Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 876 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Rotary pendulum clocks

Hi I acquired these 2 rotary pendulum clocks a while back and would like to know who made them. I collect 400 day clocks and found them attractive.
    Serial #s stamped on both plates of each clock are 417 & 440. I have read the posts in this forum on Briggs/Brown/Welch rotary clock but don't know if mine are any one of these makes.

Any info will help.

Thanks
    Shayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.JPG   photo 3.JPG   photo 4.JPG   photo 5.JPG  

Default Re: Rotary pendulum clocks (RE: Shayne)

Some French makers, like Farcot, made them too.
    You will have to look at the bottom movement plate, I guess.
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: Rotary pendulum clocks (RE: soaringjoy)

These are indeed rotary clocks according to a patend given to John C.Briggs in the 1850ies.Charles Terwilliger wrote an article about them in 1978(Google for that!).They were reproduced by several (german) black forest firms on demand of the Horolovar Comp.in the sixties and seventies,at that time owned by Charles Terwilliger,mine bears the logo of a jumping deer and the signature of Matthias Bšuerle.Maybe the Horolovar Company still has records of the origin of their reproductions.They are easy to service but novelty clocks,donīt expect exact timekeeping!Mine is running verry well with a pice of surgical suture material!HTH
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Default Re: Rotary pendulum clocks (RE: Burkhard Rasch)

Many were made by the E.N.Welch Mfg Co. I have one, cuuld have been made in Forestville, Conn. about 1880. See Tran Duy Ly book on WELCH CLOCKS (Vol. 1).

Default Re: Rotary pendulum clocks (RE: Bob Reichel)

There are also copies from China currently being offered occasionally on Ebay.

Default Re: Rotary pendulum clocks (RE: shutterbug)

I'm curious about these clocks, how does this clock ticks and where's the power source?

Cheers, Watchfixer

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: Rotary pendulum clocks (RE: Watchfixer)

Quote Originally Posted by Watchfixer View Post
    I'm curious about these clocks, how does this clock ticks and where's the power source?

Cheers, Watchfixer
    These clocks don't tick. The power source is a relatively long mainspring mounted with the movement in the base of the clock. The hands are driven by a shaft from the rear of the movement connected by a right angle gear to the motion works. The time train gears drive the last arbor, which has a lever at right angles to the arbor shaft, that turns in a circle parallel with the base of the clock. The conical pendulum has a pointer at the bottom of the bob which is pushed by the lever in a circular motion, the bob moves outward along the lever until gravitational force equals the impulse being given by the lever. To speed it up the bob is raised, to slow down the bob is lowered. Here is a description of Conical Pendulum operation, mathematics, etc. The more well-known conical pendulum clocks were made by Eugene Farcot; his monumental statue clocks (about 9-1/2 feet tall) were first exhibited at various exhibitions in the 1860's and early 1870's, including the 1876 U.S. Centennial in Philadephia. The clock shown in the link to Farcot is in the NAWCC Museum in Columbia, PA.

Default Re: Rotary pendulum clocks (RE: John Hubby)

From your description, John, it sounds like the bob acts like a governor as opposed to a traditional pendulum.

Frank

Default Re: Rotary pendulum clocks (RE: FDelGreco)

Is it possible to get some better pictures of at least the vertical part of the works? I'm trouble visualizing how it works mechanically. The WIKI link shows the math, but not the mechanics.

Default Re: Rotary pendulum clocks (RE: Bill Stuntz)

Here - this might help. I should mention (just to avoid confusion) that the ticking heard in the video is not from this clock
    Last edited by shutterbug; 05-28-2012 at 09:46 AM.

For all those that are interested, Charles Terwilliger wrote an article in the Apr. 1978 NAWCC Bulletin ( Vol.XX No.193 Page 99) about these clocks. Links to the article are as follows
    http://www.twigsdigs.com/cot/bulletin/briggs_1.pdf

http://www.twigsdigs.com/cot/bulletin/briggs_2.pdf

Vic

Default Re: Rotary pendulum clocks (RE: any400day)

WOW, thanks. I think I could easily be Mesmerized by one of those!

That endlessly circling pendulum drove me mad. That's governor mechanism! Common on old engines and still practiced in certain machines and engines.

How accurate is these rotary pendulum clock are?

Cheers, Watchfixer

Registered user.

Thanks guys for your input when I got both these clocks they were dirty and had some rust but the movement ran free when I tried to wind the spring half turn. Now after cleaning them and polishing the gear train seems jammed It just wont run freely once all the gears are put between the plates strange , all piviots are ok not bent . I will keep trying and see what is the problem I suspect the main spring gear and rachet assembly .

Will keep you updated

I see no other markings besides the serials and I am positive they are not chinese made

Shayne

How long does the clock run on a single winding?

A number of years ago I restored a mechanical clock drive for a ca. 1905 Warner and Swasey telescope for the local college. It's weight-driven and governor controlled, but the governor spins pretty fast -- hundreds of RPM. The weight drop was about 25 feet into a pit, but the unit would only run through the night on a winding. The first photo shows the restored drive. The second shows a closeup of the governor. As it spins, the two cylinders lift until they just balance the force of gravity. The cylinders actually have an off-center hole in them, so rotating the cylinders (there's a scale on the backside) allows one to speed up or slow down the clock drive to match the "apparent" motion of the stars through the skies.

Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN4079.jpg   DSCN4077.jpg