Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 790 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Baylor Watch / Swiss Made

Hi guys I have found a Baylor watch with Swiss Made at the bottom of the dial. It's a screw back I can't get loose so I have no idea of jeweling. Doe's anyone recognize the Baylor name? Possibly a private label?

EDIT: It was a pry off back and it's 17 jewel adjusted Swiss and that's all I can find on the movement.

Baylor Watch Co. stamped inside back cove
    Last edited by Daniel W.; 07-22-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Daniel

Default Re: Baylor Watch / Swiss Made (RE: Daniel W.)

Baylor was one of about 150 brand names used by Benrus Watch Co of Chaux de Fonds, which was founded in 1927 and continued until at least 1977 (according to Pritchard). The company had a presence in the USA.

Gruen also shared this brand name and several others, so I assume there was a corporate connection between the two companies which Pritchard doesn't make clear.

Default Re: Baylor Watch / Swiss Made (RE: MartyR)

In both of those cases (Benrus and Gruen), Baylor was a model name for one specific design. Both of those companies named watches after American Colleges at various times.

In the case of this watch, and almost any watch seen labeled "Baylor" on the dial (especially post 1950 or so), the Baylor name was a house brand (or private label) for the Zales Jewelry Store chain in the US. They are usually good quality watches, but do not command much collector interest due to their generic heritage.
    Cary Hurt

Default Re: Baylor Watch / Swiss Made (RE: Cary Hurt)

Thanks a lot guys. Cary you are on to something with Zale's. I got this watch for my 16th birthday in 1979. I learned or got reminded of this after this was posted. I had placed it in a "safe place" in the house and forgot about it. I found it hunting something else in the hiding places I have. I had begged for my granddaddy's old watch when I was younger. Which I didn't get. My momma got me this years later for my birthday.
    Daniel