Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 948 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Schatz Quartz 400 day hair spring pendulum assistance

Hi Folks,

I received the subject clock today. Keeps good time, pendulum doesn't work. Apparantly the top came loose at one time and the swinging magnets cut into the coil on both sides. There is significant damage and fairly deep into the coil. I would need a microscope to even try and fix it.
    Are any components available for these movements. Sigh, this is a sentimental wedding aniversary clock, so I am trying to fix it for the lady.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thank you
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magnets.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	129659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken coils 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	129661
    Last edited by David S; 05-02-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: forgot pictures
    David S

Default Re: Schatz Quartz 400 day hair spring pendulum assistance (RE: David S)

David. Is this actually a quartz controlled timepiece? Or is it a transistor switched electromagnetic oscillating torsion device made to operate in the same manner as the fake pendulum seen on quartz wall clocks?

I suspect the damaged coil is a three-lead, two-coil combination sense-drive coil assembly much like those used to wig-wag the fake pendulums.

You could possibly purchase one of the more powerful fake pendulum devices used for long pendulums and salvage the coil to repair the lady's clock. The tricky part is identifying the coil leads while carefully removing the damaged part and substituting the replacement coil with the wires properly oriented.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: Schatz Quartz 400 day hair spring pendulum assistance (RE: eskmill)

Les, I think it is a two transistor astable multvibrator. I will trace the circuit tomorrow. And yes it is two coils.. three leads...one lead is actually two leads, one from each coil. From what I can tell so far this is not a sense drive, but rather a "push -pull" arangement. But once I trace the circuit I can confirm. The coil OD is 10 mm and the height is 3mm, so quite small.. I have various diameters of magnet wire, and if I have a small enough gauge, I may try and wind a new coil....if I can't find a replacement.
    The main time train is quartz, but the pendulum seems to be controled by a separate circuit that just pulses the coils with a hairspring on the pendulum to control the oscillation.
    David S

Les here is the schematic. I guess if no one can suggest a replacement for this coil, I will start making some form toolling and try and wind a new one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendulum driver schematic.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	129699
    David S

I guess this is the last request. I managed to wind a new coil, but unfortunately I didnt' have fine enought magnet wire.

If no one can suggest a suitable alternative I will close this thread.

Thanks to all.
    David S

There one on ebay, not expensive.

Cheers, Watchfixer

Blog Entries

Default Re: Schatz Quartz 400 day hair spring pendulum assistance (RE: Watchfixer)

David have you tried Perrins from Toronto for the parts you need.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Schatz Quartz 400 day hair spring pendulum assistance (RE: Kevin W.)

Kevin I looked at Perrins on line but didn't see anything for this type of rotary pendulum. I will email them to see if they have something.

I made a new coil but the smallest magnet wire I had was about 0.11mm diameter and it didn't work. The orginal coil wire diameter is about 0.035mm. I found an a/c coil relay in my junk box, and have taken it apart. The wire is very close, so I am going to make one more attempt. It could be a challange to wind it without breaking... we will see.
    Thank you to all for providing tips.
    David S

Blog Entries

Winding a coil is a skill David, i wish you luck as well.Likely there are places online to buy the fine wire needed for coils.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Schatz Quartz 400 day hair spring pendulum assistance (RE: Kevin W.)

Yes Kevin. I am sure you have seen these coils. Actually two coils bifilar wound and with no coil forum. The coil is stuck to gether as a solid with some sort of varnish or adhesive. I made an adjustable forum which I used release agent on and wound the first one, impregnated it with super glue as I progress, then removed the forms. It fit nicely, but not enough turns and too low a resistance. Just have to be very carefull on the next one. But that will be my last attempt.
    David S

Well alas I can close this thread. My second attempt to wind the coil proved successful. Took a bit of screwing around to get the coils phased, but the pendulum is now swinging full revolutions stop to stop. Would I do it again? I guess so, as long as I can get the fine wire, the customer really wants it fixed and there are no other alternatives.
    David S