Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1755 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ??

Hi every one
    this is my latest acquisition just got it today.
    On the inside of the door label says calias 6 inch
    the. E. Ingraham co.
    Bristol, conn. Usa
    manufacturer of clocks and watches
    established 1823
    along with the instruction of operation etc.
    I was wondering ?? The hands looks like they were soldered on. The seller said it did not work but looks like i got it working. One of the door hinge is broken but that is no problem.
    Would any member know what year this one was possibly manufactured.
    Thanks for your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03865.jpg   DSC03862.jpg   DSC03866.jpg   DSC03868.jpg   DSC03869.jpg  

DSC03867.jpg  

Default Re: Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ?? (By: clockinit2)

A nice cabinet clock. Tran Duy Ly's Ingraham book shows this clock and its companion, the Dover, from the 1934 catalogue. Per the catalogue description, the styles were earlier used for electric clocks. Ingraham was always noted a good cabinet makers, and I believe they also made cabinets for radios, Emerson comes to mind. I could easily see this as a radio cabinet. I happen to own one and find it to be a good time keeper. There was also an earlier style of the Calais shown from the 1923 catalogue. The front of the movement should have date codes, the month on the left of the hand shaft and the year on the right. This is the date the movement was produced but also gives an approximate date for the clock itself.

It does appear that some has used solder to hold on the minute hand. Pretty sorry repair. There also appears to be heat damage/discoloration to the dial, reinforcing the impression of solder. The dial may need resilvering if the discoloration can not otherwise be cleaned off. The solder should also be removed and a proper fastening used, in this case a threaded nut. You can't, of course, remove the movement for servicing without removing the hands. Maybe the April 14, 1999, date on the door is the date the crime was committed.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ?? (By: Steven Thornberry)

Poor old thing...
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ?? (By: Steven Thornberry)

Thanks for the info.
    It does keep time very good. I will try to remove the solder but i am trying to think how without destroying the face or the shaft, because it has to probably get real hot. Maybe with a flat solder iron instead of a torch.

Thank you very much.
    I have a question I would like to ask.
    Do anyone know where I can find a door hinge, because one of the door hinge is broken , thats why I removed the door , so as not to break the other hinge. Thanks your info on the door hinge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Registered user. Russell Dickson's Avatar

Default Re: Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ?? (By: soaringjoy)

Quote Originally Posted by soaringjoy View Post
    Poor old thing...
    lol

Blog Entries

Default Re: Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ?? (By: Russell Dickson)

Good candidate for the hall of shame, nice clock otherwise.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ?? (By: Kevin W.)

Someone at some time soldered those hands and did little or no perceptible damage to the dial.Are there not pads or material that reflect heat that could be cut to fit and carefully surround the cannon and protect ths dial?
    Bruce
    Es mejor morir de pie, que vivir de rodillas.....Emiliano Zapata Salazar

Registered user.

Default Re: Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ?? (By: Bruce Barnes)

A heat shield can be easily be fabircated from an aluminum soda can. Cut off the top and bottom of the soda can.
    Then cut the can body open and press flat. Now cut a slot to accept the center shaft of the clock.
    Place this shield between the clock face and the hands.
    Use a 100W or larger soldering iron to melt the solder and remove the hands.
    Now you can use any clean up procedure to remove any remaining solder from both the hand shafts and the hands themselves.

DO NOT USE A TORCH unless you have prior experience using a torch for delicate soldering.

Regards
    John
    Last edited by jcosta-co; 07-12-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ?? (By: jcosta-co)

To remove as much solder as possible a solder sucker and or solder wick is helpful
    David S

Registered user. Russell Dickson's Avatar

Default Re: Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ?? (By: Bruce Barnes)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barnes View Post
    Someone at some time soldered those hands and did little or no perceptible damage to the dial.Are there not pads or material that reflect heat that could be cut to fit and carefully surround the cannon and protect ths dial?
    Bruce
    looks like the heat damage is alreay done, I would worry about it too much you couldn't possibly make it much worse. I would look into finding a new dial or having that one restored.

Default Re: Calais 6 inch is my newest acquisition(looks like the hands are soldered on ?? (By: clockinit2)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04031.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	137840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04024.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	137841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04023.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	137842

Russell I agree with you regarding damage to the dial to a point,i.e.,the numbers still retain most of their color,the dial pan is not distorted or warped,the dial signature is still visible maybe some of the discoloration outside the chapter ring could possibly be cleaned.
    Bruce
    Es mejor morir de pie, que vivir de rodillas.....Emiliano Zapata Salazar

I made the piece that was broken to repair the hinge.
    The part with blue tape is the broken one . I taped it so that I can mark out the shape on the piece of .025 inch brass stock.
    Cut and file and bend to shape fit.

Name:	DSC04081.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	139966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04084.jpg 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	139967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04083.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	139968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04085.jpg 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	139969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04089.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	139970

Quote Originally Posted by clockinit2 View Post
    I made the piece that was broken to repair the hinge.
    The part with blue tape is the broken one . I taped it so that I can mark out the shape on the piece of .025 inch brass stock.
    Cut and file and bend to shape fit.

Name:	DSC04081.jpg 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	139966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04084.jpg 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	139967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04083.jpg 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	139968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04085.jpg 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	139969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04089.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	139970
    Nicely done.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde