Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 813 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Unhappy Thinking of selling my RR pocketwatch collection?

I have been thinking for awhile about letting go of my 200 plus RR watches, I have them locked away as of fear of being robbed,I would like to get some members thoughts on should I let them go or keep them I rarely get to enjoy them. I have them insured but thats getting costly.

Default Re: Thinking of selling my RR pocketwatch collection? (RE: jlklos)

I would keep just the real special ones if you're thinking about selling some. For me, one watch of that type is enough but I know some people like to have as many as they can get.

Default Re: Thinking of selling my RR pocketwatch collection? (RE: Dch48)

A collection is supposed to make you happy. If it's not doing that, it's not serving its purpose.

Default Re: Thinking of selling my RR pocketwatch collection? (RE: GeneJockey)

Many serious collectors have consigned their collections to bank vaults, including me, without losing their collector's curiosity or compulsion. I would like to have all my collection handy, but the high cost of insurance and the inability of even the strongest safe to protect me from a viscious thief with any kind of weapon makes that impossible. So I content myself with a very elaborate catalog of my collection, copiously illustrated with color photos, and the rotating dozen or so watches I "borrow" from the vault. If you cannot keep your interest alive without having all your watches immediately available, your interest is too weak and you should sell your collection. However, if you are creative, you ought to be able to find a way to keep your interest alive even if most of your watches are in the vault.

Default Re: Thinking of selling my RR pocketwatch collection? (RE: Ethan Lipsig)

Before I made a decision to sell, I would ask myself 2 questions:
    1 Does my collection still make me happy?
    2 Will I be able to live with myself if I sell it?

Registered user.

Yes collecting watches still makes me happy! This is the start of my second collection the first was taken from me, not a happy moment in my life. I have always been in love with watches ever since I got my degree in horology at Gem City College in Quincy IL. Its something I have been thinking about, maybe someone wound get more out of it at this time. Thanks for your input.

jlklos, When did you go to Gem City? I was there in the 1990's
    Every man must have a purpose to strive for, A cause to fight for, A dream to live for, Because A Man without a Dream is Dead

Registered user.

I finished shool there in 1978,I still go back there from time to time to see friends that live in Quincy. Now i have a small jewelry and watch repair store we buy,sell trade.

It is much cheaper in the long run to get a unmoveable safe and a wireless security system than Insurance.
    Jim Haney

Registered user.

I do have a 4,000 and a 1,000 pound safe and state of the art alarm system with cell back up, insuranced to the hilt also, but if someone wants in they will find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by jlklos View Post
    I do have a 4,000 and a 1,000 pound safe and state of the art alarm system with cell back up, insuranced to the hilt also, but if someone wants in they will find a way.
    OK, It sounds like you have your mind made up that you don't have any confidence in your safes and security system, so pay the insurance.

If you have an immovable safe and good alarm system and test it for response time, the safe should hold until the police arrive?

Is there some other circumstance that is preventing this from working?

Also, The message board rules prohibit "For Sale" posts, but as long as this discussion stays in the general terms of "Why should I keep my collection" it is allowed but any PM received with a request of what you have and how much is it ,should be handled according to the rules and guidelines of the message board.

Thanks
    Jim Haney

Registered user.

Thanks for your input everbody I dont think I could let them go after giving it alot of though this past week. I wasn,t looking for someone to buy them on here i could sell them anytime i just have a fear of loosing a second collection.

Blog Entries

If you want to enjoy your collection but keep it in the vault you could buy a computer and build a web site. http://www.awco.org/collections.htm.

The Message Board is inaugurating today a set of premium forums where newcomers can ask questions about the value of their items. What do you think it is worth is located at the bottom of the Message Board.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Thinking of selling my RR pocketwatch collection? (RE: Tom McIntyre)

Tom,
    Thank you for helping install this much needed feature.

Maybe it could be in the watch and clock foruns also in case people go directly there instead of the main board.
    Jim Haney