Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 918 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Help to adjust Kundo anniversary clock's ball pendulum

I picked up this clock at a thrift shop and need some help to get the 4-ball pendulum to rotate. The clock runs on a C-cell. It is made in Germany. I have attached pictures of the front and back. My problem is this: there is a 6 point white wheel which jerks counter-clockwise roughly at the rate of once per second. The 4-ball pendulum is hanging by what looks like an unwound spring. At the height of the white wheel, a black piece of plastic attached to that spring. In the center of the white wheel, there is a circular spring whose end seems to have been disconnected from the black piece of plastic.

IMHO, it seems that the white wheel, in its jerky movement, butts against the black plastic on which the pendulum is hanging, then, when the spring located at the center of the white wheel tightens up, it pulls the black plastic away from the white wheel and, in the process, the unwound spring holding the pendulum twists back, and the balls rotate.

Am I imagining things or is this the process to make the balls rotate back and forth? In the meantime, the clock is happily running. Also, there are 2 screws [rheostats?] which I assume would help to regulate the movement. Is this correct?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010504.jpg   P1010506.jpg   P1010508.jpg  

Registered user.

Default Re: Help to adjust Kundo anniversary clock's ball pendulum (RE: supermanx1a)

Hi
    It would seem that the white wheel with the coil spring is suppose to kick
    the pendulum occasionally to keep it spinning. I'd think that the pendulum
    would need to be relatively close to the clocks speed to make it take the
    impulse at the right time.
    As for adjusting. I only see one adjustment for clock speed and that is
    the brass and green plastic thing right near the top of the suspension
    spring. Do not fiddle with it without access to a good frequency counter.
    It only adjust a small amount of time, full range. Maybe +- 5 seconds
    a day or so. If the clock is more than that much off, you'd need to
    replace the crystal( that tin can to the left of the suspension ).
    In any case, the pendulum is just there for looks and has no speed
    function in the clock.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Help to adjust Kundo anniversary clock's ball pendulum (RE: Tinker Dwight)

Here's the way similar Kundo battery anniversaries operate. This one probably does too.

The pendulum has nothing to do with timekeeping. It's just for appearance. It's suspended from a spring similar to a regular Horolovar spring, except it doesn't have a fork. It has a molded on projection sticking out toward the movement.

The movement has an impulse wheel (white) that is spring loaded. It impulses the pendulum projection in one direction only. When the projection is going in the same direction as the wheel, it gets impulsed. When it's going in the other direction, the wheel slips backward on its spring and doesn't do anything, including retard the pendulum.

The movement doesn't need any rate adjustment: it's quartz regulated.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Registered user.

Default Re: Help to adjust Kundo anniversary clock's ball pendulum (RE: supermanx1a)

Thanks for the info; but, does that mean that I should attach [glue] the end of the coiled spring, located inside the impulse wheel, to the black part which is on the suspension spring? I just need to get the ball pendulum to rotate. Right now, it is just hanging there.

I mentioned the adjustment screw because when you install the back of the movement, there is a hole exactly behind it and light scratches give me the impression that somebody may have turned it one way or the other. I have not yet looked into the accuracy of time keeping.

The impulse wheel won't start the pendulum by itself. Turn the pendulum one full turn by hand, and let it go. The impulse wheel should keep it going from then on. Don't glue anything. Just give the pendulum a start. As the projection passes the impulse wheel going to the right, one of the prongs on the wheel will give it a little nudge. That's all it takes to keep it going. Impulse in one direction. Inertia will handle the rest.

Registered user.

Default Re: Help to adjust Kundo anniversary clock's ball pendulum (RE: bangster)

What about the coiled spring inside the impulse wheel? It is attached at the center but its end is loose. Surely, it must be attached to something. The black plastic piece? I placed that black piece against the cogs of the impulse wheel and I turned the pendulum like you said. The impulse wheel went against the plastic piece and kept jerking a few times before the piece was kicked off, waiting to be caught against the next cog. In the meantime, the pendulum swung back but did not restart the rotation. I still suspect the coiled spring inside the impulse wheel.

By the way, just to be on the safe side, I assume the suspension spring should be available with its 3 attachments somewhere [1 at the top, 1 at the bottom and 1 in the middle]?

Jerking is exactly what it's supposed to do, when it's opposing the reverse motion of the pendulum. One end of the spring is un-anchored so it will do that. Here comes "tooth" on the spring, heading to the right. As it passes the impulse wheel, one of the prongs give it a nudge. Tooth comes back, heading in the other direction. as it hits a prong of the impulse wheel, the wheel jerks while the tooth is going by.

Understand: The idea is a constantly rotating impulse wheel that only works when the thing it's impulsing is going in the right direction. It can't counter-impulse the thing when it comes back the other way; that would slow it down and eventually stop it. So when the thing comes back the other way, the wheel stops turning. The arbor that drives it keeps turning; the wheel doesn't. It stops and slips on the arbor, twitching because the arbor is still spinning in its innards.

To repeat: when the pendulum is spinning in one direction, the impulse wheel should help it. When it's spinning in the opposite direction, the impulse wheel should slip and twitch until the spring extension drops past it, then continue rotating.

Put in a good battery. Give the pendulum a good start. It should keep going.

Let me know if I've described it well enough.
    Let me know if it's not doing that.
    Last edited by bangster; 03-13-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

"the pendulum swung back but did not restart the rotation."
    The pendulum must be free to turn irregardless of the kick from the movement. If it is touching the bottom cup, it won't run. It should continue to rotate back and forth for about a minute without any assistance. There may be a locking mechanism under the base to lock the pendulum by raising the cup. Make sure there is no interference at the bottom of the clock.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Help to adjust Kundo anniversary clock's ball pendulum (RE: harold bain)

Good point, Harold.

Registered user.

Folks, I don't know what to call this. Maybe "Unprofessional Creativity"?
    Here is what happened. As I was trying the things Bangster suggested, I noticed the spring, on which the pendulum hangs, broke at the bottom where you hang the pendulum. It was late at night and I confess I was too lazy at that point to go online hunting for a replacement. In my basement, I have little decorative doodads hanging on a solid fish line and visitors always wonder, until they are close, how those doodads are hanging.

I took the fish line and made a loop at the bottom for the ball pendulum. I attached the top to the case and then glued a small piece of plastic about 1 cm square at the height of the impulse wheel. Like Bangster advised, I rotated the pendulum a full 360 degree turn and let go. I figured that, at a worst case scenario, the pendulum would just hang there. Well, guess what! Lo and behold, after the piece of plastic got jammed against the cog of the impulse wheel, it jerked or bounced and the pendulum turned in the opposite direction. I waited and, like you said, it started turning again and again, each time in the opposite direction. So, I accidently solved my problem.

The thing is, I still don't understand the reason behind the presence of the coiled spring inside the impulse wheel. In theory, a spring is supposed to pull or push things. This one just sits there.

Registered user.

Hi
    I believe the spring is suppose to work like a ratchet. If pushed
    one way, it should slip. If the other way, it would jam and spring
    back.
    Just a guess.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

Hi Superman, one end of coil spring should be attaced to the white wheel. So when one of the teeth touch the plastic flag on the suspension spring, the while wheel will gentally push the plastic flag to turn the suspension spring so to turn the pendulum. The spring coil in the white wheel working as a torc spring so when the flag is turning completely difference direction when hitting the white wheel, the white wheel axal can still turning forward without stoping because the coil spring allow the white wheel to turn back while its axal is turn forward. So when this hard hit moment, the clock will not loss a beat.
    Ming

Default Re: Help to adjust Kundo anniversary clock's ball pendulum (RE: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    Hi
    I believe the spring is suppose to work like a ratchet. If pushed
    one way, it should slip. If the other way, it would jam and spring
    back.
    Just a guess.
    Tinker Dwight
    Exactly right. As is what Ming said.

I doubt that fishline can build up enough torsion to keep the pendulum oscillating, but we shall see.

Default Re: Help to adjust Kundo anniversary clock's ball pendulum (RE: bangster)

Some Regula cuckoos use the same principle in their sprocket wheels: a spring instead of a ratchet. When the wheel tries to turn one way, the spring tightens and grips the arbor, preventing it from turning. When the wheel tries to turn the other way, the spring relaxes and allows it to turn. The "chinese finger-catcher" principle.