Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 829 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Wood veneer help

I have an old Jerome steeple clock. Some veneer is peeling in places. What would be the best way to proceed? I have done some veneer before. SEE PIC. Thanks Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20120428_16.JPG   20120428_15.JPG  

Default Re: Wood veneer help (RE: darticus)

Tedious we know but first determine specie of wood. Rosewood was very common to many of these. I soak the veneer in a glycerine and water solution for perhaps one day. Then I wrap it around a piece of wooden dowel or brass stock close to the radius of the damage. Let it dry for several days, remove from dowel, and apply. If area is large - replace it entirely. Patching small areas is of course the most challenging if you're trying to match existing veneer. G'luck matey.

Registered user.

Default Re: Wood veneer help (RE: Scottie-TX)

FANTASTIC! Have you ever tried peel n stick or the flexible veneer? Is it hard to remove old veneer? Thanks Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX View Post
    Tedious we know but first determine specie of wood. Rosewood was very common to many of these. I soak the veneer in a glycerine and water solution for perhaps one day. Then I wrap it around a piece of wooden dowel or brass stock close to the radius of the damage. Let it dry for several days, remove from dowel, and apply. If area is large - replace it entirely. Patching small areas is of course the most challenging if you're trying to match existing veneer. G'luck matey.

Registered user.

Maybe a peel and stick or a flexible veneer is the way to go? Maybe a good winter project. Is it hard to do the round edge of a clock like mine? How would be the best way to try and remove the veneer that on the edges? Thanks Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20120516_1.JPG  

I have used PSA veneer. (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) It is CRAPP. I've had disastrous results even on totally flat surfaces. For radius - curved apps. I use only wood glue like Elmers. Apply glue to both surfaces and clamp any way you choose. For your steeple I'd use clear shipping tape. Protect veneer with an isolation barrier of plain paper and wrap with tape.
    Removing old veneer can be either a breeze or a tedious process depending on existing bond.

Scottie: Thanks for the advice on the PSA! You just saved me a bunch of heartache!

Registered user.

Default Re: Wood veneer help (RE: Scottie-TX)

Are you saying use the packing tape to remove the old veneer? Than use elmer's glue to put on new veneer? Thanks Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX View Post
    I have used PSA veneer. (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) It is CRAPP. I've had disastrous results even on totally flat surfaces. For radius - curved apps. I use only wood glue like Elmers. Apply glue to both surfaces and clamp any way you choose. For your steeple I'd use clear shipping tape. Protect veneer with an isolation barrier of plain paper and wrap with tape.
    Removing old veneer can be either a breeze or a tedious process depending on existing bond.

No. I'm suggesting use of packing tape as a gluing clamp. Make CERTAIN veneer is properly positioned. A paper barrier prevents the adhesive from contacting the veneer. Wrap firmly and allow to dry for a few days.