Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 956 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Inherited a Volkmann Pocket Watch

I inherited this Volkmann pocket watch from my grandfather but can not find any information on it. He lived in Sweden but that is all I know about it. When I search on it I find absolutely nothing. It has a serial number 8798867. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volkmann Pocket Watch.001.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	129515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volkmann Pocket Watch 2.002.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	129517
    Last edited by molsson; 04-30-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Registered user.

Default Re: Inherited a Volkmann Pocket Watch (RE: molsson)

Volkmann Jewelers (once H.E. Volkmann & Sons)
    appears to be still an active business in Kankakee
    Illinois, as marked on the case of your watch. It's
    probably not a very old watch, and unlikely to have
    a Swedish connection, although a re-case is a possibility.

If you'll post a clear close-up (macro) picture of the
    movement (works) inside, someone will probably
    be able to help identify it further.
    Last edited by LloydB; 05-01-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Default Re: Inherited a Volkmann Pocket Watch (RE: LloydB)

Here is a picture of the inside. Let me know if it is good enough. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  

Smile Re: Inherited a Volkmann Pocket Watch (RE: molsson)

Hi molsson:

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

This is a 7-jewel, private label watch made by the Hampden Watch Co. Bearing Hampden, movement serial number of 2948040 it was built in the mid 'teens. It is a fairly small watch, a 3/0-size, Hampden model 4, Molly Stark grade. This would be a ladies' watch.

If you tell us the markings stamped inside the back of the watch case - not the circle with Vokmann's name - or post a picture of them, we may be able to tell you something about it. You can ignore any "hand-scratched" characters, they're probably watch repairers' marks.

Unless you know that it has been cleaned and oiled within the last few years, you should have the watch serviced before running it very much. It may be helpful for you to read the Encyclopedia article on Watch Service and its related links, especially the one to the message board thread on the subject. The Encyclopedia article on Choosing a Pocket Watch Repair Person may be useful as well.

Having gathered and printed out information about a family watch (once we can say something about the case), it is a wise idea to write out as much as you know about the family member to whom the watch originally belonged. Then, add the names and relationships of the family members who passed it down to the current holder. Make up a booklet with this and all of the watch information and try to keep it with the watch. You might even include a CD or, better yet, a USB thumb drive with copies of the pictures or information, in addition to the printouts. Even though they may not be readable 100 years from now, some more recent descendent may transfer the files to the then current format and media. This way, the watch has real family heritage instead of it just being an old family watch, the identity and relationship of the original owner having been lost in the distant past.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Smile Re: Inherited a Volkmann Pocket Watch (RE: Kent)

Insofar as this is an American-made movement, labeled for an American retailer, perhaps the moderator should move it to the American Pocket Watches forum.

Thanks,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Inherited a Volkmann Pocket Watch (RE: Kent)

Thank you for this information. Very helpful. I have posted 2 additional pictures that hopefully shows what you are looking for. Also I really like the idea of the booklet with the family history part.

Also I will move this post to the US forum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 5-7-12 at 12.41 PM.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	130282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 5-7-12 at 12.45 PM.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	130281

Don't try to re-post your thread there - we'll have to wait for the moderator to move it.

Anyway, your watch case is gold-filled and was made by the Dueber Watch Case Manufacturing Co. Many of the Molly Stark grade movements, which were part of the Hampden "400 Series" movements, were cased at Dueber-Hampden. However, for any of these, including a private label watch, it is uncertain if it was ordered cased, or if the watch case was added at the time of retail sale.

Good luck,
    Last edited by Kent; 05-07-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Inherited a Volkmann Pocket Watch (RE: Kent)

Thank you Kent. Do you recommend I have it valued for insurance purpose or just have it serviced, put together the ​booklet and keep it safe?

Its value as an heirloom far exceeds its monetary value. If it was mine, I would not have it appraised for insurance purposes.

The person who performs the watch service should be able to give you a good estimate of its value (which may well be less than the cost of the service).

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia