Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 906 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Cuckoo and Quail Clock with Exposed Birds

This is a clock I have owned for several years, but I just finished with the restoration, and thought I would share it here.

It is a nicely carved Black Forest cuckoo and quail clock made by Samuel Kammerer, a Furtwangen maker. The quail calls the quarters, the cuckoo the hours. The case is large at 29" high. What really makes this one special is the birds are oversize and exposed, sitting on the top of the case... a very unusual variation.

The movement is a very large brass plate triple fusee movement. The clock has a 8-day running duration.

I took a short video of the clock in action and you can see it here:

http://youtu.be/GUQYUwtWWvo

Note: I disabled the gongs so the cuckoo and quail call can be heard unaccompanied... which was my preference... but the clock is designed to strike with the cuckoo and quail call on two gongs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails site 1.jpg   site 2.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Cuckoo and Quail Clock with Exposed Birds (RE: BLACK FOREST CLOCKS)

Beautiful clock, Justin. Love the carvings.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Cuckoo and Quail Clock with Exposed Birds (RE: harold bain)

Yes, very cool! I've never seen birds like those either

A very interesting movement and the way teh birds are 'wired' to it!

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: Cuckoo and Quail Clock with Exposed Birds (RE: ballistarius)

Thanks for the kind words.

I am going to bring this clock, along with a dozen or so others, to the 2012 National convention in Pasadena.

For those interested in seeing a variety of rare and unusual Black Forest clocks... there willbe a large display in the mart room.

Best,

Justin

fantastic as usual... what a case, WHAT A MOVEMENT!!! what a clock!! will this be at the show in cali?

Default Re: Cuckoo and Quail Clock with Exposed Birds (RE: ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG)

Quote Originally Posted by runningman78 View Post
    fantastic as usual... what a case, WHAT A MOVEMENT!!! what a clock!! will this be at the show in cali?
    Hi Jeff,

Yes I'll be bringing this one for the display at the National in Pasadena... Plus a dozen or so others. My goal is to cover a wide variation for the display. It will be a good showing of automata and musical BF clocks from the 18th and 19th century...

Will bring a group of Wehrles in the mix.

Hope to see you there...

Justin

great...im hoping to make the trip.. hey, a little off subject here, but your avitar...is that E. Wehrle?

Default Re: Cuckoo and Quail Clock with Exposed Birds (RE: ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG)

Stunning clock! I have not seen a lot of clocks but have never seen one with 2 'koos. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the video.
    shimmystep.

Default Re: Cuckoo and Quail Clock with Exposed Birds (RE: shimmystep)

A beautiful clock and quite rare, too.
    Thanks for sharing, Justin.
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"