Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 648 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default I Found my Grandfather Clock made by Local Cabinet maker Marion PA

I have been looking for an affordable Grandfather Clock. I found a nice one, c. 1970 made by Ira H. Lesher and Son of Marion PA.
    Mr J. Lesher passed in 2010 but his son continues the business as a fine cabinet maker. I found the clock at a Antique mall in Fayetteville, PA. I believe it has an Urgos movement with Westminster chimes. A nice moon dial and seconds pendulum. The chimes will need a little tweaking but keeps excellent time. It is 87" tall. Any comments are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0005.jpg   IMG_0006.jpg   IMG_0012.jpg   IMG_0013.jpg   IMG_0014.jpg  

Harry from Fayetteville, PA
    NAWCC Member, Chapters 141 & 158

Default Re: I Found my Grandfather Clock made by Local Cabinet maker Marion PA (RE: mrclockman)

Yes, UW03 series movement, one of the better modern movements.

There were large numbers of small cabinet shops that turned out GF clocks during the 60s and 70s, the numbers declined as the market price for a shop build clock slowly approached the price of a factory built clock. So by about 1990 most of the small shops had closed or gone on to something more profitable. By about 2004, when the housing bubble started to burst, even the big companies went out, declined, merged, etc.

Nice clock, Willie X (Clockasarus)

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: I Found my Grandfather Clock made by Local Cabinet maker Marion PA (RE: Willie X)

Nice looking clock, Henry. And, as Willie says, one of the better quality modern movements. Congratulations
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: I Found my Grandfather Clock made by Local Cabinet maker Marion PA (RE: harold bain)

Here are two pics from a 1970s Urgos catalogue. Enjoy your clock!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UrgosGF1970.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	137482 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UrgosWerk03.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	137483
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: I Found my Grandfather Clock made by Local Cabinet maker Marion PA (RE: soaringjoy)

As another Pennsylvanian, I have an appreciation for local clocks. There are still quite a few cabinet makers who make clocks, and put modern movements in their cases. I live in western Chester County, there are a few "clockmakers" in Lancaster County. The vast majority of Amish houses I enter use mechanical clocks to tell time. The Amish clocks often are Westminster Chiming, which makes me wonder if those clocks are proper for their "plain" homes.

Default Re: I Found my Grandfather Clock made by Local Cabinet maker Marion PA (RE: mrclockman)

I really like repairing these old Urgos movements. Takes me back to when I sold clocks during the years this movement was made. Cool find, very well crafted. Someone with some knowledge of craftsmanship and it's value.

H/C
    "There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." WWW.Heritage-Clocks.com