Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 833 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Remove Rusted Movement from case.

I am working on a dive watch. It's a one-piece case (open through crystal) and it looks like the seals leaked at some point and there is rust on the movement.

I removed the crystal and I was able to lift the dial up enough to release the dial screws and remove the dial, but the rest of the movement is stuck in the case back.

Any suggestions on how to get this movement out of the case. Of course, I want to salvage as much of the movements as possible (as well as the case!).

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by cj415; 04-13-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Default Re: Remove Rusted Movement from case. (RE: cj415)

You can always try Naval Jelly. It will break down the rust but shouldn't attack the metal.

Default Re: Remove Rusted Movement from case. (RE: Lorne)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
    You can always try Naval Jelly. It will break down the rust but shouldn't attack the metal.

Frankly, I wouldn't try that- I suspect that Naval Jelly will attack the plate and bridges of the watch...but then, you may have more experience than I have.

If it were me, I would try ultrasonically cleaning the watch in kerosene- that should not harm what is left of the watch.

Default Re: Remove Rusted Movement from case. (RE: technitype)

Thanks for the tips... I think I'll start slowly and move up from there. I'll put it in the ultrasonic with just water and then try some L&R Ultrasonic solution. If those don't work, I'll put out the bigger guns.

Thanks again,
    Chris

Registered user.

Default Re: Remove Rusted Movement from case. (RE: cj415)

I've had similar experience with a dive watch. Soaked it in weapons cleaning fine oil over night, then cleaned in zippo lighter fluid. All the rubber gaskets do swell up from the oil, but they were probably faulty anyway. I have also used penetrating releasing oil with success.