Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: Erie Regulator

Registered user.

Default Erie Regulator

Hi, I came across information about a clock i have and see if others can conferm it. I found 2 clocks (internet search) called Erie Regulator which are copies of an Ansonia clock. One of these has the original papers indicating that the original (Ansonia) clock, made in the 1880-90 was called the Erie Regulator and made for American Express. A search of the history of American Express indicates the dates would be consistent. Picture 1 shows my clock, Identical to those called Erie Regulator.

You will recognize that the clock looks like the Ansonia Queen Isabella. Picture 2 shows a picture of a Queen Isabella. I found information in a paper called Antique Wall Clock Origins by Peter Eisham that reports that the Ansonia Clocks that have Queen ---- names were made as advertising clocks for different companies. This would seem to support the above info.

In a search (google) of Ansonia Quees Isabella, you will find a number of clocks listed as copies of this clock. They also are identical to mine. The movement on mine is stamped with the logo for Sam Heung, Korea. I have no idea of a date for manufacture, but estimate 1950s. It is made of solid walnut, movement is quality made and in the style of the arched movement made by Ansonia. Any information is desired. Charles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1959. 2.jpg   230_1.jpg  

Default Re: Erie Regulator (By: laumeg)

Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I have the exact same clock. However, I don't have the white pendulum arc gauge at the bottom. How do you like your clock? Did you pay a lot? My time part wasn't working, but I lubed it up and had to adjust the pendulum weight to the top to get it to work. It seems OK now. I know it is a reproduction, but I like it. Very distinctive clock. Did you get any more info about it? Thanks, Tom

Default Re: Erie Regulator (By: robodog61)

I purchased this clock from AMEX in the late 70's for $149. It has held up extremely well. It is currently undergoing a cleaning and lubrication treatment as I was having to wind it almost twice a week. I appreciate learning of your background search history on this model as the repair shop was unaware of the model and its inner workings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan0002.pdf  

Default Re: Erie Regulator (By: Erieregulator fan)

Merritt's sold these Korean-made clocks about 20-25 years ago.