Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3908 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Raised tin letters-advertising clock

I am considering the purchase of an advertising clock with raised letters in tin similar to those in the picture below. It is missing the advertising in the drop. It appears to be the same process used in making automobile license plates. Does anyone know of a business that can put embossed lettering into tin?

Edited to correct the brackets to square brackets for the image ubb code

[This message was edited by Phil Schilke on February 03, 2004 at 14:18.]

Default Raised tin letters-advertising clock (RE: owen.or)

I am considering the purchase of an advertising clock with raised letters in tin similar to those in the picture below. It is missing the advertising in the drop. It appears to be the same process used in making automobile license plates. Does anyone know of a business that can put embossed lettering into tin?

Edited to correct the brackets to square brackets for the image ubb code

[This message was edited by Phil Schilke on February 03, 2004 at 14:18.]

bil2054

Hi, Owen.
    There are a number of companies around which stamp or emboss sheet metal, but I don't know as they would do a one-off, or at least the setup would be prohibitive. Have you considered having a go at it yourself? I remember doing this in summer camp many moons ago, (I anticipate you could have better results than my eight year old self!) Put the reversed design on the back of a sheet of metal, (aluminum would be easily worked), and work it with a rounded burnisher. I think I recall that we put cardboard underneath, to allow the design to push through. You might find an artsy-craftsy person, too, who has experience and would take a commission. Good luck!

Bill Miller
    NAWCC Member #157710

I would think getting a match for the lettering is going to be difficult. I have a couple of old tin advertising signs that are embossed and the lettering is unique to each. A die was probably made for a press to stamp them out.

Do you collect advertising clocks?

Bob Ling: Chapter #75
    NAWCC # 0153021
    Collect & Buy American wall & Banjo clocks

[This message was edited by Robert Ling on February 09, 2004 at 13:30.]

Bill and Bob, Thanks very much for your replies. The clock was in an ebay auction which has now completed its run. I decided that duplicating the original embossed pattern in tin was going to require skill and technology that I did not possess nor could I find anyone who possessed it. Bob, I think you are correct about the die process. As to your question: I have been collecting clocks for nearly 29 years, and my collection, aside from being 98% American,is an eclectic mish mash; however, over the last three years I have suddenly found myself with a fascination for Baird advertising clocks. I have had occasional contacts with Jerry Maltz who wrote a book on the subject. I also have the book by Leonard and Joseph Schiff. The clock which is the subject of this post is one of the clocks created by Baird in Chicago after he left New York and changed the process by which he made clocks. The New York clocks had been pressed papier mache. You can see one of the latter by going to my wall clocks wanted page at the NAWCC emart. David Busby NAWCC#47531