Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 842 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Tall Case Clock "Hart & Way"

Hello,
    Here are some photos of a tall case clock I recently won at auction. I am hoping someone can give me some information on the movement. The case appears to be a typical Trumbull County, Ohio poplar case and I was expecting to find a wooden works movement inside when I removed the top prior to the auction start. However, this movement has wooden plates with brass gears. The seatboard in the case looks original and fits the movement and dial perfect, so I believe everything is original. Also has anyone ever heard of "Hart U. Way" or "Hart & Way"? (I'm not sure if it's a "U" or "&".) I am assuming this clock came form Brookfield, Ohio, which is quite near to where I live and where the auction took place.
    Thanks
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg  
    Last edited by soaringjoy; 04-07-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: title
    "I hope I don't run out of time"!

Default Re: Tall Case Clock "Hart & Way" (RE: J.Lester)

The American Clock by William H. Diston and Robert Bishop list a Hart & Way Brookfield, Conn. circa 1800
    Last edited by soaringjoy; 04-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Default Re: Tall Case Clock "Hart & Way" (RE: J.Lester)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lester View Post
    Hello,
    Here are some photos of a tall case clock I recently won at auction. I am hoping someone can give me some information on the movement. The case appears to be a typical Trumbull County, Ohio poplar case and I was expecting to find a wooden works movement inside when I removed the top prior to the auction start. However, this movement has wooden plates with brass gears. The seatboard in the case looks original and fits the movement and dial perfect, so I believe everything is original. Also has anyone ever heard of "Hart U. Way" or "Hart & Way"? (I'm not sure if it's a "U" or "&".) I am assuming this clock came form Brookfield, Ohio, which is quite near to where I live and where the auction took place.
    Thanks
    Jon
    Interesting clock.

As Jack indicated, the name is Hart & Way.

Some information is to be found about this partnership in Morris' wonderful book, American Wooden Movement Tall Clocks:1712-1835. On page 403, he reports that they worked together after 10/1831 in Brookfield, Trumball County, OH. This was a partnership most likely between Ambrose Hart and Martin C. Way. Also he refers to a report of a 30 hour pull-up movement and dial by this maker reported in CCJ 24, 1995, page 5. I've attached a scan of that page. Inexplicably, it doesn't appear that the pictures were included?

Morris also talks more about Hart with clocks pictured on pages 275-9.

I could not find any information about this partnership in Gibbs' Buckeye Horology.

I also checked Rogers, Trumball County Clock Industry, 1812-1835. They discuss and picture clocks by A. Hart and Hart and Truesdal(e). Nothing about Hart and Way.

I will say, the movements in the other clocks to which Hart signed his name to the dials either alone or with a partner all look very diffierent. They are made in the Waterbury or Plymouth, CT style. The one in yours looks more like a Black Forest wag on the wall movement, which doesn't mean it couldn't be American. What appears to be a too wide dial aperture for the cannon arbor as well as those dial mounting screws give me some pause about it.

I think I'll hand this over to the wood works mavens.

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan0003.jpg  
    Last edited by soaringjoy; 04-07-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Default Re: Tall Case Clock "Hart & Way" (RE: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Hart & Way clocks, made, as you suggest, in Brookfield, Ohio, are only known from a few examples. They were a short lived successor company to Ansell Merrill, who went off to debtor's prison for a while. Martin C. Way was one of the workers in the factory, and Ambrose Hart was an investor in the firm, hoping no doubt to recover some of his money. The Black Forest movement is no doubt a later addition- this dial would have come equipped with a seatboard and Ansell Merrill type movement, which would look like a Connecticut movement. Chris Klingemier of Ohio is something of an expert on these Ohio makers, and is doing an in-depth study of the dials. He may chime in here.

A picture of the back side of the dial will be helpful in confirming that this is not the original movement.

Default Re: Tall Case Clock "Hart & Way" (RE: Peter A. Nunes)

Peter's information is correct. Ambrose Hart was the brother of Alvah Hart, one of the principals in Hart & Truesdale. Ambrose also released clocks marked A. Hart, Brookfield. Hart & Way only operated for a short time beginning in 1831. Their advertisement in the Western Reserve Chronicle announcing that they had acquired the Ansel Merrel factory appeared the same week as 2 announcements for seizure and sale of Merrell clocks to satisfy debts. I doubt that they operated for more than one season.
    The proper clock works for your dial are Waterbury type. Merrell's fabricated wheels and axels which he both used for his movements and supplied to others. Several Garry Lewis marked dials are known with A. Merrell's works.
    Your case does appear to be of the typical Trumbull County type, but with a later cornice.
    As to the question regarding the originality of the movement, the only part of the clock that can be assigned to H & W is the movement, ... Dials, bells, canisters may all have been sourced. The movement is certainly a later change.

Correction to last post.
    the last sentence should make clear that the only thing that we are sure H & W made were clockworks and that the movement currently accompanying the H .& W dial were not mad by them.

Default Re: Tall Case Clock "Hart & Way" (RE: Chris Klingemier)

Can we assume the information in Diston & Bishop about "Hart & Way" Brookfield Conn. to be incorrect or was this another or earlier company?

Default Re: Tall Case Clock "Hart & Way" (RE: jacks61fd)

Quote Originally Posted by jacks61fd View Post
    Can we assume the information in Diston & Bishop about "Hart & Way" Brookfield Conn. to be incorrect or was this another or earlier company?
    Yes, I think the reference in Distin & Bishop can be disregarded. Many assumptions were made in earlier publications, including the NAWCC Bulletins of the 1940s, 50s, and 60s, much of which have been superceded by information derived from actual research. Hart & Way is a good example.

Thank you RM, Peter, and Chris for the excellent information. I agree the Black Forest style movement is a later addition. The back of the dial confirms this would have originally had a Connecticut style wooden works movement. Will start hunting for the correct movement to get it back as it should be.

Jon
    "I hope I don't run out of time"!