counts the hour is called the strike. The part
    that plays a tune is called the chime.
    I'd say that you want to get a clock repair person
    to look at it for you.
    Tinker Dwight

As Tink says, "chime" is used to refer to the Westminster tune; "strike" is the term for the hour-count. Does your clock have a chime (3 winding holes?) or just a strike (2 winding holes).
    First thing to look for (often overlooked): are all the springs wound up? If it has 3 holes, the one on the right is for the chime, the one on the left is for the strike. In a chiming clock, the hour strike is activated by the chime; so if the chime won't run, neither will the strike.

I can't think of anything you could have done, by turning the hands, to make it stop making noises. If it's still tick-tocking, the only thing I can suggest is to advance the minute hand slowly, pausing at 15, 30, and 45 (if it's a chimer) and on the hour. It may have to go a little bit beyond straight up on the hour, to get the chime (or strike) to kick in.

Others may have better suggestions.

Good luck,

Default Re: Clock won't chime (RE: bangster)

Beaser3's description didn't specify whether it's spring or weight driven. I know that Ridgeway did both in GF/GM clocks.

Thank you for the feedback. The clock has both the hour strike and the chime. Very nice the one time I heard it! I tried to advance past the 1/4 hours as suggested but did not get it to strike or chime. I can hear a "noise" when it gets to those positions but no actual chime/strike. I am not sure where the springs are and I do not see them mentioned in the manual. I'm a novice with clocks and I don't want to do anything that might cause more problems! I would say this is a weight driven clock.

Blog Entries

If it has weights hanging down it weight driven, if no weights then spring driven.I think you need to call a clock repair person to your home for some help.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Quote Originally Posted by beaser3 View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. The clock has both the hour strike and the chime. Very nice the one time I heard it! I tried to advance past the 1/4 hours as suggested but did not get it to strike or chime. I can hear a "noise" when it gets to those positions but no actual chime/strike. I am not sure where the springs are and I do not see them mentioned in the manual. I'm a novice with clocks and I don't want to do anything that might cause more problems! I would say this is a weight driven clock.
    My mistake. I was thinking spring-driven. Does it have three weights hanging down where the pendulum is? Is there a chime-select lever sticking out from the edge of the dial? If so, is it perhaps set to "silent"?

Night silence? Look in the manaul to see if it has this feature.

Default Re: Grandfather clock won't chime (RE: Tom McIntyre)

Are you sure it does not have a cut-off lever on the chimes? It should be on the right side of the dial. If that is not it, move the minute hand just past 12 and pull slightly down on the right weight. The chain or cable could be bound and that may break it free. If that does not start it chiming, get back with us.

Will Walker
    Will Walker (WOW)

Default Re: Clock won't chime (RE: Len Lataille)

I checked the silencer and it is definitely on chimes. Looks like I'll be calling a repair person. Thanks to all.

Default Re: Grandfather clock won't chime (RE: wow)

Are you talking chiming or striking?
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Blog Entries

Default Re: Grandfather clock won't chime (RE: lpbp)

I believe its a chiming clock.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

I'm guessing that this is a chain driven clock. You could try putting a little extra downward pressure on the two outside weights to see if that loosens things up a bit. Not too hard now . I'm thinking that the other guys are right about the clock being due for a good cleaning and refurbishing. That's generally why people sell them, unfortunately.

Default Re: Clock won't chime (RE: shutterbug)

Weights in the correct position? Usually the heaviest weight in on the right, facing the clock. They may be marked on the bottom of the weight.

Default Re: Clock won't chime (RE: Len Lataille)

Just an update......

Last night I got a bit daring and peeked in at the gears. I could see where the "chimes" gear should be catching and wasn't. I oiled a little and then very gently pushed the gear while I brought the minute hand to 12. Believe it or not....it worked! I am so happy! I will still take the advice on a good cleaning but for now I am listneing to the chimes. Thanks again everyone!