Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1832 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Unhappy Purchased the wrong pendulum for Hermle Grandfather clock movement

Eeek! This is my first post & I am definitely an absolute tyro at messing about with clock movements. Through luck or perseverance I have managed to get a couple of old movements going & was encouraged by my partner to build a grandfather clock. I bought a Hermle 1161-853 movement & then a moon dial & a pendulum. This was via a great deal in the US (I am in Australia). My problem is that inadvertently, I have managed to buy a pendulum for a 114 cm clock movement when mine is a 94 cm. My question is whether it is possible to simply shorten the longer pendulum, or whether that would be a total no-no. Would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Default Re: Purchased the wrong pendulum for Hermle Grandfather clock movement (By: ian hamilton)

Well, unless someone other is familiar with HERMLE nos. we need to know more. Is this a plain pendulum with a brass strip? Is it a fancy lyre pendulum?
    By th' way matey: WELCOME!

Default Re: Purchased the wrong pendulum for Hermle Grandfather clock movement (By: Scottie-TX)

I'm guessing just a wooden stick. If so, you should be able to shorten it without too much trouble. Be sure to leave some wiggle room for fine tuning. You can always take more off, but you can't put any back on

Default Re: Purchased the wrong pendulum for Hermle Grandfather clock movement (By: Scottie-TX)

The answer to your question is maybe.

If you are capable of removing 20 cm from the pendulum and the construction of the pendulum allows tastefully removing that length—the answer is probably yes.

If/when you remove that length, it will likely be best to remove the material from the top of the pendulum. (Move the hook down). Shortening the pendulum may be as simple as sawing a portion of a wooden stick and reattaching the hook. It may be more involved.

After changing the overall length, you should have enough adjustment with the nut on the bottom of the pendulum bob to make the clock keep time.

A picture of the pendulum would be of great help.

Best Regards,

Dick

Default Re: Purchased the wrong pendulum for Hermle Grandfather clock movement (By: Dick Feldman)

Gadzooks. I thought I just replied to all the friendly folk who gave assistance. I am definitely an amateur - not only at clocks, but at message boards as well. The pendulum arrived today & looking at it I think that it would not be too difficult to shorten: the top brass strip is secured onto the twisted wires (it IS a fancy pendulum I am sorry) by 4 screws & is basically clamped via a sort of bridge to the twisted wires. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-16 at 3.19.51 PM.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	138206

Default Re: Purchased the wrong pendulum for Hermle Grandfather clock movement (By: ian hamilton)

You COULD shorten it, but I'd call the supplier and see if you can exchange it for the right size. They're usually willing to do that for you.

Default Re: Purchased the wrong pendulum for Hermle Grandfather clock movement (By: shutterbug)

For what it's worth, the top is usually held on with 4 screws. If you remove the top a shorter one can be placed onto the lyre portion. I have done this a few times before to get the desired length. The grid is held together in a block which the top screws into. Removing the screws does not mean the pendulum will come apart. If you can't locate a top PM the length of yours and I'll see if I happen to have something shorter.