Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 866 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default 1880 Ingraham banjo clock

I need help bad.I found a 1880 Ing. banjo in a local antique store where I am on vacation.Dial removed,original movement.Dial marked 1880.Spring driven.I am leaving town and need to know value.Someone please send me a private message.The clock has quite a low price on it but I need to make sure its at least worth what they want.I could find none for sale on internet.Thanks-Robert

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjon clock (RE: robert5556)

Well, Ingraham never put the year of manufacture on any of their dials that I've seen. The earliest banjo in Tran's book is from 1915. Buyer beware.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjon clock (RE: harold bain)

I have a Gilbert banjo with 1807 on the dial, it really is not that old, i doubt the one Robert saw is that old either, but with no picture who knows for sure
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjon clock (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Well, Ingraham never put the year of manufacture on any of their dials that I've seen. The earliest banjo in Tran's book is from 1915. Buyer beware.
    I agree with Harold. An Ingraham banjo from 1880 is ridiculous. Particularly a date on the dial.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjon clock (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Like mine has a year on the dial. As we know, its not that old. I guess Ingrham did this like Gilbert did.
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8817559
    This web site states this clock is from 1880.

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjo clock (RE: robert5556)

Quote Originally Posted by robert5556 View Post
    I need help bad.I found a 1880 Ing. banjo in a local antique store where I am on vacation.Dial removed,original movement.Dial marked 1880.Spring driven.I am leaving town and need to know value.Someone please send me a private message.The clock has quite a low price on it but I need to make sure its at least worth what they want.I could find none for sale on internet.Thanks-Robert
    Unfortunately we are hampered by a lack of information, pictures and the other significant challenges presented by the source of the inquiry. Not entirely sure what is being described here

However, I say do not rush to judgement, muchachos!

Brewster and Ingraham did in fact produce a rather early spring driven banjo timepiece! It was basically a gallery clock which was converted to a banjo. The date of these clocks, however, was 1845-50, not 1880. Not sure if it could be a repair date that is being referred to in the typically feverish presentation style of inquiring party

For an example, please see Tran's Ingraham clocks, page 73, figures 115, 116.

RM

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjo clock (RE: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

If the clock is what RM suggests it might be, it would be an extremely desirable acquisition. But without the pictures, we cannot intelligently advise you except to note that in 1880, Ingraham made no banjos. The timepiece RM mentions is just that, time only, no strike. What is written on the movement? Where is the 1880 date on the dial, front or back? Does the clock have a topper, such as an eagle or acorn finial? What do the glasses look like? None for sale on the internet? Perhaps it is the Brewster and Ingrahams. They do not show up very often. But, again, without pictures, not much to go on.

Registered user.

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjo clock (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Here is the clcok.The dial looks original to me.If its not it was an expert fake.The movement was old school.Looked like 1 train og but with spring.I did not think to look to see if it had pins or screws.Forgot to take pics.Its very old style.Dial pics are not good but if you blow it up you can see words.Dial is old not repro.I thaught date was for some comemeration of something haveing to do with clock or something.The date was put on there by Them it matches other works.This is a old clock when I first saw it I thought finally I can get my first weight driven banjo.But at waht cost.When I saw it was spring I was shocked.This clock is not older than 1900-10.Ingraham marked mov.old old back thats original.Thats why I needed help.Ive nevver seen a spring banjo this old.My other is the Paul Revere 1920s thats on here..Look it over Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050906.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	138901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050909.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	138902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050910.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	138903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050904.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	138896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050907.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	138900
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1050905.JPG  

It looks like a Nyanza case. The pictures are not too clear, but it appears to have a mirror in the throat, which could be original. The bottom glass does not strike me as original. I assume the dial is papered? The Nyanza first appeared around 1915, one of Ingraham's first banjos, the Nile being the other.

The significance of the 1880 eludes me in any event and would have nothing to do with when this clock was manufactured. The lack of a picture of the movement is a pity. You say "The movement was old school. Looked like 1 train og but with spring." What does that mean. Were there any date numbers on the movement?

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjo clock (RE: Steven Thornberry)

There are many spring driven banjo clocks around.Nice find though.

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjo clock (RE: Kevin W.)

The only significance that I can find for the 1880 is that in July of that year (until sometime in 1884), E. Ingraham & Co. was renamed The E. Ingraham & Co.

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjo clock (RE: Kevin W.)

It looks to me like an Ingraham "Nyanza" case. The lower glass looks replaced as Steven said. The throat glass looks like it is made of faux antique mirror glass and therefore would also be a replacement. I think the dial is suspect, one reason being the directional arrows over the winding holes. I've seen that only on more modern clocks. Also, these Ingraham banjos generally had Arabic numerals, though I can't say they never had Roman ones. The winding holes appear in about the right position, so the movement could be original.
    Jeremy

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjo clock (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Woodoff View Post
    It looks to me like an Ingraham "Nyanza" case. The lower glass looks replaced as Steven said. The throat glass looks like it is made of faux antique mirror glass and therefore would also be a replacement. I think the dial is suspect, one reason being the directional arrows over the winding holes. I've seen that only on more modern clocks. Also, these Ingraham banjos generally had Arabic numerals, though I can't say they never had Roman ones. The winding holes appear in about the right position, so the movement could be original.
    Good eye on the dial, Jeremy. I think that shows the whole 1880 thing is a red herring.

Registered user.

Default Re: 1880 Ingraham banjo clock (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

Both tablets original.I checked really well.1880 date was something I thought was added for reasons like Steaven said.I think this things legit.My only question is about date and price.Asuming this a 1915 or so I need value please.Dial original.Wheather it had a later dial its nice and old,or arrows were added or just rear feature I dont know.Send private mess.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robert5556 View Post
    Both tablets original.I checked really well.1880 date was something I thought was added for reasons like Steaven said.I think this things legit.My only question is about date and price.Asuming this a 1915 or so I need value please.Dial original.Wheather it had a later dial its nice and old,or arrows were added or just rear feature I dont know.Send private mess.Thanks
    I think that there sufficient doubts about the originality of various parts of this clock that make the offering of a value difficult. And, we have not seen the movement, though Jeremy has opined it could be original.