Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: Kent)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    After the second erroneous statement in the first 26 seconds (1. Referring to a hunting case as a 'hard case', 2. hunting-case watches weren't allowed on the railroads) I gave up watching. Who could trust anything he said?
    I think we all agree on that.

Rob

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: darrahg)

Quote Originally Posted by darrahg View Post
    She should be smiling as she only paid $20 for it. The inscription was fairly generic according to the historian and was 'hand' inscribed. He considered it authentic mainly because it mentioned the battle of Cross Keys that is not commonly known to the public. I think the pawn shop lost out on this one.
    LOL... I am intimately aware of this show and how it works. Of course the Pawn shop lost nothing. The whole thing was scripted in advance, the person who brought it in likely brought it in days earlier and then had their acting lessons and such and the watch was gone over with a fine tooth comb before airing as well.

Amazing bit of theatrics. Amazing that the public buys into this. And that may people so totally buy into this thespianism that they will save their valuables for ther vacation out west and sell them to this pawn shop ....believing the hype.

Just amazing.
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: Jeff Hess)

I watch the show basically to just see the items and that's all. Everything about it is so fake lol. One thing I don't know is, Does the pawn shop actually buy these items from the person beforehand and then puts it in the show?

Blog Entries

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: Spartcom5)

I met someone who was a producer a few years ago and the staff of the show find many of the people and have them come to the shop. whether they buy any of the stuff? Personally, would you trust their expert alone to assess your item, I know I wouldn't.

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: richiec)

Good points, Richie.

I find the show interesting in the same way as I find Antiques Road Show and (in the UK) Flog It interesting. i like to see examples of interesting antiques, and I enjoy observing the prpocess of buying and selling.

But Pawn Stars is clearly and unashamedly a very produced (for which read "setup") show. No-one believes the antics of the family and Chumlee - they are all written by script writers and carefully staged, without any effort at pretending that they are real. And similarly, no-one is intended to believe that the "bargaining" between Rick and the customers is real.

But what are real are the items that are presented - just like Antiques Road Show. No seller in his right mind is going to believe in a valuation by Rick, or by one of his chosen experts. But many sellers actually have no idea of what they have, and even less idea of what it is worth, so the advantage to them is that they get a free lesson in the former, and a free (but unreliableb valuation which at least is as useful as any valuation that they would have to pay for from a "qualified" appraiser.

I remember years ago seeing an episode of the Pawn Stars spinoff using some pawnbroker from Louisiana (or some such location) in which he was offered a beaurtiful watch my M I Tobias. He valued it at $4000, and as I had that watch's brother in my collection, for which I had paid less than $1000 and which I thought was then worth $1200, I was wishing I l.ived near enough to that pawnbroker to take my watch in!!! Of course he didn't actually buy the Tobias on the program, and he wouldn't have bought mine ... but that's show business
    Martin Rosen

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: MartyR)

It's funny to see that kind of stuff in other shows as well. I get a laugh out of Ice Road Truckers sometimes since I was a truck driver for many years. Of course people who have never been a truck driver wouldn't know what I was laughing about. You may as well assume that all shows of that type are scripted.

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch

I do sometimes get mad (even though I know it's not real)
    when it seems like they are taking advantage of someone. They brag that they bought some antique for
    $$ and sold can now sell it for $$$$$$$. They always talk up an item before they offer money,
    then say how hard it is to sell when it's time to buy it.

Rob

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: musicguy)

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    I do sometimes get mad (even though I know it's not real)
    when it seems like they are taking advantage of someone. They brag that they bought some antique for
    $$ and sold can now sell it for $$$$$$$. They always talk up an item before they offer money,
    then say how hard it is to sell when it's time to buy it.

Rob
    I have so much to learn that I don't have time to watch all the shows I would like to watch. I can DVR them and save some time skipping through commercials, but I still don't have the time to watch them all.

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: Accutronica)

I agree the show is just a show... Search this forum and I think you will find quite a few tales of getting a "great deal" on a pocket watch as it relates to it true value.. Most collectors, of anything, tend to be on the frugal side when it comes to purchasing watches... It's part of the process, and the stories that goes with assembling a collection.... The NAWCC has its share of hucksters too.. some, even make Rick appear to be a quite upstanding guy .. Attend a mart, and observe the difference in "what do you want for that watch", and what it actually sells for ? Keep learning, asking questions and your knowledge level will ultimately be your best tool to knowing what is worth what.

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch

Every collector thinks they are getting a "deal" sometimes when they(me, you)
    buy a certain watch or clock. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.
    The stories of when we get great deal's are more fun to tell
    then the ones where we got burnt.

For me every watch I buy is a great deal.

Rob

Blog Entries

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: musicguy)

If you happen to fall under the classification of "professional" you need to be careful about offering low ball values for watches and other artifacts. In many states such a purchase is consider theft by deception and can carry criminal as well as the obvious civil penalties for fraudulent purchase. Those same laws and U.S. statutes make it illegal to syndicate an auction also.

If is a pretty gray area if you just avoid bidding on something because a friend is bidding but if the friend pays you for not bidding, you are on thin ice. I think those laws are very rarely enforced, but flagrant syndication has been busted in the past with some pretty severe penalties.

My late friend Jerry Laux claimed that he always sold anything he had for less than he paid for it in order to ensure he maintained his "amateur" standing.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    If you happen to fall under the classification of "professional" you need to be careful about offering low ball values for watches and other artifacts. In many states such a purchase is consider theft by deception and can carry criminal as well as the obvious civil penalties for fraudulent purchase. Those same laws and U.S. statutes make it illegal to syndicate an auction also.

If is a pretty gray area if you just avoid bidding on something because a friend is bidding but if the friend pays you for not bidding, you are on thin ice. I think those laws are very rarely enforced, but flagrant syndication has been busted in the past with some pretty severe penalties.

My late friend Jerry Laux claimed that he always sold anything he had for less than he paid for it in order to ensure he maintained his "amateur" standing.
    Sounds like a fast way to go broke to me. Why buy/sell something if you can't make a profit?

Blog Entries

I watch the show just to see the time pieces that come into the pawn shop. Its purely for entertainment purposes i watch it.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: pawn stars waltham pocket watch (By: Kevin W.)

"My late friend Jerry Laux claimed"

I think we may want to take this statement with a "large" grain of salt..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    Sounds like a fast way to go broke to me. Why buy/sell something if you can't make a profit?
    I think Jerry was joking about his skill as a seller.

As a professional you are allowed to make a reasonable profit, or even a profit that most would consider unreasonable. However, if you buy a collection from some guys widow and you make 50 or 100 times your investment on it, her children can send the sheriff after you in many states.

It is the same legal principle that makes it a criminal act for a professional fighter to beat you up in a bar.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers