Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3290 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    R Smith

Default Replacing chains on grandfather clock (RE: R Smith)

Hello,

Hoping someone here could help. I just recently moved and the chains were taken out of my modern grandfather clock. I replaced the middle chain fine, but when I tried replacing either side chains, and then attached the weights, the weights would zoom down (thank God I was there to catch them), ie the chains are not catching on the wheels. Is there a trick to getting the chain on just right? Was it a fluke I got the middle chain on so it didn't fall? Thanks for any advice or tips!

rachel

R Smith

Default Replacing chains on grandfather clock

Hello,

Hoping someone here could help. I just recently moved and the chains were taken out of my modern grandfather clock. I replaced the middle chain fine, but when I tried replacing either side chains, and then attached the weights, the weights would zoom down (thank God I was there to catch them), ie the chains are not catching on the wheels. Is there a trick to getting the chain on just right? Was it a fluke I got the middle chain on so it didn't fall? Thanks for any advice or tips!

rachel

Sounds like you may be hanging the weight on the wrong end of the chain...

David
    David Robertson - Kingsland, TX

R Smith

I don't think that's it...cause the pulley only works one direction..the weights are on the right end and everything works just fine with chiming and such but then it seems the chain will catch (or should I say un-catch) and then fall. Everything works properly up til then, ie pulling the chain and raising the weights to rewind the clock...the chains don't look twisted but all I can think of is that they are not seated properly..how do I put the chains on and check that they are seated properly?

raymond c matthews

hello sounds like wrong pitch chains or worn sprockets on the pulley regardsray

Is it a Howard Miller with 5 hammers on side? You may have a warranty issue...better check with your local HM service rep.

Mark A. Butterworth

The unit David P. is referring to is the Kieninger SKS series and is marked as "SKS" on the on the rear plate. Most were the SKS12 model. These have had a history of click failure on the chain wheel. If you can be more specific as to which movement you actually have it would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

To answer your question about reinstalling the chain, after "fishing" a bit of the chain end on and around the chain wheel, I pull the chain slowly down about half of its length and listen to what should be even clicks of the rachet. By then, if the chain if not proplery seated, it usally falls off. At that point, before installing the weight I tug a bit with my hand to insure proper click resistance. If possible I also try to make a visual inspection from either the side or underneath.

R Smith

Thanks for all your tips. I will try to make sure the chain is seated properly. I must've been doing something wrong, because I just did my other grandfather clock and the same thing happened...the middle chain stayed with no problems and is still ticking this morning, but the two outer ones stayed fine for a minute or two and then fell through the floor of the clock (thank God they weren't antiques or I would've been upset)...I may just end up claiming the clocks for our move..that way a professional will come and make an assessment anyway. Thanks again all.

Registered user.

This may be a bit too simple..... But did you thread the chains in the right direction? ie: if you try to pull the chains back up do they slip or hold?

Just a thought!

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, Rachel. Too late now, but in the future when you move, do not take the chains off, but tie them up tight to the movement seatboard with a twist tie so they cannot come off their sprokets. If you have someone come over to help you, have your clocks lubricated at the same time, as this is something that should be done every 2-5 years.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

R Smith

I don't know why the movers removed all the chains..I did not instruct them to do this. When I put the chains on, they hold initially when I put the weight on and tick/tock just fine...somewhere in the process though, they slip, and it is only the two outer chains that do this. I did go ahead and oil the lube points on both clocks since I was in there...but this is just frustrating..and now to have the floor broken through on the one...I just thought maybe there was a method to checking that the chains were seated properly. They are definitely in the right direction, because both clocks, the chain in the middle that runs the time, is running perfectly..why the two outside chains slip on both clocks is beyond me...

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Rachel, it sounds like the movers damaged the clicks on the ratchet gears when they removed the chains. I would go after them if they are a reputable company, to repair the damages. If they took them off, they should be responsible to put them back on. To check if the chains are seating properly, you may have to remove the movement from the case, or if your clock has a removable top or sides, you may be able to see what is happening that way.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

R Smith

Thanks. The military does our move, so I'm thinking we will just claim both clocks when we put in our claim...I have a feeling those guys just ripped the chains out any which way...I did not have such trouble with them before this. Thanks for all the quick responses.