Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 904 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 book ?

It's a Caravelle ( maybe a cheap enough movement that it doesn't render mention in the book ?? ) nice running & looking 17 jewel mechanical movement...

tried looking through the Bulova section & couldn't even find anything that looked like it... any ideas ??

love the watch right now, even if it's not collectable... ( I've since added a Black padded leather, extra long, quality watch band, & it may be my new favorite )... at least until the next one comes along...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bulova skeleton 17 jewel mechanical.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	129138

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 bo (RE: Magnum Wheel Man)

It would appear that the level of interest in a particular watch or type of watch in the collectible community may have some influence on whether it appears in collector guides. Maybe in 30 years or so, it's turn will come up.

Default Re: Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 bo (RE: doug sinclair)

Thanks for the reply...

I figured there must not be much intrest as long as it took to get any response... I think it's a nice looking watch... & no comments on it ( maybe because it's a Caravelle ?? )

anyway I'd like to learn more about it... anywhere I could look to find any info on it ??

Registered user.

Default Re: Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 bo (RE: Magnum Wheel Man)

Hi there,

at the first glance I thought: Well, one of those many skeletonized Peseux movements dropped into the 90s. But then the strange position of the balance and the rare design of the train (like e.g. in movements from Revue or Rolex) made me curious.

The movement is an Amida 715. Amida was well known for cheap pin levers, and precisely into the quartz crisis they placed their first quality movement - no good reason for business success. So already a standard version of this movement is rare, and what should one think about a gold plated skeleton? I guess it became effordable for Bulova when Amida went dow the creek.

Maybe, it looks like many others, but in fact it is a rarity.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Identify your movement here

Default Re: Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 bo (RE: Roland Ranfft)

cool... I know I hadn't seen another like it... will keep trying to do more digging... thanks for the info...

Default Re: Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 bo (RE: Roland Ranfft)

Hello.
    Here is a skeleton Bulova with the original lizard strap. I have the box and paperwork also. This is a different movement than the Caravelle pictured [don't know what movement it is] and doesn't have the sweep seconds hand. Gold tone from the early 90s.
    David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails skeleton Bulova 014 copy.jpg   skeleton Bulova 021 copy.jpg  

Default Re: Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 bo (RE: D Magner)

that's also a nice looking watch... I bought mine assuming it wasn't worth much, but I like how it looks... yours looks every bit as nice...

Registered user.

Default Re: Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 bo (RE: D Magner)

Hi David,

Quote Originally Posted by D Magner View Post
    ...don't know what movement it is...
    That's what I'd expect in a Caravelle, since these are often equipped with Citizen movements. It is es sceletonized Citizen 8260A:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&Citizen_8260A

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Identify your movement here

Roland,
    Thanks for that information!
    David