Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 863 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haller AG Clock

Default Haller AG Clock

Hello,

So recently my mother came across a clock in the attic reading on the back of the mantle clock I found a Haller A.G with the numbers 7728 written there too. It is in perfect working order with a great chime and has the key in the back too.

I was just wondering if the 7728 is that the date the clock was made or if you have any information on this clock??

Thanks,
    Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0322.jpg  

Default Re: Haller AG Clock (RE: philipduggan)

Sorry the numbers are 17728 here is a photo of the back

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0472.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	138075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0473.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	138076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0474.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	138077

Greetings Phil and welcome to the message board,

7728 is just a serial number and not a date, but nevertheless this clock propably was made in the mid-twenties.

There were several Haller-firms in Germany- show us a pic of the movement and of the trade mark- we will tell you which Haller-firm made your clock. Most likely Thomas-Ernst Haller AG, which was taken over by Kienzle in 1928.

Regards

albra

Default Re: Haller AG Clock (RE: Albra)

Thanks for your reply.

Here is a picture of the movement and what I believe is the trademark.

This clock has become a bit of a fascination of mine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0327.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	138079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0328.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	138080

Yup.

Thomas Ernst Haller, one of their earlier clocks. Likely before the 1920's, when they started using Kienzle movement patterns on everything.
    Justin A. Olson

Default Re: Haller AG Clock (RE: chimeclockfan)

Thanks very much

Phil, welcome to the Message Board.

It is always helpful to see, where the board users are located.
    You can post your country's flag, by editing your User Profile, it's easy.
    For example, German clocks were often exported to the UK and the case styles
    were different from domestic German market types.
    Then, there are often clues to a dateline, especially on exported clocks, due to legal
    requirements of certain countries.
    The "Made in Germany" stamp, tells us, your clock is most likely not before 1922.
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: Haller AG Clock (RE: soaringjoy)

I live in the uk sorry. Thanks thats very interesting, so exported german clocks would have been different? The clock face has been worn away a little is there anything you guys recommend that could help restore it?

Thanks for your input I have been searching online to try and find the same model but have failed so far.

Yes, the export models were often different, according to the tastes of the markets.
    The makers often had several ranges of catalogues, all printed at the same time,
    which doesn't make ID any easier. Th. E. Haller had quite some percentages in exports.
    Your dial seems to have been "touched up" already, so if you can't find a replacement,
    you'll have to either make a new one, or perhaps repaint, which won't be easy, because
    you have to clean it up before starting.
    I suggest posting the dial in the Reverse Glass and Dial Painting forum; they're pretty good
    at things there...
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Hello Phil,

the history of the firm Thomas E. Haller is very much linked to the Anglo-German relations in the twenties.

Th. E Haller was founded in Schwenningen/Germany in 1902 and was spezialised on pocket watches an minor in clocks. Many watches and clocks of Th.-E. Haller were exported to the UK. But inspite of the Americans or the Germans, the British had no clock industry. Thus in 1927 the British Government stopped all German imports of clocks by a tax of 33,3 % on all German clocks and watches. The German clock-facturers, like Th.E. Haller, Mauthe and some others got big troubles and for example Thomas-Ernst Haller AG was taken over by Kienzle.

I assume, your clock was one of the latest Th.E. Haller clocks, exported to the UK- about 1926/27.

albra

Default Re: Haller AG Clock (RE: Albra)

I assume, your clock was one of the latest Th.E. Haller clocks, exported to the UK- about 1926/27.
    I dunno, all of the later Th. E. Haller clocks I've seen were typically in Art Deco cases using Kienzle pattern movements. Still marked Foreign, very late ones had random initials in place of a serial number.

But if anything explicitly shows a clock like the OP's as a late 20's model, I'd be happy to see it.
    Justin A. Olson

Thank you all very much for the info.

This is the first time I have ever researched the history of a old clock and being 23 years of age I dont have very much knowledge on the subject however have found this very interesting as the forum is great and your input has helped alot.

I may just leave it as it is but im interested in where your knowledge of the subject has come from?

Thanks again

Observation and documentation of existing clocks, also input from some guides and books...
    Justin A. Olson

Blog Entries

When you sleep, eat and dream clocks like some of us do here you learn a lot.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Quote Originally Posted by chimeclockfan View Post
    I dunno, all of the later Th. E. Haller clocks I've seen were typically in Art Deco cases using Kienzle pattern movements. Still marked Foreign, very late ones had random initials in place of a serial number.

But if anything explicitly shows a clock like the OP's as a late 20's model, I'd be happy to see it.
    The design of a clock case will not give the chance to date a clock exactly. If you study clock-catalogues of German facturers of the 1920ies, you will find all styles: Historism, Art Nouveau, Art Deco and even a mix of these.

Second: The movement of Phil´s clock has already an échappement. Most of the German facturers used échappements in the thirties, ore even past WW 2. As Jürgen stated Phil´s clock was not made before 1922, because of British rules to sign German clocks. So Phils clock was made between 1922 and 1927- that´s a very exact date for any clock without inscriptions in case or on the movement.

albra