Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 848 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

View Poll Results: If you were to purchase a new cleaning machine, which would it be?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ultrasonic

6 66.67%
  • Mechanical

3 33.33%

Question What's the best watch cleaning machine?

In my search across the internet I've encountered the expected touts of "best", "better", "most effective" etc... when describing the variety of cleaning machines on the market; ultrasonic vs. mechanical, heated vs. non-heated. I thought hey, why not ask the users what they think based on years of experience. My personal setup is a small-scale in-the-home watch repair shop that cleans on the average about 5-10 watches per week. thus, I'm not in need of an industrial strength model for mass cleaning jobs. I'm thinking something that can handle perhaps 3-5 watches at a time with a variety of baskets. Other than that, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I think I'd rather purchase something that comes with a warranty, but I see so many used models out there at such good deals.

So, tell me... what works best for you, and why? And what do you think would work best for me?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Mikollectibles; 05-03-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Default Re: What's the best watch cleaning machine? (RE: Mikollectibles)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikollectibles View Post
    In my search across the internet I've encountered the expected touts of "best", "better", "most effective" etc... when describing the variety of cleaning machines on the market; ultrasonic vs. mechanical, heated vs. non-heated. I thought hey, why not ask the users what they think based on years of experience. My personal setup is a small-scale in-the-home watch repair shop that cleans on the average about 5-10 watches per week. thus, I'm not in need of an industrial strength model for mass cleaning jobs. I'm thinking something that can handle perhaps 3-5 watches at a time with a variety of baskets. Other than that, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I think I'd rather purchase something that comes with a warranty, but I see so many used models out there at such good deals.

So, tell me... what works best for you, and why? And what do you think would work best for me?

Thank you in advance!
    The best answer i have is, do you clean 3 watches a year as a hobbyist or a 100 watches as a profession.For me i like my ultrasonic and use it, but i do realize it,s limits of cleaning.
    Also how deep are your pockets, what is your budget.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: What's the best watch cleaning machine? (RE: Mikollectibles)

I use, and have used for quite some years, a Watchmaster WT Mark II ultrasonic watch cleaning machine. It has a heater for drying, however the cups are not heated. I like it because it's easy to use, very economical (the cleaning and rinse cups only take abut 1 cup of solution), and is quite powerful. It is also compact - not big and bulky. The racks that hold the movements for cleaning will hold six movements, with a basket for each movement, or one pocketwatch movement with several baskets. For the cases I use a 2 quart L&R tank ultrasonic. I personally prefer the old Watchmaster/Vibrograf watch cleaning machines (such as mine), over the L&R watch cleaning machines.
    Samantha

Default Re: What's the best watch cleaning machine? (RE: Samantha)

I have always been partial to L&R with ultrasonic attachment. I currently use an old console type Ultrasonic, but would love to have a Tempo 400. I do a complete disassembly, because it makes inspecting jewels, gears, and pinions, alot easier. John

Default Re: What's the best watch cleaning machine? (RE: johndmc)

I totally love the Tempo 400.

tk

Registered user.

Default Re: What's the best watch cleaning machine? (RE: tkarter)

I've used the Watchmaster ultrasonic, the Safeway manual and the L&R manual cleaning machine and I've found that the old L&R machine along with fresh cleaning solutions would out perform them all. Of course you would also have to have good cleaning practises such as pegging the jewel holes and pre cleaning the grundge off the plates. The Safeway machine was the absolute worst of the bunch. Loud, clunky and just plain unreliable.

Default Re: What's the best watch cleaning machine? (RE: Belanger)

I've owned and used a L&R (mechanical), a Peerless (mechanical)with "automatic operation" (it has a washing-machine like effect, it turns clockwise, then reverses itself and turns counter-clockwise), a Vari-matic(ultrasonic), and a Watchmaster(ultrasonci). I still own and use the Watchmaster, but I usually use the Peerless.

Default Re: What's the best watch cleaning machine? (RE: sderek)

I have a L + R ultrasonic , (light + compact)but it's not any better than my mechanical L + R vari- matic (heavy + bulky).

Default Re: What's the best watch cleaning machine? (RE: NC Plumber)

Without question the Tempo 400 I have 2 machines, and always fully strip every watch no other way to do it correctly.