Month's Goal: $300, Received: $340.00 - (114%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 878 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Mantle Clock key sizes

One of my clocks is missing its windup key and I wondered how do you determine the correct size to buy? I see different sizes listed on ebay and would like to buy one that is correct for my clock. They give the sizes in single digit numbers and I wondered how to match that with my clock. Thanks Randy1944

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Mantle Clock key sizes (RE: Randy1944)

Randy, Timesavers shows key sizes in relation to the diameter of the wind arbor. It's a handy catalog to have, or you can use their website. Common sizes for an American clock range from #5 to #7, but some are both smaller and larger, so having an assortment is a good idea.
    www.timesavers.com
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Mantle Clock key sizes (RE: harold bain)

Harold, Thank you very much for the information. I was a little bashful to ask, but I just could not figure it out. Thanks again. Randy

By, "DIA", I guess you mean measurement across flats which of course it is.

Default Re: Mantle Clock key sizes (RE: Scottie-TX)

So ...... get an accurate measuring device and measure the square. Then order accordingly. Wouldn't hurt to order the next bigger one too, just in case. If you could show us a pic of the clock, we might be able to find one like it in one of our collections and tell you which key it requires

Default Re: Mantle Clock key sizes (RE: shutterbug)

Personally, I don't think measuring the square of the winding arbor (in one way or another)
    would be acurate enough to determine a key size in this case.
    Why? Because we know nothing about the movement and many have lightly tapered winding
    arbors. So, a proper fitting key would have to slide smoothly all the way up to the ratchet wheel.
    If measuring with the dial on, one gets the results for a key size which is actually too small.
    Depending on the type of movement, a small key can "corkscrew" the arbor to a certain extent.

Ideal would be to have a key sortiment, a star key, or a let-down tool. That determines the correct size
    without dispair and it's only a once in a lifetime investment.
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: Mantle Clock key sizes (RE: soaringjoy)

Thanks everyone for the great information. I do now believe my winding arbor is tappered. When I try one of my unmarked keys - it will start to slide on (about 1/8") but will not go on completely. I think I will obtain one of the mentioned keys and go from there. Thanks again Randy1944

Registered User Douglas Ballard's Avatar

I used a caliper to measure the arbor then ordered that size, one above and one below (actually got several of each). Did the same with the pendulum adjustment arbor. Most of my clocks use a #7. Ordered them from www.timesavers.com as they are less expensive than EBay and if they break they will send a replacement at no charge.
    TEMPVS RERVM IMPERATOR

With respect to kitchen clocks movements, typically, what size keys did the following companies use: Sessions, Ingraham, New Haven, Ansonia, and Waterbury?

Thanks,
    Robert

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Mantle Clock key sizes (RE: Robert Sweet)

Robert, they mostly use either a 6 or a 7. Considering that keys are only a couple of bucks each, it's pretty cheap to get a good assortment of different sizes. There are two different sizes, Swiss and American, and they are not the same. Timesavers has a chart showing actual measurements that go with the key numbers.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Mantle Clock key sizes (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Robert, they mostly use either a 6 or a 7. Considering that keys are only a couple of bucks each, it's pretty cheap to get a good assortment of different sizes. There are two different sizes, Swiss and American, and they are not the same. Timesavers has a chart showing actual measurements that go with the key numbers.
    Harold,

Thank you.

Robert

Default Re: Mantle Clock key sizes (RE: Robert Sweet)

It is important to use the correct size, one that's too big, that you can feel slop in but still winds the clock, can lead to wearing the edges of the shaft. Sometimes when the shaft appears to be tapered, thats what has happened in the past.
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Default Re: Mantle Clock key sizes (RE: lpbp)

If you get Timesavers' # 10092 and 10093 you'll have what you need. Even if it's hard to wind, you'll learn the right key size that way