Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 859 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default 2 very rare clocks , from PRIVATE COLLECTION OF FAMILY MUSEUM

if any one have any info on this very rare 2 clocks , from PRIVATE COLLECTION OF FAMILY MUSEUM

thank you

https://picasaweb.google.com/1008011...eat=directlink

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: 2 very rare clocks , from PRIVATE COLLECTION OF FAMILY MUSEUM (RE: lj1art)

Quote Originally Posted by lj1art View Post
    if any one have any info on this very rare 2 clocks , from PRIVATE COLLECTION OF FAMILY MUSEUM

thank you
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1008011...eat=directlink
    lj1art, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board and thanks for posting your inquiry and the link to photos of the clocks in question.

The first clock is a Junghans swinger, the model name is Salome (Cleopatra) no. 4/101. You have what appears to be an original clock and not one of the recent reproductions, and it appears to be in excellent condition. This model was made in the 1920's and 1930's so it hasn't yet reached the 100-year mark. While this model is relatively scarce quite a number of them are known to exist so it cannot be considered to be rare and certainly not "very rare". It is still a nice collectible clock.

The second clock is evidently a desk alarm clock however I don't recognize the mark on the dial so cannot be of assistance for identification. Hopefully one of our alarm clock experts will see this thread and be able to respond as to who made the clock and it's degree of rarity.

Default Re: 2 very rare clocks , from PRIVATE COLLECTION OF FAMILY MUSEUM (RE: John Hubby)

The alarm clock has strong resemblances to the Dewey Long Alarm made by the William L. Gilbert Clock Company, as shown in Tran Duy Ly's book on Gilbert clocks from the 1900 catalogue. The catalogue picture, however, shows side "columns" with scrolled tops, and the description indicates that the alarm indicator is on the back of the clock, whereas yours has an alarm bit on the dial. Possibly yours is a later or earlier variation of the same clock or a different model offered by Gilbert but not found in Tran. I also cannot rule out completely that a different company produced yours, maybe modeling it to an extent on the Gilbert; I also cannot ID the mark or logo on the dial. Perhaps a closer picture of the mark would be helpful, as would a look at the alarm clock movement.

Default Re: 2 very rare clocks , from PRIVATE COLLECTION OF FAMILY MUSEUM (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Could the mark on the alarm clock be a lighthouse?
    Almost all the major makers had similar models in their programs
    around 1900, 1910, so a look at the movement may provide further
    clues.
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: 2 very rare clocks , from PRIVATE COLLECTION OF FAMILY MUSEUM (RE: soaringjoy)

Quote Originally Posted by soaringjoy View Post
    Could the mark on the alarm clock be a lighthouse?
    Almost all the major makers had similar models in their programs
    around 1900, 1910, so a look at the movement may provide further
    clues.
    Could be a lighthouse; I had thought perhaps a bell - there seems to be a clapper, but I'm not sure. Which major makers did you have in mind?

Default Re: 2 very rare clocks , from PRIVATE COLLECTION OF FAMILY MUSEUM (RE: Steven Thornberry)

To tell the truth, I had nothing in mind, but rather thought,
    it might "ring a bell".
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"