Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 931 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Seth Thomas 3 weight tall clock

I am trying to identify the movement in my Seth Thomas three weight tall clock. The works were purchased in Cleaveland Ohio in the late 1800, or early 1900s. The cabinet was built by another person. The clock is cable driven with a moon dial and behind the face on the frame is stamped Made in USAmerica. Also ST in a little box and the number 592. The clock is an 8 day clock with Quarter strike Westminster Chimes and the hour on cathedral bell. The three weights are (L-R) 11 1/2lb 2 1/2lb and 10lb. It sounds very much like a No. 74B but the weights don't match a rightup I have about that model. Is the 592 in any way a model number or a serial number. I would like to know what model works the clock has, and when the works were built. Thank you for any information you could help me with.

Default Re: Seth Thomas 3 weight tall clock (RE: Yozydog)

In Tran duy Ly's "Long Case Clocks and Standing Regulators" Part 1, there is a side view of ST movement #74C. The movement is mounted on a cast iron bracket, chimes on a nest of four bells and beats out the hours on a "cathedral bell" which is not included in the picture but it's hammer is shown.

Some pictures of your clock and its movement would help a whole lot Yozydog.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: Seth Thomas 3 weight tall clock (RE: Eckmill)

Thanks for your reply. I have that book. Here are three pictures with the face and moon dial removed. Thanks for your help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	124100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	124101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	124102