Month's Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 - (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 842 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default How To Identify Which Company Made The Movement On My Rovelstad Bros.Pocket Watch?

Hey everyone, I'll just get this out of the way and say that I'm a newb to this whole pocket watch game. My wife brought home a non working Rovelstad Bros. Elgin Ill. pocket watch from an auction. It has the serial number 427707 on the movement, and what I'm trying to figure out is who made the movement so that I can properly date it.
    Any help with how I can date this watch properly would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG9973.jpg   CIMG9977.jpg  

Default Re: How To Identify Which Company Made The Movement On My Rovelstad Bros.Pocket Watch (RE: Danny L Ferguson)

Congratulations! Your wife found you a lovely watch made by the Hamilton Watch Co. for Rovelstad Bros. It is their grade 924 and was made around 1905.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Smile Re: How To Identify Which Company Made The Movement On My Rovelstad Bros.Pocket Watch (RE: Jerry Treiman)

Hi Danny:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

You have a very nice private label watch with its fancy dial!

In addition to the good information that Jerry posted, you may find the Hamilton Watch Co. Encyclopedia article helpful. Also, a very brief catalog description of Hamilton's grade No. 924 on page 82 of the 1903 OY Co. catalog.

Unless you know that it has been cleaned and oiled within the last few years, you should have the watch serviced before running it very much. It may be helpful for you to read the Encyclopedia article on Watch Service and its related links, especially the one to the message board thread on the subject. The Encyclopedia article on Choosing a Pocket Watch Repair Person may be useful as well.

If you tell us the markings stamped inside the back of the watch case (or post a picture of them), we may be able to tell you something about it. You can ignore any "hand-scratched" characters, they're probably watch repairers' marks.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Registered user.

Default Re: How To Identify Which Company Made The Movement On My Rovelstad Bros.Pocket Watch (RE: Kent)

Thanks Jerry and Kent for your help in Identifying this movement. I was going in the wrong direction thinking that it must be an Elgin movement based on the history of the Rovelstad Bros. and the Elgin Watch Co. And then I saw the possibility of it being either Elgin, Hamilton, or even Waltham, and I figured I better ask some people that might know. Kent, I have included a picture of the inside of the case, and it's hallmark. I do see those little numbers you described as maintenance/repair marks. Not sure what I'm going to do with it at this point. It is a very large and heavy watch, so I can't see myself actually using it as a carry watch. May just tuck it away and decide on it later. Again, thanks for all of your help. Dan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG9981.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	129555

Default Re: How To Identify Which Company Made The Movement On My Rovelstad Bros.Pocket Watch (RE: Danny L Ferguson)

Danny:

Your watch case is nickel and was made by the Crescent Watch Case Co.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia